How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-05-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoskies
I too would like to know the charm and elegance of footbinding.
sarcasm not nessesary- it was horrible yes, but the fact that they continued to do it for years despite this is an interesting study of history and human nature

01-05-2007
the crying of humanity

^Exactly what I was trying to get at.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilettogirl84
sarcasm not nessesary- it was horrible yes, but the fact that they continued to do it for years despite this is an interesting study of history and human nature
There was no sarcasm.
When I first read about footbinding a few years back, I was intrigued and wanted to know why they did it.

02-05-2007
backstage pass

I guess it was mostly because men liked that. Also, with all the geisha culture and no naked body I think they found it sexy if women showed some neck, wrist or tiny little feet peeking from under the kimono. And as usually it began from upper classes (well geishas was quite wealthy those days) and went to middle classes. As there were no carrier women they had to assure wealthy future to themselves, and if men liked that - women did what they had to be liked.
To me the footbinding looks horrible as i can not imagine all the pain the girls went through, but its just the difference of cultures probably

Or thought your train moving while sitting still?" girl interrupted.
02-05-2007
rising star

Also, maybe it had to do with something about the sexual roles back in the day. China practised a male-supremacy culture during this period of time.
Also, it was rare for men to see women with deformed feet. They were always concealed in the lotus shaped shoes, which brings your your point (tindi-rindi) back to the Japanese men and their attraction with the neck and such being sexually attractive because it cannot be seen.

Apparently, reading up on foot binding, a girl's foot would have four broken toes on each foot within a year... Owww.

02-05-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindi-rindi
To me the footbinding looks horrible as i can not imagine all the pain the girls went through, but its just the difference of cultures probably
I don't think our cultures are that different. Women now starve themselves to be beautiful, or undergo surgury to get fuller chests or whatever. Every society has it's beauty extremes, which to other cultures look bad.

If a victorian man could come to now from the past, he would probably think our runway models are very ugly...

Press escape to continue.

One of the things I find truly fascinating about historic changes in footwear and clothing is how the designs were (and are) used to restrict, control and subjugate women, and how culture itself promotes such odd ideas through heavy commercialization and a demand for conformity. Because most people no longer make their own clothes, our sense of fashion is dictated by a barrage of publicity about what's acceptable and what's not.

I found these shoes from the 1940s made by an American designer - I think the style is years ahead of its time. I don't know who the designer is, unfortunately.

kickshawproductions.com

Last edited by SomethingElse; 02-05-2007 at 09:10 AM.
02-05-2007
backstage pass

These are funky

on the other hand, I think women still live more for the others. My grandma had a deformed feet for wearing very narrow at the end shoes, her big toe was practically hiding under other toes.

I just would like that footwear would be gorgeous to at and to wear. And weren`t shoe makers always men?

02-05-2007
backstage pass

I find these very interesting, I used to show them to my sister when pointed toe shoes came into the fashion, she said I am cruel

TOE3.GIF
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc.../shoe/APP5.HTM

02-05-2007
windowshopping

The first article is very interesting, I wonder how women were able to walk on such high shoes! I would love to learn about shoe fashion troughout the years!

02-05-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoskies
Footbinding makes the feet look horrible though.
I'd rather see delicate feet than those that are disfigured.
My 0.02c.
First, beauty is in the eye of its beholder, Chinese people just thought a pair of dainty feet looked great and signified class. We use to call the binded feet " the nine inch golden lotus" (Chinese inch)

The historical reason why we binded women's feet is that, because it is painful to walk in those feet, women thus would stay home, and do their delicate, meticulous "female tasks". Due to China's male supremecy culture, women with tiny painful feet would give the implication that they would not escape from her husbend or flee from their father. When a women could not travel/go far, they are deemed safe or modest.
It signifies class because only rich family could afford to have their wife/wives or daughters to stay home and not earning money and/or doing labour work (with those feet, lifting a 2pound object would be considered labour). The binded feet are used to show the girl's lifestyle, that she has her maid does everything for her.

Just what my grandmother told me, my great grandmother used to have binded feet until WWI.

unknown
02-05-2007
the crying of humanity

stilettogirl84
Quote:
I don't think our cultures are that different. Women now starve themselves to be beautiful, or undergo surgury to get fuller chests or whatever. Every society has it's beauty extremes, which to other cultures look bad.
Exactly! Years and years from now, people will likely look back at our era and wonder what we were thinking.

^^ My heart goes out to your grandmother - she must have been a very brave woman to have shared such deep, personal understanding to you. I am glad she was freed from bound feet at some point in her life, and I'm sorry that it took a war to free her. What you say about restricting women is exactly what makes me stomp around the room raving like a crazy woman, for the injustice of it all. And it keeps me out of heels most of the time.

rock-chic

From what I have read, class was a big thing in foot binding as a girl with bound feet would not be able to work, thereby showing a family's wealth that they did not need to make their daughters work (like 'peasant families' had to. It must have been total agony especially when they were young and so unable to play normally.
I do like a lot of historical shoes & know someone who makes replicas today for re-enactment groups and historical tours

This is called "caliga", a Roman soldier's sandal from the 1st century A.D., a particularly good image that shows quite a bit of the construction technique. More information and some diagrams are here: http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc...E/romelist.htm

ledermuseum.de

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
footwear, history