How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-12-2009
fashion elite

Updos
surprised we dont already have a thread dedicated solely to updos.

So anyway, my hair is finally long enough to do something with so I have been scouring the 'net looking for styles to try out. Here's a few of my favourites:

The Milkmaid Braid

portwallpaper.com | lyellnyc.com

^I wear this style most days for college, everyone keeps commenting on how nice it looks

heres how i do it:
1. Separate hair into two even bunches just above your ears and secure with a band the same colour as you hair.

2. braid/plait one of the bunches and then bring it up to the top of your head and secure it with two kirby grips [cross/overlap them to make them more secure]

3. repeat on second bunch making sure it meets with the other braid in the centre.

simple

I always think it looks prettier if its not too neat and tidy so I tend to loosen bits so theres a few strands of hair hanging down.

A variation on the style:

look.co.uk

1. Allow hair to dry naturally after washing in order to retain your natural wave, apply a palm sized amount of styling moose to help define texture.

2. Next, take the front section of the hair and part over to the side, plaiting in a downward direction. For those with unruly fringes try gripping back into centre sections with Kirby grips.

3. Then, simply pull back your ungroomed hair and twist into a messy chignon allowing unruly pieces of hair to flow freely around the neck and hairline.

4. Finally, spray a light mist of hairspray all over the head for hold and accessorise with flower and/or diamante accent grips for a feminine feel.

24-12-2009
fashion elite

bellasugar.com

by Pasquale Ferrante

1. First, apply Davines Defining Texturizer to give the hair body. (This isn't a super-slick hairstyle. Then make two ponytail fishtail braids.

2. Wrap each braid around to the other side of the head so one lays on top of the other.

3. Then, pin the braids to the nape like a bun.

4. Pull out some random pieces to achieve the messy look.

5. Secure the style. Pasquale used Davines Defining Invisible Hairspray to keep everything in place.

24-12-2009
fashion elite

elleuk.com

by Adam Reed
1 Prep damp hair with a blow drying cream like Shu Uemura Satin Design, £19.50, and rough dry to allow subtle movement and ultra shine.

2 Take small sections of hair, above each ear and then either side of the crown, or wherever you would like the plaits to sit, then loosely braid them and secure at the ends.

3 Section the remaining hair into a side part, sweeping the top section back from the crown, and start to loosely twist from behind the ears across into the nape and secure using Kirby grips.

4 Draw the braids back into the twist and secure with the grips.

5 Mist a small amount of hairspray, Shu Uemura Sheer Lacquer, £19.50, to secure.

24-12-2009
fashion elite

harpersbazaar.com

by Giannandrea

1. "Start with wet hair, and then blow it dry about halfway so that it's still damp," says Giannandrea. "Next, apply a volumizing mousse throughout, and continue to dry without a brush." Try Tresemmé Thermal Creations Volumizing Mousse ($3.99). "Once hair is dry, apply a bit of molding paste to the bottom three quarters of the hair to give it texture and shine." Try L'Oréal Paris Studio Line Unkempt Out of Bed Weightless Texturizer ($4.99).

2. "Give hair a soft, undefined side part. In this case, it went from left to right," he notes.

3. There will be one braided section on the top, two on the side, and a few in the back. Start by braiding the top section, using a flexible hair spray like L'Oréal Professionnel Infinium ($18) to hold hair in place. "French braid each section, keeping the braid as close to the head as possible. Once all of the sections are done, twist them together in the back and secure with pins," he says. "Finally, use your fingers to open the braids up so they look a bit undone."

24-12-2009
tfs star

Does anyone with thick hair every do the milkmaid braids? I've wanted to try that but I have such think hair and it's a lot of hair so I feel like it's too much.

27-12-2009
V.I.P.

I can't seem to be able to do this. No matter how hard I try, it never works. Maybe it's because I have thick, almost one length hair?

27-12-2009
oh! darling

^ I have thick hair, and I figured it would hold a braid better than fine hair that would fall right out of a pony tail. But for you NNF, I think one length hair would work better because little shorter strands would fall right out of the style.

I can't wait to try the milkmaid braid.

V.I.P.

Yeah, I probably can't do it because of my clumsy hands...

I'd love to sport that do for NYE... I'll ask my sister, and if it works out, I'll post a pic + info on how I managed it

28-12-2009
windowshopping

Thank You so much for these laisla . I where my hair a lot in the the Milkmade style and I really love it so much better than a regular pony tale. I'm terrible at doing updos so these will help a lot, I'm really dying to try the one in Post 2.

29-12-2009
V.I.P.

This one is so pretty and easy to achieve!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGPhbL-QH7k

oh! darling

The problem I had with the milkmaid braids because when I would find a base for my braids, it was not covered by the rest of my hair. I mean, everyone could see my roots after I lifted the braid up over my head.

My brother said to not pull it so hard over, to instead loosely pull it over so that the braid hangs a bit and covers my roots so that no one can see the base.

Feels Like Heaven

Those are really beautiful and inspiring updo's,but I really cannot do them by myself.I tried many times,but my hair is really thick,and kinda slippery(don't know how to explain it) and if I put a little spray before it it gets all greasy.For now I'd rather go to my stylist If I want a hairstyle like this from time to time.

31-12-2009
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
I tried many times,but my hair is really thick,and kinda slippery(don't know how to explain it) and if I put a little spray before it it gets all greasy.
Your hair sounds almost identical to mine! Bobby pins and other clips often slip right out of my hair, so most updos are out of the question unless I cake on the hair spray (also out of the question). I'm able to style my hair into milkmaid braids, but I've never actually worn it out in public. Maybe I'll try it someday, who knows.

Feels Like Heaven

^I know,and that's so depressing.I always tought that it's something about me,that I'm not doing it right because it works out on everyone,but It looks like it's not that case.

08-01-2010
In Bloom

Helpful vid on the French twist:

we were in love

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
updos