How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-11-2007
far from home...

Quote:
Jean Desses Strapless Evening Dress
French, circa 1960
Chartreuse silk chiffon, with finely draped sweetheart neckline, narrow long skirt with curved overskirt panel, and, starting at the side of the bodice, long looped drapery of chartreuse and cobalt blue chiffon, labeled: Jean Desses 12 Rd.Pt. Champs-Elysees Paris 6247.

For photographs of a dress like this, see La Femme Chic, Collections Officielles de la Haute Couture de Paris, Hiver 1960-1961, p.103 and L'Art et la Mode, Septembre 1960.
doylenewyork
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 544074.jpg (31.6 KB, 4 views)

21-12-2007
V.I.P.

ooooh beautiful...i love the draping on these strapless dresses. *sigh*

30-12-2007
Press escape to continue.

Quote:
Chiné rose print taffeta cocktail dress, circa 1959, detached label, with corsetted inner bodice, with inner and outer taffeta skirts and layers of tulle petticoats, the overskirt draped and caught in place with a massive bow to one side, matching belt.

kerrytaylorauctions.com

30-12-2007
Press escape to continue.

Quote:
Beaded and sequined cocktail dress, early 1960s, the taffeta inner-corset labelled and numbered 9649, with deep neckline, tulip shaped skirt with one panel fastening to the left hip which conceals the zip fastening, the cream organza ground covered in loops of crystal seed beads and rows of opalescent sequins.

kerrytaylorauctions.com

19-01-2008
far from home...

Avedon Sunny Harnett Jean Desses 1954
Vintage Fashion Photography
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avedon_sunnyharnett_jeandesses_1954.jpg (24.8 KB, 8 views)

29-01-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Jean Dessès wool coat, 1950s

In this fabulous coat the designer treats heavy wool as a drapable fabric. The bias cut and ingeniously placed diagonal seams at the waist create a fluid, figure-molding statement. This is soft sculpture at its best.

The coat is impeccably tailored with the lines of the stripe forming perfect chevrons. It is fashioned from black and gray striped wool twill and is lined with black satin. There is a shawl collar; and there are large diagonal pockets set on the front sides.
vintagetextile
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2221u.jpg (64.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 2221b.jpg (62.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2221c.jpg (62.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2221v.jpg (64.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2221g.jpg (110.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2221h.jpg (117.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2221i.jpg (147.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2221j.jpg (147.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2221k.jpg (77.8 KB, 0 views)

13-02-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Jean Desses Violet Petal Jacket and Muff
1950s
The short bolero jacket with elbow length sleeves and voluminous muff covered entirely with rayon plain and plush violet petals in white and various shades of purple, lavender taffeta lining, labeled: Jean Desses/17 Avenue Matignon-Paris/Made In France, tape label: 9509 and additional muslin label: BOAS/Rayonne 100%/9509-Bianchini.
doylenewyork
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 281236.jpg (51.7 KB, 3 views)

13-02-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Jean Desses Red Chiffon Cocktail Dress
Late 1950s
Chiffon intricately draped over rigid understructure, with fitted bodice, bell skirt, pairs of floating multi-layered panels sewn at front and back waist, self straps extending into draped back cowl, labeled: Jean Desses/12 Rd.Pt./Champs-Elysees/Paris, and handwritten number on tape.
doylenewyork
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 269132.jpg (27.1 KB, 3 views)

13-02-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Jean Desses Ivory Silk Ball Gown
1960s
Of ivory slubbed silk, the dress sleeveless, with low V-back gathered with tie bow, princess line, with flare of skirt accentuated with tab side seams, the sides and neck edge decorated with band of diagonal rhinestone rows, stiffened petticoats, labeled: Jean Desses/Rd.Pt.Champs Elysees/Paris.
doylenewyork
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 280066.jpg (21.5 KB, 1 views)

13-02-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Jean Desses Pret-a-Porter Tweed Suit
1960s
Of blue and purple wool tweed, the collarless jacket closing with three buttons at a diagonal from front center waist to left shoulder, extra scarf panel draping down back, slim skirt, the suit labeled: Jean Desses/paris/Pret A Porter/Execute par Maria Carine sur autorisation speciale/Made In France
doylenewyork
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 285741.jpg (27.2 KB, 2 views)

01-06-2008
far from home...

Quote:
When one thinks of noted French designer, Jean Desses, you immediately recall those fabulous gowns worn by Jennifer Lopez and Renee Zellweger on the Red Carpet. Those gowns were a wonderful feast for the eyes! Haute Couture designer, Jean Desses, gained major notoriety in the 1940's and 50's for his hallmark silk chiffon and jersey asymmetric draped and twisted gowns constructed like pieces of architecture. Desses belongs to the small group of important couturiers such as Vionnet, Balenciaga and Gres whose creations combined technical skill with sculptural technique.

Circa 1950's Jean Desses Couture custom gown of rich royal blue jersey in a spaghetti strap sheath design with body entirely ruched by hand. Amazing intricate construction with inverted kick pleat and boned bodice. Back zipper closure. Fully lined.
marilynglass.com

01-06-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Circa 1950's strapless ruched bodice with further pleated treatment from waist to hips extending into layers of voluminous silk chiffon skirt. The color is a rich lemon yellow one of the 'signature' colors Desses used in creating his wonderful draped goddess gowns. Dress also includes long wide silk chiffon wrap.
marilynglass.com

08-08-2009
Storm & Sommer

Model wearing a dress by Jean Desses 1953

via flickr.com / vintagevogue

pinterest : hanneonpin
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
desses, jean