How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-04-2009
backstage pass

lol, mousequerader, I love how you disguised your face! So cute.

I have really thick hair as well. I'm not complaing though, it's better than having thin hair imo.

11-04-2009
Nyx
front row

I love how people keep referring to thick hair gone wrong as mum-jeans... captures my experience so well

What kind of brushes do you use for styling? I have medium-length hair that naturally flips outwards in the dorkiest way, and I'd like to have it inwards like mousquerader's (adorable hairstyle, girl!). Most brushes just don't seem to have long enough spikes or something to go through my hair all the way. Lately I've started to just pull it straight with my fingers when blow-drying You can imagine how effective that is...

11-04-2009
trendsetter

i have really thick (diameter wise) and lush (density wise) hair which is like wavy-ish straight.
the hair dresser in hong kong always tell me to chemically straigten my hair (straigt perm).
i just absolutely hate the idea of me with straight hair.
just thick hair look good with waves that starts from ears and kinda get curly near the end??

windowshopping

I have extremely thick hair. I'd really like to straighten it but it would take FOREVER to straighten my entire head. So it's really annoying. Don't get me wrong, I like the thickness of my hair; people with thin hair are constantly reminding me I'm lucky. But it gets in the way every now and then.

How is hair typically thinned out?

backstage pass

^ I'm not sure if every stylist does it the same way but mine has special scissors designed especially for thinning. It's like scissors with a comb on one side, kind of hard to explain. Sorry, that doesn't really explain much. It actually really does make the hair thinner though.

rising star

^
Same way here

tfs star

for an asian i have really weird features about me like my hair!
i haven't used a hair dyer since primary school and my hair would be more thicker if i did blowdry and i haven't used a brush in awhile....but all i do is use organic shampoo and conditioner and i just air dry it which leaves my hair nice smelling and great shine cause i have waveyish but thick hair and styling my hair would be a hairdressers nightmare

yes there is there one time occasion where i have to straighten my hair which leaves my hair thicker! and to solve this i found out that my non-washed hair(meaning i cleaned my hair on mon but not tues) which goes a bit softer is that i add anti-freeze and straighten with my ghd and i do my hair in layers.

so that life for my thick hair...

Last edited by mrsjamesdean; 20-04-2009 at 09:55 AM.
30-04-2009
windowshopping

Has anyone ever gotten their hair thinned out? How did it feel afterwards? I've heard thinning your hair tends to damage it.

V.I.P.

^ Quite late with the answer but, my expierence with thinning out hair: it doesn't necessarily damage it, but it doesn't really help either. At least not, if you are sick of your thick hair and want it to be less heavy and ...well, thinner. Because the only result you get, is that you'll have quite a lot of layers afterwards which only makes your hair appear more voluminous and puffy. But, as I said: this is my expierence.

rising star

Naturally I have thick hair AND curls. I have it thinned out. The only problem with thinning is that it loses it's shape rather quickly. You know, the hairstyle... and the split ends.... but maybe that's because I use a flat iron almost on a daily basis. I know it's bad but I don't like curls either.

front row

Does anybody else have really thick hair but really fine strands? I'm struggling to find a flattering cut - my hair has no volume because it weighs itself down.

Also, to add one more opinion to the "thinning" topic - it always makes me look like a mushroom! No matter the stylist, no matter the length.

15-01-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel View Post
Does anybody else have really thick hair but really fine strands? I'm struggling to find a flattering cut - my hair has no volume because it weighs itself down.

Also, to add one more opinion to the "thinning" topic - it always makes me look like a mushroom! No matter the stylist, no matter the length.
I have a similar problem with regards to styling my thick and wavy hair. I somewhat of a rounded face and "edgy" or buzzed cuts don't work on me.

I can't have short-ish hair (like Cole Mohr) because products, even the most expensive, cannot hold my thick wavy hair in place.

But I can't have long hair either (like those hippie guys) because my hair become so heavy that it'll just flatten down like a wet dog.

And when I have the right length the only way to style it properly is to straighten it, but it makes me look like a mushroom, and since I have very very very dark hair it looks like a bowl cut from any angle. The only way I can make it look decent is to dye my hair into light brown, but then I have to suffer with very dry damaged hair so I and other people can only enjoy my "sexy looking hair" for only a couple of weeks.

And then I end up having to cut it and the process starts all over again.

17-01-2010
rising star

I like to think I have thick hair, thick and blonde

I quite like it.

rising star

I've actually heard that thinning your hair with the thinning scissors is bad for your hair as well. I've had mine thinned before too but what my stylists would do is twist locks of my hair and use the scissors to cut down the twisted hair so that bulk would be taken away rather than making the strand of hair thinner, if that makes any sense lol.

20-01-2010
fashion elite

My hair stylist slices through my hair instead of using thinning scissors to reduce volume and create a softer texture. Basically he takes very sharp scissors and slides them through the bottom layers without closing the blades. He usually does every second or third visit to the salon.

I think as long as you have regular trims at a salon and use a good deep conditioning mask once a week bobs can look great with thick hair.

This is a great mid length bob for thick hair:

hmhair.co.uk

p.s I LOVE your cut and colour mousquerader

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair