How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-03-2008
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

The_Ida - beautiful hair!

My hair, too, is long.

I do not get my hair trimmed frequently at all. I think it had been six months before I got mine trimmed last... I wear mine up most of the time, so it's not noticeable when I need a reshaping. Each time I get my hair trimmed I ask how my ends look, and my stylish always says good - and she only needs to take off 1/2 inch.

I don't blow-dry my hair - I let my hair air dry.

Also, I do not wash every day... every few days, at most (I have very dry skin/hair/scalp)

17-03-2008
trendsetter

I have the same problem plus my hair falls out alot I have no idea why it falls out but the woman who cuts my mom's hair said that my hair is growing (I always have it short but let it grow out)and that is why my hair is falling out so much. I am not sure if that makes sense

27-03-2008
trendsetter

^ I have that same problem too, along with an insane amount of split ends. Tresemme makes a heat tamer protective spray that a lot of people I know swear by, I used it all up and while it didn't wipe out all split ends, it certainly made a difference. You put it on before you straighten or blow dry your hair because the heat damages your hair.

Last edited by june gloom; 27-03-2008 at 06:16 PM.
29-03-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzie stevens View Post
bradding your hair usually can cause split ends.
I don't think it's actually the braiding that causes this, but the elastic band you use to fasten the braid can snap ends. Regardless of whether it's braided, ponytailed, bunned... take care when using elastic bands and although there is no fool proof way to avoid split ends completely, avoid the bands with metal on them.

In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florecita86 View Post
I have the same problem plus my hair falls out alot I have no idea why it falls out but the woman who cuts my mom's hair said that my hair is growing (I always have it short but let it grow out)and that is why my hair is falling out so much. I am not sure if that makes sense
My hair stylist told me that hair replaces itself every 7th year, and that's why I'm shedding at the moment (I'm 21 now). I still have lots of hair, though.

we were in love

27-04-2008
V.I.P.

cut it? I don't have a lot of split ends and I guess it's because I usually let my hair fall. And I don't comb unless it's necessary. I use conditioner when I feel I have to (about 2 times a month usually). I never wear any product in my hair. I wash it with schampoo and let it dry by itself (although I've heard that caused dandruff.. but I try to lay on the cool side with blowing my hair). I almost never use a deep conditioner although I should .

A haircut is the best way, it makes your hair fresh and it actually grows more afterwards

13-05-2008
backstage pass

as far as i know you can't do anything about the split ends once you've already developed them. the only way to get rid of it is cut it off. but you can do a lot to prevent your hair from splitting up:

- use conditioners and nutrifying serums
- don't use products that contain silicone
- don't blow-dry
- aviod to comb your hair as long as it is still wet after washing
etc

13-05-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindi View Post
- don't use products that contain silicone
I have to disagree. Silicones don't hurt hair, and they can actually help guard against damage by sealing the hair shaft. It's especially important to use them when using heating tools. They also smooth out the strand and make it easier to work with (less snagging while brushing, etc.) As a bonus, they can temporarily conceal existent split ends. So I actually use them in my hair products all the time. Some don't use them for a couple reasons, but they have to avoid using heat styling products as well.

13-05-2008
front row

i avoid using products with silicones beause they create a lot of build up in the hair, but i guess it's fine if you use a clarifying shampoo once in a while.

but they don't really help split ends in the long run..i think

13-05-2008
trendsetter

Yeah, build-up can become a problem. It blocks moisture from penetrating so your hair dries out after a while. That can cause split ends. But you needn't avoid them entirely, just the 'worse' ones--dimethicone and cyclopentasiloxane. Then you don't need to clarify as much, which obviously dries out your hair as well. (A clarifying shampoo uses sodium lauryl sulfate by the way, while a gentle one uses sodium laureth...)

They certainly can't mend split ends, but they're good for protection. They're kind of neutral really, just depends on how you use them.

15-05-2008
tfs star

has anyone tryed the new nivea diamond gloss split ends fluid??

trendsetter

jep, me. and it does not work.

tfs star

that's what i thought -.-

V.I.P.

This wont cure split ends but if you dont brush your hair while wet you should get less of them. Hair is something like 70% weaker when wet.

15-05-2008
front row

The best product that I have used for split ends is Redken's anti-snap. It really works.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ends, split