How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-04-2007
far from home...

Poiret au présent
Vogue Paris
May 2007
Scanned by BerlinRocks

original post

27-04-2007
The future is stupid

US Vogue September 1998

scanned by MMA

27-04-2007
V.I.P.

I cannot get over how beautiful his clothes are! They match my tastes perfectly! And what kind of fabric is that gold dress in 76? It's beautiful!

29-04-2007
far from home...

Thanks for the "flashback", MissMagAddict

01-05-2007
barack the vote

thanks so much for the vogue editorial, MMA. it is just stunning in print. .

02-05-2007
Press escape to continue.

style.com has posted a wonderful collection of 117 photographs and lots of notes about M. Poiret and his melieu, in preparation for the show at the Met. http://www.style.com/trends/stylenotes/043007. Here are some of the images

style.com

Last edited by SomethingElse; 02-05-2007 at 02:27 AM.
02-05-2007

Denise Poiret, once described as "the woman who had inspired the feminine silhouette of this century," photographed by Henri Manuel in 1911 with her daughter Rosine, age 5. Madame Poiret wears a gray velvet afternoon dress called "Toujours."

"If you want to attract attention," Doucet is said to have told a young Poiret, "be seen in fashionable places with a striking young lady whom you dress according to your own ideas and develop into a special type of your own."

Denise Poiret wearing her husband's design, 1913.

"Le Bal" shoes, 1924.

style.com

Oh these are so beautiful! I can't stop

Costume c. 1911

Edward Steichen, who had been painting in Paris, was encouraged to take his first fashion photographs by Paul Poiret. They appeared in Art et Décoration in 1911.

Poiret's "Battick" and "Négus" designs.

"A Couturier," Poiret said, "has as many languages as he has fabrics with which to sing of the beauty of women." Raoul Dufy began working with Paul Poiret in 1911. Together they established La Petite Usine, a workshop where Dufy produced his first printed fabrics. The next year Dufy excited the interest of the noted Lyonnaise textile firm Bianchini-Férier, with whom he would have an extended business relationship.

"Bois de Boulogne" dinner dress, 1919. Medieval-scene textile design by Raoul Dufy.

Denise and Paul Poiret in Arabian Nights-inspired costume.

style.com

The hobble skirt, 1919.

"It was," Poiret declared in his autobiography, "in the name of Liberty that I proclaimed the fall of the corset and the adoption of the brassiere which, since then, has won the day. Yes, I freed the bust, but I shackled the legs."

Peggy Guggenheim photographed by Man Ray wearing a dress by Paul Poiret, 1923.

"Le Minaret." A variation on the lampshade tunic conceived as a costume for the play of the same name, 1923.

style.com. I believe Laird Borrelli is the editor of the posted text.

Last edited by SomethingElse; 02-05-2007 at 02:44 AM.
02-05-2007
far from home...

Wonderful

Thanks for posting, wish I could give you karma.

02-05-2007
V.I.P.

Thank you! That must have taken a ton of work!

02-05-2007
....ITMFA....

Thanks so much to all of the contributors of this thread, especially MissMagAddict and DosViolines (they're not letting me karma either of you!)

I just realized I'm going to be in NYC next weekend and we're going to the Met....SO I GET TO SEE THIS SHOW!!! Woot indeed!

www.flickr.com/jstreitdesign/
02-05-2007
V.I.P.

Paul Poiret With Model In His Studio

perfumeprojects.com

Last edited by Whitelinen; 28-05-2007 at 01:29 PM.
02-05-2007
V.I.P.

lecurieux.com

02-05-2007
V.I.P.

POIRET REMEMBEREDPAUL POIRET is back in the fashion limelight more than 60 years after he died in obscurity having declared himself bankrupt 18 years earlier. An exhibition of clothes, accessories, furniture, wallpaper, cushion and perfume bottles by the master designer opened yesterday ahead of a major auction by Richelieu-Drouot on May 10 and 11. Carefully preserved by Poiret's wife and muse, who divorced him in 1928, the collection was first passed to their daughter Perrine who eventually left them to her daughter Sophie. "He was the first to think in overall terms, from dresses to carpets, from advertising to crockery to perfume," the auction organiser, Francoise Hauguet, tells AFP. Born in 1879, Poiret enjoyed international acclaim early in the 20th century, most famously contributing to the women's liberation movement by discarding bras and corsets in favour of flowing sheath dresses. He later forced his fans to walk in tiny, Japanese-style steps, however, by creating so-called "hobble skirts" that were loose over the waist but drawn in tightly at the ankle. While his designs are treasured today, with the most expensive item in the auction expected to be a 1911 ivory, cotton, velvet and silk coat featuring a pattern designed by Raoul Dufy which could go for as much as �10,000, Poiret lost his fashion status during his lifetime when the overwhelming fame of Coco Chanel, with her more tailored, sculpted designs, took over from his floating femininity. The exhibition will run at the fashion house of Azzedine Alaia, 18, Rue de la Verrerie, 75004, until Sunday. It will subsequently be shown in the Richelieu-Drouot rooms on May 9 before being auctioned over the following two days. (April 21 2005, AM) vogue.co.uk

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
paul, poiret