How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-03-2004
kit
tfs star

What about THIS :-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,...1167103,00.html

Amusing but true ?

KIT

13-03-2004
front row

I can't believe this woman's friend was so serious about her friend's hair! Having a "talk" with her because she doesn't like how she does her hair? How shallow!

13-03-2004
Proponent of Plaid

I know I read the article and got pissed off on the author's behalf. Her mom dogs on her hair, her sister gives her straightening irons...she's surrounded by rude people! I'd probably get quite snarky with anyone who intervened with me and said, "Well, AYLI, your color---you know it is kind of fake...and that length? Um, no offense, but you look like a redheaded soccer mom." Yeah, they'd be wearing a size-8 up their butt in pretty short order.

Curly hair can be quite pretty, and whether she wears her hair natural or not shouldn't be anyone else's business. Too bad she didn't post some before and after pictures. I'm sure her hair was nice both ways, but straight hair doesn't work for everyone.

flaunt the imperfection

tragic....that's the only word that comes to mind...absolutely tragic...the pressure we women get to conform is just f...ing tragic...i know puh-lenty of girls with this dilemma in nyc...and may i add...in addition to straightening...no one is a natural blonde....

i myself have naturally jet black wavy hair...natural being the operative word...so f... 'em all!!!

13-03-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
no one is a natural blonde
Erm...yes they are...

I have naturally wavy hair - my girlfriend says I'm a woman and I have ringlets but I refuse to go straight...

EDITED for Freudian slip...

& b

Oh my

V.I.P.

"When it gets humid, it's almost a Jewfro," Johanna is saying with brutal frankness. I blanch. For a Jew, my hair is not that curly.

Hmm...Does anyone else find this offensive?
I'm speaking as a straight-haired, redheaded Jewish girl, of course...

13-03-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Mar 13th, 2004 - 4:55 pm
Quote:
no one is a natural blonde
Erm...yes they are...

I have naturally wavy hair - my girlfriend says I'm a woman and I have ringlets but I refuse to go straight...

EDITED for Freudian slip...
well, prince...i'll give you that in europe you're more likely to find some natural blondes...

i was just quoting one of my friends who is a hairstylist and always jokes about that...ny being such a melting pot, a natural blonde is hard to come by...although..'blondes' are everywhere...

i was speaking aboout ny because that's where the article was written... my apologies to all the flaxen-haired beauties out there

13-03-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Oh, yeah, sorry I forgot...it's just where I live there's loads so you tend to forget...

V.I.P.

"I have always found it morally wrong; shouldn't you stick with what God gave you, refuse to deny your ethnic heritage by pretending to be something you're not? New York is full of curly-haired brunette Jewish girls who've reinvented themselves as poker-straight blond streaky preppies. And yet ... I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror: this morning's greasy application of Secret Agent Flawless Finishing Crème is struggling hopelessly against my tendency to pouf up into a, well, a Jewfro."

I am really not liking that term...

13-03-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Yeah, I found the term kind of offensive, too. I'm not really so sure why, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. Some of my family is Jewish (I'm non-religious) and we've mostly got kind of boring, slightly-wavy/mostly straight light-brown hair. *yawn* Well, I dye mine a fairly obnoxious auburn shade, but that is because I don't like my haircut much, so I color it to make it more interesting.

etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Mar 14th, 2004 - 1:35 am
"I have always found it morally wrong; shouldn't you stick with what God gave you, refuse to deny your ethnic heritage by pretending to be something you're not? New York is full of curly-haired brunette Jewish girls who've reinvented themselves as poker-straight blond streaky preppies. And yet ... I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror: this morning's greasy application of Secret Agent Flawless Finishing Crème is struggling hopelessly against my tendency to pouf up into a, well, a Jewfro."

I am really not liking that term...
i dont think i'll go through the article but from what i read here, i'd say its gross and lame to generalise hair texture regarding race..
any race 'branding' could make me go

i'd never get hysterical about hair, seems weird that people can write whole articles on something like this.. waste of energy

13-03-2004
flaunt the imperfection

lena's on target...it's a fluff piece given to a young writer...she's trying to get some attention by using what she hopes is a catchy phrase or term...not really worth spending too much time on...

13-03-2004
etre soi-meme

i really think Guardian is suffering from poor 'style' contributors..
(including the 'Ladystyle' journalist) this article almost ridicules jewish girls.. how pathetic

hope the Guardian style chief editor secretly follows tFS forums

13-03-2004
seagreen serenades

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Mar 13th, 2004 - 11:24 pm
i'd say its gross and lame to generalise hair texture regarding race..
any race 'branding' could make me go

After years of the 'why don't you look like a leprechaun' comments, I have to agree.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
great, it's, straight, you're