How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-08-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Schiaparelli Dress at the Schéhérazade

In this beautifully composed photograph, a model is shot in the famed Parisian nightclub Schéhérazade. She wears an asymmetrical, one-shouldered evening dress by Elsa Schiaparelli. Donald Honeyman's image appeared in the October 15, 1949, Vogue.
condenaststore.com

30-08-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Schiaparelli Floral Frock

A model waltzes through a room in this Henry Clarke photograph. She wears a strapless floral dress with a full skirt and oversize sash by Schiaparelli. The exuberant, atmospheric work appeared in the March 1, 1954, Vogue.
condenaststore.com

30-08-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Schiaparelli in Construction Site

This Cecil Beaton photograph was quite provocative for the 1930s. A most elegant model sits precariously on a sawhorse, right in the midst of a simulated construction site. She wears an oversize laborer's jacket and a white silk dress, both by Schiaparelli. Her straw hat has a mica visor—all the better for reading the newspaper. The tableau-style image appeared in the January 15, 1936, Vogue.
condenaststore.com

16-08-2009
V.I.P.

The September 2009 issue of Harper's Bazaar (US) has an article on Elsa Schiaparelli. Apparently the House of Schiaparelli is being revived and a search is underway for a creative director.

Source: scan by tFS member, MissMagAddict

27-11-2009
windowshopping

What a designer!
Schiaparelli was such a legendary designer! The talent and creativity has been almost unrivalled this century i feel. There are so many garments by her shown here i have never seen before. I especially love the prints and detailing.
The images you have posted somethingelse are truly beautiful.

Last edited by classicalbang; 27-11-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Self-promotion
11-08-2010
backstage pass

Does anyone have the book "Shocking: The art and fashion of Elsa Schiaparelli'?
I'm writing a research essay on Fashion and Surrealism, and it would be such a great help if someone could scan the pages about Dali and Schiaparelli (specifically about the skeleton dress)
Thanks so much!!!!!!!

17-08-2010
V.I.P.

^ I quoted your comment and posted it in the thread Would You Help Me With My Homework / Research. There is also a thread, Help Me Find a Thread by Topic? / Where May I Post This? that you may want to ask this question in to see if someone has suggestions where you can post your request where it will be seen and maybe someone will help you.

P.S.
If you no longer need help, please post a comment here and / or homework / research thread. Good luck.

20-09-2010
windowshopping

Illustration by Schiaparelli's friend, painter Christian Bérard, for Vogue in 1938

Sketches for hats (including the shoe-hat that was suggested to Dalí by his wife), 1937

Source: my own scans

21-12-2010
V.I.P.

Pair of evening gloves
Paris, Feb 1938

worn with "Tears" dress

vam.ac.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006BK4776_jpg_l.jpg (39.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2006BK4778_jpg_l.jpg (29.7 KB, 0 views)

21-12-2010
rising star

this thread is just amazing.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird milk View Post
Sketches for hats (including the shoe-hat that was suggested to Dalí by his wife), 1937

Source: my own scans
Thanks for posting the shoe-hat..I saw a YouTube clip where Stephen Jones proclaimed her shoe-hat to be the most perfect hat of all time.

03-11-2011
rising star

Quote:
Prada and Schiaparelli at the Met
Elsa Schiaparelli may share a birthday with Karl Lagerfeld (Sept. 10), but Miuccia Prada is unquestionably her sister in soul. Putting these two nimble minds together makes sense, and not simply because both are educated Italian women who enjoy a good fashion joke. The Metropolitan Museum of Art announced today that the spring 2012 exhibit at the Costume Institute will be “Elsa Schiaparelli and Miuccia Prada: On Fashion.” It will open May 10 and run through Aug. 19, with the gala on May 7.

Harold Koda and Andrew Bolton, curators at the Costume Institute, will organize the exhibit, which will include a total of 80 designs from Ms. Prada and Ms. Schiaparelli, who closed her business in 1954. (She died in 1973.) Ms. Schiaparelli hit her creative stride in the early 1930s with knitwear, sports clothes and evening dresses that had a light-hearted and often Surrealist touch. Some of her craziest ideas were reserved for female heads. She had friendships with artists like Salvador Dalí and Jean Cocteau, an interest in common with Ms. Prada. It will be curious to see how Mr. Koda and Mr. Bolton present a dialogue between these two women.

The exhibition will be underwritten by Amazon. Its founder and chief executive officer, Jeff Bezos, will be honorary chairman of the gala; the co-chairwomen are the actress Carey Mulligan, Anna Wintour and Ms. Prada. The director Baz Luhrmann will be creative consultant.
nytimes

03-11-2011
rising star

Excerpt from a 1934 article in Time magazine.

Quote:
Schiaparelli. “Of course we don’t want pants,” cried Elsa Schiaparelli in a speech before Manhattan’s Fashion Group last year. “Men are already ugly enough in them without having women wear them.” But Mme Schiaparelli gave women practically everything else, including dresses made of cellophane and rubber, collars of china, gadgets designed from harness. One of her best textile designs grew out of some plaster and netting she picked up in a rubbish pile. In her crusade for sharp, dramatic line (“skyscraper silhouet”) Mme Schiaparelli persecutes the button with morbid zeal, has substituted all manner of gadgets in place of it, including metal coat fasteners in the shape of dollar signs.
timemagazine

29-03-2012
windowshopping

Cocoon dress by Elsa Schiaparelli 1951: Could it be the same dress?

First Picture taken by the german photographer Regina Relang.
Sorry for the bad quality of the second reproduction.
Does anyone have information on the Schiaparelli-collection of the year 1951?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReginaRelangES1951.jpg (73.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Schiaparelli1951.jpg (91.9 KB, 5 views)

01-04-2013
tfs star

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
elsa, schiaparelli