How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-07-2009
tfs star

I like it best on Alexa, Sofia and Lou, especially in the picture where she's wearing the Chanel jacket.

21-07-2009
V.I.P.

I like two-tone hair cause it reminds me of surfer girls who got it like that for both sea salt and sun .. Megan hair's all the opposite.. more indoors, stripper indoors, actually.

I think Erin can pull this off at times.. it's just the contrast is too drastic so it often looks like another hipster hair statement.. I like the way it looks here, it's not that dark on the roots.

[madinsonmag.com.au]

Gisele's been doing this for years too, I first noticed it in her Missoni S/S 02 campaign, she looked amazing, like some kind of beach hippie.

The missoni coloration is probably a little extreme but I still think she brings it to real life very naturally.. cause the contrast isn't very severe and starts with dark blonde rather brown.

[herfamedgoodlooks.com]

V.I.P.

One more pic.. just because I think she carries this perfectly:

Arielle Pytka

[roxy.com]

rising star

i have two-tone hair as a result of built-up hair dye and i absolutely hate it! for me, it looks really unhealthy as i have dark brown hair naturally, and then the ends are this reddy gingery colour - it just doesn't look great. however in some of the pictures posted it definitely can work for some people!

mine's similar to rachel bilson's but hers looks much better as the lighter colour runs throughout her hair rather than just the ends, but i think she'd look better with it all her natural hair colour

seagreen serenades

I was half-expecting the thread to open with a picture of Cruella de Vil.

I think it works best where it seems the result of the person being laid-back about their appearance... not formulated. Also, I think all the hair needs to look really healthy...

21-07-2009
rising star

sorry, i forgot to put above, the photo is from www.rachel-bilson.org

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carysss View Post
i have two-tone hair as a result of built-up hair dye and i absolutely hate it! for me, it looks really unhealthy as i have dark brown hair naturally, and then the ends are this reddy gingery colour - it just doesn't look great. however in some of the pictures posted it definitely can work for some people!
I think those reddish ends can safely turn the idea into disaster.. it just doesn't look taken-care-of.. I've too had darker roots plus a faded color in the ends and it looks like all the opposite of this... I like the idea of an accidental exposure to the sun but I think the trick in pulling it off is to make it look intentional.. like Alexa's or Isabelle's.

Carmen Kass

[style.com]

don't look down

I have two-tone hair naturally, which is great if that's the look you're going for, if you're a student or someone arty - but if you're a professional, you cannot get away with it, no-one's going to be impressed, or figure out what the style references are. For every person who likes Alexa's look, there's someone else who wonders why such a good-looking girl ruins things by having 'unkempt curtains' for a hairstyle.

Last edited by tigerrouge; 21-07-2009 at 05:31 PM.
23-07-2009
i'm almost ready..

this is really hard to pull off properly i think.. i've never actually thought of it as something that would be done intentionally until going through this thread, but now that i focus on it i realise that when it's done well and with restraint, i really like it. i agree that the hair needs to be really healthy, i think if the ends are split or fried the whole thing just looks tacky. i also think it needs to be pretty subtle and look natural.. even if it isn't. :p

i saw this picture of rachel bilson today and thought it was a really good example of how it is done well.. and mullet the isabel picture is perfect. i see perhaps you too are now a quiet fan of her incredible beauty..

celebrity gossip

27-07-2009
i'm almost ready..

lily aldridge.. i love her hair. though i can't help but wonder if it would look any good if she wasn't so bloody pretty..

justjared

27-07-2009
Making a Mess

I think it helps that all of these girls are ridiculously gorgeous .

shake off your flesh

^ It never hurts.

28-07-2009
front row

Australians call it the "pip"

http://frockwriter.blogspot.com/sear.../pip%20edwards
http://frockwriter.blogspot.com/2009...-diaz-pip.html

fashion insider

I love it when it looks naturally.
Flavia Oliveira is quite a good example IMO.

fashionologie

chic and erikapalomino

same like above

getty

photoshot.com

I tried to color my hair that way but it kinda got reddish. That's a quite common thing to happen I guess.
But I'm definitely going to try it again. It looks pretty great if done right.

09-08-2009
don't look down

There was an article about 'blondettes' in the Daily Mail the other week:

Quote:
Why blondettes have more fun: How to achieve the low-maintenance look as sported by Gisele and Jen

You might not have heard of blonette (or blondette, depending on who you talk to), but it's pretty much the only hair colour to be sporting right now.

It might once have been called dirty blonde, or sunkissed brunette, but now that it's being showcased by the likes of Gisele Bundchen and Jennifer Aniston, it's got its own fashion name.

If you want to try it, bear in mind that you need to work with what you've got.

'Brunettes should ask their stylist for chunkier pieces of colour, rather than fine highlights, and you want to go for a gradually toned look that's blonder at the front but blends darker at the back,' explains Carmel Blackburne, colourist at John Frieda.

'Blondes will have dark sections put in, but it's subtler than previous colour jobs. The idea is to avoid that block look at the roots when you're growing it out. It's more low maintenance.'

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair, tone