How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-11-2009
What fresh hell is this.?

Just stumbled upon this pic from thecherryblossomgirl.
If I am going to try this, I am probably going to take this pic with me to the hairdresser..

[thecherryblossomgirl.com]

15-11-2009
Making a Mess

I saw that picture too and fell in love with her hair. I think the two tone looks best with auburn/brunette hair.

Let us know how it turns out .

What fresh hell is this.?

I will.. If I'm actually doing it

front row

GOOOOOOOOOD, i just wish that i know the techniqe of doing it....i've been to all the salons in my city, no one knows how to do it.....i guess i'll do it myself
if anyone here have done it....please try 2 explain it 2 me, i'm sooo desperate to get this look
TIA

09-12-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Beauty Board: Ombré Hair

In the canon of beauty principles, the necessity of maintaining one's roots is a mandate that's widely respected and universally followed. But lately we've noticed that some of our favorite trendsetters are currently bucking convention when it comes to their hair color. Rather than requesting highlights or submitting their locks to dimensionless single-process color, ladies like Erin Wasson, Nicole Richie, and Rose Byrne are opting for a look that's both directional and surfer dude-ish—Ombré Hair!

In the fashion world, ombré usually refers to a fabric dyeing process that produces a pale-to-dark gradation of color. For our purposes, the order is reversed, but the idea is the same nevertheless—hence the name. Technicalities aside, there are many fabulous things about this hair color trend: it's highly economical, incredibly low maintenance, and works with any texture or tone. It also can easily be dialed up to a punkish look (just ask for high-contrast hair ŕ la Alice Dellal) or down to a subtler gorgeousness (per Rose Byrne), depending on your personal style. The only thing that's really required is a little length, but even cropped-hair girls can try it, albeit with a slightly different effect.

The hair trend can be attributed to repeat trendsetter Erin Wasson, who's worn a version of this graduated hair color for some time now. The secret to her enviably effortless look lies in the magnificently talented hands of Laurie Foley, the owner and artistic director of L'Atelier de Laurie in the East Village. Foley refers to her technique as "hair painting," an apt description of her highly customized process of using different brush strokes—perfectly placed, yet strategically erratic—to achieve a progressively lighter, very nuanced ombré blonde. While undeniably artful, the appeal is in its purposeful imperfection; one could image Wasson came by her hair color naturally, the last lingering souvenir from a lost summer or two on Tobago. Hair guru Harry Josh also gives his uber-fashionable clientele these labor-intensive hand-painted highlights. Though the detailed process is certainly a time commitment (such artisan work requires about four hours), we'd wait twice as long if the results meant our hair approximated Rose Byrne's masterful mane.

In addition to Wasson's blonded-out style and Byrne's chestnut locks, we also adore Nicole Richie's warm iteration, which was created by celeb-fave George Papanikolas of the Andy Lecompte Salon in West Hollywood. Papanikolas first took Richie's hair several shades darker to a medium light brown, and then used balayage technique to add highlights, starting at her natural center part. Using bleach, he painted golden blonde v-shaped tips on the ends of her hair. Then, to graduate the color, he went through her hair in big horizontal sections, backcombing each one before applying bleach in an arrow shape to the ends of the hair. (The backcombing will help diffuse and soften the highlight, giving hair that sun-kissed, natural look.) Papanikolas applied a similar regime for Shanae Grimes' shoulder-length locks; first he gave her balayage highlights to add progressively lighter color to her hair, followed by a round of bleach at the tips to emphasize the contrast.

Whatever ombré variation you opt for, just remember that even though it's low-fuss and budget-friendly hair (constant root touch-ups will be a thing of the past!), you still need to take care of it. Since you're lightening the tips so much, the ends of your hair will be ultra fragile, so definitely invest in some restorative products. Laurie Foley highly recommends Alterna's 10 line, specifically the 10 Shampoo ($60) and 10 Hair Masque ($55), as an after-care necessity. She also advocates limited shampooing (the fewest times per week you can handle) and switching to sulfate-free products to protect the color. George Papanikolas agrees that it's crucial to repair the hair and suggests using a rich conditioning masque like Joico's K-Pak Reconstruct Deep-Penetrating Reconstructor ($19) to infuse hair with much-needed moisture. In addition to these shampoos and masques, you should also protect your hair before styling. Harry Josh tells his clients to pick up a bottle of John Frieda's Frizz-Ease Hair Serum Thermal Protection Formula ($9), as it gives parched locks shine, shields color from UV damage, and protects hair from (damaging but necessary) hot styling tools. Whatever you use, just make sure to treat your lightened ends delicately for the ultimate ombré hair!
WhoWhatWear.com

oh! darling

^ Thanks for that. That picture is especially helpful, but most of them seem to have the same colors going on. Darker to blond/light brown.

rising star

Two tone hair is pretty when it's subtle, but I always think of those trashy girls who have platinum hair on top and black underneath. I do love the above posted pictures, and it would be wonderful to have such a carefree style.

Making a Mess

Rose Byrne's hair looks the best imo. Gorgeous colouring .

scenester

Naomi Preizler's facebook page

I wish I could dye my hair like Naomi's, she looks stunning.

16-12-2009
trendsetter

i think she looks horrible

18-12-2009
backstage pass

^^ lollll. i keep looking at this thread but i think it's largely because i'm interested to understand what about this look appeals to people, but it's really just that my style is the opposite of undone/beachy/hippie/relaxed and i just don't quite get it.

19-12-2009
trendsetter

StarsInHerEyes, i actually quite like the subtle ombre hair trend (mine kinda look like that already O_O) thanks for sharing

oh! darling

Most of the photos above have blond hair on the ends. I have quite dark hair so I don't think I can pull of blond. I guess I could do a light brown on the top and just fade it into my natural hair color towards the ends.

So, question, would I color my tips or ends? Growing out, what would look less awkward?

front row

Interesting....let's see how the Japanese do it..

all from dropsnap.jp

front row

some more from dropsnap.jp

Last edited by V0GUE_0BSESSi0N; 20-12-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair, tone