How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-12-2009
trendsetter

I wonder, does anyone have pictures of hair that's light near the roots, and then fades to darker at the ends?

21-12-2009
backstage pass

^^ this is a bit extreme but:

image credit: jak+jil

21-12-2009
trendsetter

salongen

31-12-2009
V.I.P.

I have this from a botched dye job that I let grow out, although most of it's cut off by now and I want to get it done again but hopefully without so much damage and a slightly better shade.

31-12-2009
oh! darling

It isn't impossible to do this at home, is it? My mother bought a box of dye that she wants to use for all of my hair but I want to attempt the two-toned look.

backstage pass

^^ might be kind of hard to get it to look natural. plus lightener is naturally going to work more quickly towards your scalp because of the heat, meaning that the natural tendency is going to be for your hair to be DARKER towards the ends and lighter toward the scalp -- a mistake i'm sure most of us who have ever bleached our hair at home have made, i know i've definitely done the 'oh crap, gotta re-bleach my ends 4 more times' thing before -- which is the opposite of the look you want.... i'd say it'd be best to just let your whole head go lighter and then just wait a few months as it grows out etc.... i imagine it's quite complicated to hand-paint highlights on half of your hair and make it look even and natural.

Last edited by lafindesiecle; 31-12-2009 at 01:53 PM.
31-12-2009
backstage pass

ashlee-star

31-12-2009
backstage pass

Most people probably don't like Shakira's look with her black roots coming out but I think she's really pulled it off. She created a really funky style that went with her rocker look.

31-12-2009
oh! darling

Thanks lafindesiecle. I wonder how much cheaper my coloring would be if I brought my own dye in. I was hoping that I could just brush it into my hair instead of covering my whole head.

backstage pass

hilaryimages.com

01-01-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafindesiecle View Post
^^ this is a bit extreme but:

image credit: jak+jil
Thank you, but I meant someone with light brown roots that fade to dark brown at the ends, or (preferrably) someone with dark brown roots that fade to near black at the ends. My own hair is dark brown, and I was considering going with the latter, as I can't attempt the normal two-tone look because of an allergy to bleach.

Making a Mess

Rachelbojangles please provide the source for your image or it will be removed. Thank you .

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsInHerEyes View Post
Thank you, but I meant someone with light brown roots that fade to dark brown at the ends, or (preferrably) someone with dark brown roots that fade to near black at the ends. My own hair is dark brown, and I was considering going with the latter, as I can't attempt the normal two-tone look because of an allergy to bleach.
starsinhereyes how dark is your hair and what exactly is the bleach allergy?? maybe there is more than one way to lighten your hair, especially if your allergy is just to a chemical in the developer or specifically to perxoides or bleach compounds or something?

when i was younger i used to put a (sticky!!) mixture of water, lemon juice + salt in my hair and sit in the sun for hours -- it gets a bit brassy and certainly isn't the most reliable method, but it definitely will lighten all but the darkest of hair, and is a pretty easy and cheap way to get a natural sort of sunny, beachy highlights...i think chamomile tea also has a similar lightening effect.

it takes a bit of time (like, a few weeks of doing it every few days) but this might also be a nice way to gradually get this look for everyone else trying to do it at home -- if you are just continually ligthening your ends a little bit you're not likely to get a really fake-looking straight line of roots!

Last edited by lafindesiecle; 04-01-2010 at 05:02 PM.
04-01-2010
backstage pass

The shakira one is from shakiragallery. I had a few more but they've disappeared

04-01-2010
backstage pass

Since my other pics directly from the site disappeared I uploaded these myself. Ashlee Simpson from 2007 had great 2 tone blonde hair.

ashleensimpson.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair, tone