How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-02-2008
oh! darling

Thick Hair
There's a thread for thin/fine hair.

How about thick hair?

I guess I have to thank my South Korean mother for the hair I've been blessed with.

It's naturally wavy (from my father's side), but it's quite thick and quite dark. (It's difficult to dye because nothing shows up).

But I have gotten comments from every stylist I've been too that my hair is strong and could even be used as rope!

Just because it's thick doesn't make it necessarily difficult to style, curl, etc, but it's best look is straight and LONG.

26-02-2008
Storm & Sommer

I'm not sure I understand were you are trying to go with this topic ?
Are you asking for styling tips, hairstyle inspiration ?

pinterest : hanneonpin
26-02-2008
oh! darling

No, not so much.

But if anyone else does, maybe I and other members could shed some light on our experience with our own hair!

fashion elite

can we use it for gripes?
i was recently charged 20 bucks over the price list to get a blowout. most nykers pay 45. i pay 65. ugh.

not to mention---how much styling product go through---particularly leave in conditioner. I have to shampoo my hair in 5 sections. I have to seperate it to condition as well. (did i mention its insanely curly?) I love my hair, but i wish it wasn't sooo expensive.

01-06-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gia0202 View Post
can we use it for gripes?
i was recently charged 20 bucks over the price list to get a blowout. most nykers pay 45. i pay 65. ugh.

not to mention---how much styling product go through---particularly leave in conditioner. I have to shampoo my hair in 5 sections. I have to seperate it to condition as well. (did i mention its insanely curly?) I love my hair, but i wish it wasn't sooo expensive.
i have thick hair with big loose waves. i've been ripped off, 40 bucks for a trim... hm, some amount, that was way too much for blowdry, etc . . .

03-06-2008
front row

I have superthick hair and I've never been overcharged. MAybe it's just where I live.
I have a love/hate relationship with my hair. I'm glad it's not thinning anytime soon but when it gets hot, it frizzes and puffs out. Ick. I'm getting a cut Friday and hopefully getting it thinned out.
Anyone else get their hair thinned?

03-06-2008
tfs star

I think I've gotten charged more too. One thing that annoys me is not being to have short hair the way I want it. I've gotten better with having shorter hair and not having it get pouffy and big but I can't figure out how I can have it in a bob without having it look like the hair version of "mom jeans".

03-06-2008
windowshopping

I get my hair thinned out - I have very thick, very frizzy and very curly hair. The problem is, I don't wear it curly anymore, and to wear straight it needs to be really thinned out to prevent it from frizzing in humidity.

I'm often really overcharged as well, but I find an expensive haircut that lasts a good couple of months, makes my hair easier to style and grows out without losing its style is well worth it. When I was younger I used to hate my hair, and while even now sometimes it's very stubborn and frizz-prone, I have grown to love and get to know it better over the years

03-06-2008
front row

^Oh my! I totally know what you mean! I love short hair, bob style. Like Nicole Richie circa 2005 but it looks like a soccer mom on me when it's short. Once it grows out a bit, almost at my shoulders it doesn't look so bad. Any style above my ears looks like absolute crap!
How long is your hair now?

03-06-2008
tfs star

I actually cut my hair short last summer and it's currently about shoulder length. It was razored that time but then the little shorter hairs would flip outward and I hated that. I'm currently craving Alexa Chungs' short hair which I might attempt when the hot weather ends, but I don't know if I should bother. I wanted to find out if I could use a product to make it look less mom-jeans and add some texture to or something like that. Maybe I won't bother though and I'll just stick to longer hair but I hate having limited options for my hair.

03-06-2008
front row

^Have you ever tried "Dirt" by that Jonathan guy? It wasn't too bad, just don't use too much.

I find if I wash and dry my hair about an hour before bed, when I wake up my hair gets more flat and not so poofy. I just shampoo/condition with color safe shampoo (no volumizing or any of that stuff), put some hair serum in, dry, and go to bed. John Fredia's nighttime serum really helps in flatting it out too.

03-06-2008
tfs star

I might check that out but I was hoping for something I could buy that doesn't cost much. That product might be a good one for what I'm looking for though.

06-06-2008
tfs star

i had mine thinned, and it made the situation better. i cut it after years of having it too long, it grew in an "A" shape. then i cut it a few months later into a bob and it didn't look so bad, but it didn't look so good either. just the first day when they blowdryed it for me, i received compliments. i long for shiny, greasy, thin hair. mine is so dead looking

11-06-2008
rising star

I would like to get mine thinned, as it's just far too thick naturally...but i also have curly hair, and i've heard some bad stories about curly hair and the thinning scissors (something about little tendrils sticking up under the hair creating frizz etc.) Is thinning only recommended for straight hair?

18-06-2008
rising star

I've got think curly hair but my hairdresser always uses thinning scissors. I've never had problems with that. (I do use a flat iron though...don't like the curls)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair