How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-05-2009
V.I.P.

Im FOR SURE cutting my hair like Audrey Tautou's! I seem to have the same hair texture... thickness/waves/curls & Ive been admiring it for awhile & have been obsessively wanting a pixie cut too so have just decided to go for it. I have to wait until after June 12th though because I have a dance performance & have to wear my hair a certain way but after that SNIP SNIP!! LOL

Last edited by Tiffany7; 07-05-2009 at 08:42 PM.

10-05-2009
backstage pass

hey everyone! i just spent a few hours lurking this thread, loving the short styles you all look lovely!
i'm thinking of chopping of all my hair, any suggestions? here's what it looks like now..

i'm thinking of something like these:

my hair is pretty thick and coarse, and wavy, but its usually a bit easier to deal with when its shorter!
i'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks

image credits: earlier in this thread, instyle.com

10-05-2009
V.I.P.

oh that 2nd last would suit you so well!!!!

12-05-2009
Making a Mess

^ I agree. I say go for it!

I'm cutting my hair short again. Not that short but probably to my shoulders. I did it last summer and I loved it. But I've kind of been in a hair rut since the winter. I got side bangs which are just too high maintenance for me so I've been waiting for those to grow out. And I look at pictures of when I had super long hair and I begin to miss it. However my hair is at that super awkward stage right now (not short but not long) and its time to make a decision to stick it out or chop it off.

V.I.P.

I also love the second but (and you are gorgeous as well btw ), but I think it requires a hell lot of styling, so the second last might be an option as well if you're not into styling for hours in the morning

backstage pass

thanks for the help guys! i have an appointment on thursday so i'll let everyone know how it goes, and maybe get some pics.

party_vixen: i hate that super awkward stage, i vote cut it off again, it takes to long to grow out past the awkward stage, and beyond that it seems to take forever for a noticable difference in length! so frusterating, in my opinion at least.

12-05-2009
V.I.P.

rainy spring yes, please post picture. I bet you look wonderful in short hair, you have those face features that make short hair to suit you.

13-05-2009
V.I.P.

^^thank you very much for the sweet karma, crossed fingers that your hairdresser appointment turns out how you hope to and we definitely would love to see some pictures

scenester

Short hairstyles for dark skinned girls...
Hello!

Have been thinking about this a lot, and have yet to have the nerve to do it, but it's time...

Errr... I guess celeb wise i look a lot like zoe saldana, kinda freakishly so, same body shape, nose etc etc... And even more annoyingly so, same hairstyle. I find that she doesnt really change her hair, I havent in like ten years either, so can't really blame her... It's really hard, like i have medium length hair, and i wear tracks to make it longer, have been doing this forever, cos in fashion it was easier for hairdressers to style, and for me I guess.
I feel sooo boring these days, and I envy all the girls who can get radical hair cuts etc... But other african / mixed / and girls of general exotic ethnicities know that it takes ages for our hair to grow, and like shaggy bobs stay that way for like all of a day and then its mad.. so unlike friends, its not like I can just make mistakes and wait for it to grow out.

Anyways.. like zoes off duty look, my hair is always straight and long, i have attached pictures of her here for you to see... Does anyone have any ideas what to do?

I def want to go a bit shorter I think, I have been working out a lot recently and it's getting really annoying, as once i sweat it gets super curly and well.. Anyways.

Just wandering if anyone is in a similar situation and has any ideas, based on zoes face / nose shape of course... I will be soo grateful.

She always looks awesome on the red carpet but just thinking everyday at the moment... thanks again.

pics from zoesaldana.us and creoleindc.typepad.com

16-05-2009
tfs star

I cut mine short in September. I had around 13 inches hacked off and i loved it. However, i really want to grow it out right now. It looks so gross at the stage it is at though. (i dont know the terms lol) Basically, at the back, a little to the side of my neck, there are long pieces that flick out and i HATE them, im having to pin them back now. I do want it cutting but i really would prefer for it to grow overnight haha. No, but seriously, is there anything that anyone can suggest that might speed up this growth process, I just want it to be a little past shoulder length. nice and short but not AS short as it is now.
I know im probably asking a really dumb question but i thought id go ahead and see if you guys new of anything?

16-05-2009
vertebrae by vertebrae

^ ohh I can relate, I'm the same way... I can't deal with the flippy bits at the bottom during that phase.

basically I keep cutting the back tight into a bob until the top/long part reaches the hairline in the back, then do a clean, even slice all the way around and grow out from there. that way at least it's a bit more manageable during the gross/annoying stages

16-05-2009
i'm almost ready..

i can relate too, unfortunately! i went shaved head > pixie cut > awkward stage.. and i'm still in the awkward stage now i think. :p it looks a bit better, those curly bits that you described have sort of grown longer.. but now i feel like i have an early 90s soccer mum haircut.. in the shape of a pixie cut but the hair is long instead of short, if that makes sense. i can't seem to get it to the stage where the top grows down long enough that i can cut the whole thing one length. it's painful..

i unfortunately don't have any tips as i am struggling myself.. but hang in there..i feel your pain

19-05-2009
tfs star

Im glad that you both knew what i meant because i just couldnt explain it lol. I cant stand those flicky bits haha.
I like to know what i want, go out to the hairdressers and be able to get it. When my hair was super long, i was fine to do that because it was so versatile. Now, however, its a choice between going shorter again or waiting it out while its a MOP! lol.
I have given in waiting and ive booked in at the hairdressers for Friday. i am going to post a picture later on and ask for you guys to give me some advice. I like having a drastic change but short of shaving it all off (which i do NOT want to do), im stuck for ideas!

20-05-2009
backstage pass

good luck at your hair appointment xxilovepinkxx! i hope it goes well.
my hairdresser was pretty reluctant to cut all mine off, she said i could come back and she'd give me a deal if i wanted to go shorter, so here's the length its at right now:

but i got a lot cut off still, so i'm happy, and i'll think about going back .. we'll see.
the hairdresser did say that she cut more of my head then she normally cuts in a day! haha

20-05-2009
tfs star

^ i dont think you should go shorter, i really really like that cut on you. I think it looks lovely.
I had mine done like...soooo short. honestly. They had to keep sweeping the hair away because every time i saw it i started crying! haha
It wasnt sadness, it was this weird feeling. Pfft. To think that a year ago, id go insane if someone cut more than an inch off haha
Im terrified about the hairdressers!
I think i might post a picture in the Style My Hair thread and see what others say ( :
Seriously, your cut is lovely. [and you're really pretty too]

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair, short