How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-09-2009
V.I.P.

im doing my hair tomorrow. do you have any images of daria with the 2 tone color?

10-10-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerNuts View Post
I dont mind drews hair,, i think its the cut that makes it look a bit weird because its too blocked at the bottom ... If it was more straggly i say it would look really good...

I find it funny aussies call two toned hair 'the pip' I've heard of frosted Tips and Dip Dye but not Pip..great
it's after pip edwards a stylist socialite type who is from australia.. i recently learned

zimbo.com, primped.com

10-10-2009
trendsetter

Hmm, well, it is two-toned

jak&jil

10-10-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyJs View Post
Don't they call it candle lighting or something, when the ends of your hair are dyed a different tone to the rest? Or I might be imagining it...

I loved it on Lily Aldridge, actually all of these pictures look lovely... However, what I really don't like is hair that is a different colouor on the bottom and top layers. A friend of mine has naturally mousey blonde hair and she has the underneath dyed brown and the top dyed light blonde, and I really dislike it., I think I associate it with school girl hair as most of the girls at my school tried that look..

x

yeah or like at least in australia you typical hairdresser hair... i swear in just about every salon there are multiple girls with that two tone look..

04-11-2009
front row

oh, just stunning...

garancedore.fr

04-11-2009
backstage pass

this whole thing baffles me a bit too.... it just looks too much like what it looks like when you've just been lazy about your roots to me. the other way around is quite ordinary i think -- getting some lighter foils/highlights on those top, shorter layers of your hair -- but the whole gradual fade from brown to blonde... i don't know. perhaps it depends on the haircut? i just think that long and wavy with lighter ends might look glamorous in photos, but in person might look a bit like 'needs to call her hairdresser, stat.' it's just so subtle that it's not obvious if it was a decision, or laziness.

i totally had that terrible debbie harry / hairdresser bleached-and-black thing when i was in college though. sooooo probably not the most qualified opinion

04-11-2009
rising star

i guess it depends on the persons style to, people who have an undone style to the way they dress seem to pull off the look better

04-11-2009
oh! darling

^^ Oh, I do love that from Garance Dore!

Earlier in the thread, I said that my hair was two-toned only because I was too lazy to dye it after the roots were noticeably coming in. I'm too lazy to do anything about it anymore now that I see it's a trend.

tfs star

the only way this looks good is when you get your hair colored and let it grow out honestly...otherwise it just looks like a line.

06-11-2009
trendsetter

mote.no

06-11-2009
rising star

I have two tone hair, I think it works well on wavy hair. For my hair the top is dark brown, and fades into light caramel brown, with flickers of the lighter colour around the face. I do it because my eyes are dark brown, and I look very washed out with light brown hair and darker eyes & eyebrows, the two-tone just balances my face out..

06-11-2009
rising star

I'm surprised no one is using the technical term for this look. Id you plan on getting this look professionally done ask for balayage highlights.

Heres some info I found on the internet (wisegeek.com):

" Balayage is a hair coloring technique which is designed to create very natural-looking highlights which grow out without developing a noticeable and obvious root.

This coloring technique emerged in Paris in the 1970s; the word “balayage” is French for “to sweep,” a reference to the way in which the color is applied. After crossing the pond to the United States, balayage became extremely popular in the late 1990s. In the United States, you may see balayage spelled “balliage.”

When hair is colored with the balayage process, the highlights are painted on by hand in a sweeping motion which moves from the base to the tip of the hair. At the base, the color is applied very lightly, while at the tip, the color is very heavy. The result is a chunky highlight which looks naturally sunbleached, and as the hair grows out, the root will be concealed for the first few months by the thinner color applied to the base of the hair. "

08-11-2009
front row

My hair is a bit two toned. It's more of a reddish-brown higher up and dark brown lower.

11-11-2009
backstage pass

few pix of a girl on lookbook with really extreme dark brown with blonde ends who i saw and thought of this thead, despite all my 'eww' comments, seems to work well here:

from lookbook.nu/paula_rox

Last edited by classicalbang; 11-11-2009 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Please do not use links as credits
11-11-2009
don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
I'm surprised no one is using the technical term for this look. Id you plan on getting this look professionally done ask for balayage highlights.
Although the more I see of it, the more this two-tone look seems to play on a deliberate disparity between the colours, whereas if you pay for balayage, it's because you want a professional finish that looks natural. Even when it grows out, you wouldn't get a dip-dye effect from it, same as you see with some of these girls. Balayage might be too subtle a technique to get this look. Nicer, though.

Last edited by tigerrouge; 11-11-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair, tone