How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-02-2009
Unveil Yourself....

I have a question...there is this particular type of dress that Galliano has reproduced many times for Dior and I have always wondered wether or not it is based on a classic of the house. Here's the type of dress I mean:

Et cetera....anyone know?

style.com

twitter.com/ErikP87

04-02-2009
DÔMMkammern

maybe i am wrong and there is a specific dress for that look galliano has used so many times, but i always thought it was a mere reference to the characteristic accentuated hips monsieur dior did (like on this very same thread, the brown suit in page nine)
or maybe it's a way of showing how some original dior pieces were constructed. like things underneath the clothes that gave volume but were never actually shown before galliano. interesting question anyway!

backstage pass

^ This type of dresses can also be found in John's early collections. For instance, Shalom wore one in the Spring 1995 Blanche DuBois collection.

09-02-2009
backstage pass

Here's the 1999 version:

(corbis)

DÔMMkammern

john's collections are definitely full of these armour-like shapes on the hips!! they probably deserve a separate thread just for all of them! if we only knew how to call "it"

far from home...

Quote:
A fine Christian Dior haute couture brown tulle evening gown "Esther" Profile Line, Autumn-Winter 1952, labelled and numbered 20764, and with client tag `Mrs Wanamaker' and also with separate label `Tribout Shop John Wanamaker', the strapless boned bodice and full skirt applied with velvet roundels edged in sparkling gold bugle beads and tiny sequins, the roundels segment and enlarge as they descend the skirt interspesed with godets of vermicalar bugle beads, two tulle petticoats give fullness to the skirt which is mid-calf length for dancing, bust 86cm, 34in, waist 66cm, 26in Dior's Profile line in the Autumn of 1952 was as the name suggested a collection of quite sharp and distinct silhouettes that hugged the body and emphasised the hips. It was sober but sexy as Dior edited out what he called "fashion fripperies" and black and brown were repeated throughout the collection. Many of the day and evening gowns used bare skin for maximum impact with strapless bodices or daring decolletage. The velvet adornments and beading on this "Esther" gown are cleverly graduated to emphasise the curve of the breasts to the narrow waist above the full skirt which served to empasise the hips. Vogue reported that Dior's preferred hem-length was about 11 1/2in from the ground - and they helpfully suggested that the height of the magazine could be used as a measure. The fact that the gown shows both a retail and a couture label suggests that the couture dress was probably sold by Dior under licence to the US so that it could be copied. The original couture gowns were often re-exported across the Canadian border so that the duties paid upon import to the US could be reclaimed and then sold onto a department store or deluxe dress establishment. The Mrs Wanamaker written on the muslin tag was presumably the wife of the retailer.
kerrytaylorauctions.com

07-09-2009
windowshopping

I love the "Abandon Afternoon Dress". The neck is the best part.
It is so great to see how much fashion has changed, yet it is the same in so many ways and so much is coming back from decades ago. Great pictures!

fashion icon

that was wonderful...we're so far from such a work today with J G

15-04-2010
Some Like It Hot

Dior.com

Vogue Paris Intern

Have you heard about the exhibition of Dior couture ball gowns at Christian Dior's childhood home in Granville? I went to see it last week and it was really impressive! It will close in 5 days.

More pictures here

front row

So gorgeous! Wish I could see it in person!

29-04-2011
tfs star

image hosting

scanned by me

17-06-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Caprice dress, Spring-Summer 1948 Haute Couture collection, Zig-Zag and Envol lines. Dress in royal blue wool.

Quote:
Miss Dior evening dress, Spring-Summer 1949 Haute Couture collection, Trompe-l'oeil line. Short dress embroidered with countless flowers.

Quote:
Ball gown of white cotton piqué with ivy decoration, worn with a burgundy velvet belt. Circa 1950.

Quote:
Mirza dress, Spring-Summer 1951 Haute Couture collection, Naturelle line. Afternoon dress of midnight-blue silk with white polka-dots, featuring neckline bodice of midnight-blue velvet.

Quote:
Dior models in Athens 1951.

Quote:
Palmyre dress, Autumn-Winter 1952-1953 Haute Couture collection, Profilée line. Long bustier dress of blue satin embroidered with blue stones, beads, and silver thread.

Quote:
Curaçao dress, Autumn-Winter 1954-1955 Haute Couture collection, H line. Cocktail dress in ivory silk faille. Bodice top with wide, gathered straps. Wide skirt with bow effect on left hip.

Quote:
Muguet dance dress, Spring-Summer 1957 Haute Couture collection, Libre line. Dress in white cotton organdy, embroidered with garlands of lily-of-the-valley

inspirationdior.com

22-06-2011
rising star

Absolutely stunning. This is what I want the fashion world to go back to. Timeless indeed.

29-03-2012
windowshopping

Dior 1955: Asian or oriental inspirations?
"Soirée d´Orient" a steath dress under jeweled caftan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DiorWomensHomeCompanionOct1955p46a.jpg (228.5 KB, 24 views)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
christian, dior