How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-12-2004
windowshopping

Thin / Fine Hair
I have really thin shoulder length hair and it's really hard to maintain volume in it without cutting it short. Anyone have any advice on what types of haircut might be good? (I don't want to crop my hair short either)

19-12-2004
fashion insider

I can only advise to dry your hair special way. Sit down, pull you head down this way that its almost on the same level as your knees, and start drying with a hairdrier. I advise that you sit instead of standing, cos your head can go round, take care.

19-12-2004
offline.

I have the same problem. Fine hair. My only solution was cutting it shoulder lenght and adding A LOT of layers... now it looks much better than when I had it down to my back..

18-10-2005
windowshopping

Thin / Fine Hair
How are you supposed to style it, let alone work with it??

18-10-2005
lovely but empty

I got this shampoo from the vitamin section of local drugstore called Shen Min when I got this really crap haircut that made my thick hair really, really thin. It's technically shampoo for hair loss and thinning hair but it made my hair so much thicker and softer and shinier, and for $12 CAD. They have ointments and dietary supplements and stuff too, I'd highly, higly reccomend it. It's at http://www.shenmin.com if you can't find it in the drugstore.

25-02-2008
backstage pass

^ Does this product thicken all hair, or does it only restore hair to its former thickness? I'm asking because if it only does the latter, I don't want to waste time trying it when I have always had fine hair.

25-02-2008
fashion elite

This is the thread i needed to find. I think my hair might be getting thinner, or always was and i never noticed. Is there any advice out there for promoting hair growth and thickness?

backstage pass

I don't have thin/thinning hair, but the only thing that has worked for my fine hair thickness wise is doing what Luna did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
I have the same problem. Fine hair. My only solution was cutting it shoulder lenght and adding A LOT of layers... now it looks much better than when I had it down to my back..
Before everyone advised against having more than one or two layers (which didn't add any volume at all), but now I have an amazing hairdresser who really knows how to make many layers work and not look too 'choppy' on my fine hair. It does add quite a bit of volume even if I don't add any products to it.

He also recommended switching to a shampoo and conditioner specifically for fine hair, but I have yet to find an affordable one that I can buy nearby. He told me it would be a good idea to use a hair-dryer instead of drying my hair naturally. Another thing he said would help was washing my hair before I go to bed and sleeping with the hair brushed up above my head rather than flat underneath my head and shoulders. I've found that usually does add some volume, but I prefer to wash it in the morning.

I have done all of this and it has helped to a degree. It is not perfect for me, but I have to admit it has given the best results out of everything I've tried!

26-02-2008
tfs star

Maybe get some extensions to add volume?

02-03-2008
backstage pass

Has anyone else been told by their hairdresser that their hair is even too fine to be highlighted without severely damaging it/making it highly prone to damage?

03-03-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasian Mélange View Post
Has anyone else been told by their hairdresser that their hair is even too fine to be highlighted without severely damaging it/making it highly prone to damage?
Sadly, I wasn't told (warned, rather), but it can break off because of highlights or lightening.

30-05-2008
V.I.P.

recently a friend of mine from work told me that crushing birth control pills and then putting then in your shampoo works for making your hair thicker and stronger.

i haven't tried this yet but her hair is very thick. she said that her hair before was very thin and it would fall out a lot.

31-05-2008
front row

buy some vitamins for hair/nails those work or fish oil supplements (they work if you take them everyday, as directed) they will make your hair grow out really fast and thick. its the best thing ive used.

01-06-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiled View Post
buy some vitamins for hair/nails those work or fish oil supplements (they work if you take them everyday, as directed) they will make your hair grow out really fast and thick. its the best thing ive used.
i thought fish oil pills were only good for the heart?? I know Vitamin E is great for Nails/Skin/and Hair.

07-06-2008
backstage pass

Thin hair?
I've always had thinner hair, nothing TOO thin, but definitely not thick either. I'm naturally fair haired and made the decision to dye my hair a dark brown twice. The problem is, I liked it for a few months, then hated it and wanted to go back to blonde.. but not just blonde, platinum. And I also made the decision to bleach it out myself... :S

So now, my previous thinNER hair is just THIN, and limp and gross and I hate it.

Any products you can recommend that help regain thickness or ways to style it or something?

I really think I have to give up the platinum too

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fine, hair