How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-05-2009
i'm almost ready..

that video is amazing!
i've been cutting my own hair lately.. it's growing out after having shaved it a year and a half ago, and it's pretty curly so it looks okay.. messy but tolerable!. :p i should go and get it done professionally but i'm sort of addicted to doing it myself now.. i'm really not very good but there's something satisfying about doing it yourself and learning along the way..

10-11-2009
front row

^everything you said there is 100% true for me, down to shaving it a year and a half ago. i have my friends cut the back.

if your hair is thick and not perfectly straight, go for it!

10-11-2009
rising star

Cutting my own hair would be nothing short of an adventure with an uncertain outcome.

front row

^ that's the fun of it haha
But I've learned to leave any major cutting to a pro. I always cut my own bangs though, they grow so fast that I don't have the time to go to a stylist every 2 weeks for a trim. And I always cut them how I like them and sometimes the stylist cuts them different.

13-11-2009
backstage pass

It depends on what kind of look you want. I've done my own cut when I wanted it short (chin-length) and messy. When I tried bangs I always cut them myself, I was really good at it too.

Now that my hair is fairly long, I want sleek, even ends, so I'd never touch it myself with scissors.

front row

^very true. When I had a very sleek vidal sassoon style bob I wouldn't dare do anything but trim the bangs but when I had a longer shaggy, textured bob it really made little difference if I cut into it myself

13-11-2009
rising star

I've cut my own hair for as long as I can remember.. i've got thick semi-wavy hair so the cut never even shows so it can be cut as terribly as I like ....

13-11-2009
front row

^ haha that's awesome! My hair is the opposite, fine and super straight so if I mess up it's going to show big time, you're lucky.

14-11-2009
V.I.P.

i think it was about 6 years ago that i visited my hairdresser to cut my hair :p i either do it myself or my mum does it for me (she actually has been a hairdresser for quite a long time)

14-11-2009
front row

Yes, my bangs. And the bob i've got now.

14-11-2009
V.I.P.

I used to cut my own hair, but now my best friend for almost 2 years is a hair dresses so she does everything with my hair for free..or I have to make her dinner^^

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty87kat View Post
I used to when I had long layered hair, but now its so short, I can't see the back. Too difficult. Any short haired ladies cut their own hair here?
same here. when I had long hair, i cut it myself. but now i am too scared to ruin it completly.

edit: does anyone have pics of your self-cut hair?

Last edited by myown; 15-04-2011 at 04:08 AM.
01-05-2011
scenester

I've cut my hair for some time now. Never anything drastic though (except the time when I chopped it all off...), just evening out or layering a bit. However, it's really hard/impossible to cut from the back by yourself so I do need to go to the salon sometimes...

Anyhow, I cut myself a fringe today!

I'm still a little bit undecided if I like it or not, but my hair grows really fast so I don't have to worry about it.

By the way, it's also a good idea to buy a cheap wig and practice the technique if you're cutting your hair for the first time. Also you get to try the wig on to see if the cut fits you or not

17-05-2011
V.I.P.

i do. i cut/color my own hair. ppl always think im a hair stylist..lol

08-06-2011
trendsetter

I feel like this thread is made for me - I cut my own hair, I've been growing it out, and have been self-trimming for awhile, but in general I only actually get a cut in a salon maybe once a year. The rest of the time I go it alone using my sewing shears since they're the sharpest. What I do is I section off my hair, and then twist the sections with my fingers, and then just snip off the very very end of the section. I do this all over my head, or usually just the areas I want shorter. The smaller the twists, the less choppy it looks. I take off max maybe 1/3rd of an inch. I do this a few days in a row carefully to make sure I get my whole head and that I don't take off too much at a time, then as a final touch I do the sections again with my thinning shears, because I hate 'choppy' haircuts.

It's a kind of complicated process, once my hair is longer it will be easier for me to trim myself. I maybe trim it this way once every 3 or 4 months, but try to go as long as possible.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair, selfcut