How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-01-2008
Press escape to continue.

c. 1947.

operagloves.com

29-01-2008
far from home...

Quote:
As a costume designer for MGM during Hollywood’s Golden Age, Gilbert Adrian (born Adolph Greenberg) dressed, among other stars of the studio, Katharine Hepburn, Joan Crawford, and Greta Garbo in some of their most famous roles. His dramatic ensembles were such an important element of a film that his involvement was announced in the opening credits. In 1942, parlaying his wide renown, Adrian established a fashion house that was an immediate success. His signature silhouette was characterized by wide, padded shoulders and a narrowed hipline. An Adrian design often incorporated a technique of elaborate piecing, especially with complicated mitering of stripes in graphic geometries.

With this gown, Adrian recalls his earlier Surrealist designs from the 1939 movie The Women, in which a fashion show features not only sumptuous haute-couture gowns but also a series of exaggeratedly fantastical designs that reference Elsa Schiaparelli’s collaborations with Salvador Dalí. The fabric used in this gown is most likely an example from a series of designs Dalí created for the American textile manufacturer Wesley Simpson. Adrian introduced a signature whimsy to the Surreal landscape of the print by inserting a shadowy profile at the gown’s left shoulder. He created this subtle jeux d’oeil with typical virtuosity through careful piecing—an especially difficult technique with slippery rayon crepe—rather than by the simpler process of appliqué.

Gilbert Adrian (American, 1903–1959). Print by Salvador Dalí (Spanish, 1904–1989). Dress, 1947. Light blue rayon crepe with pink, black, and gray printed Dalí motif and patches of polychrome printed rayon crepe appliqué. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, Gift of Jones Apparel Group, USA, 2002 (2002.326.26a–c).
blog.mode
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dp151821l.jpg (19.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg dp151819l.jpg (35.6 KB, 1 views)

12-02-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Two-piece Dress and Cape, ’Shades of Picasso’, 1944
Rayon crépe

Maeder, Edward. Salute to California: 50 Years of Fashion, 1930-1980. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1980, p. 10, cat. no. 1
lacma.org
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56_14_5a-c.jpg (65.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 56_14_5a-cDetail1.jpg (90.7 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by DosViolines; 12-02-2008 at 12:40 PM.
12-02-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Woman’s Two-piece Suit, 1946-1948
Worsted wool twill
lacma.org
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M2003_95a-b.jpg (75.0 KB, 0 views)

12-02-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Gilbert Adrian (United States, 1903 - 1959) , Bullock's Department Stores
Woman's Evening Dress, 1947
Printed rayon crepe
lacma.org
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CR4_68-34_Detail04.jpg (75.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg CR4_68-34_Detail03.jpg (91.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg CR4_68-34_Detail01.jpg (97.4 KB, 0 views)

01-06-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Circa mid 1940's Adrian Original with draped cut-in-one sleeves, jewel collar neckline with tie and full circle skirt sewn at waistband and attached tie belt; fashioned of ivory silk printed on the front and back bodice with occupied red hen house and on skirt with finely feathered rooster in variegated sizes and positions in red, pink, black and green. All original artwork by Adrian. Known as "The Egg and I" print from his 1947 spring-summer collection and documented on page 153 in the book "Adrian" by Christian Esquevin.

Adrian was known for designing limited theme fashion collections such as Animals and Americana to name just a few. Approximately only 10 dresses were made in the Henhouse theme, which makes this quite rare.
marilynglass.com

See post #82

01-06-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Circa mid 1940's Adrian Original with draped cut-in-one sleeves, jewel collar neckline and full circle skirt sewn at waistband; fashioned of alternating wide bands of ivory and black silk printed in black on the front bodice and around full skirt with 2 women holding hands surrounded by hens. Full black applique on back bodice. Gold sequins around heads of women. All original artwork by Adrian.

Adrian was known for designing limited theme fashion collections such as Animals and Americana to name just a few. This is an example of his Americana/Pennsylvania Dutch motif. Quite rare and very few were produced.
marilynglass.com

13-06-2008
windowshopping

that shades of picasso outfit is wonderful

clever ain't wise

I found this shot from an old Interview. Scanned by me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg interview_1973_august_adrian.jpg (106.6 KB, 0 views)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
adrian