How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Charles James Satin Polonaise Dress
American, late 1940s
Of bronzed green silk satin, the fitted bodice sleeveless, with square cut armscyes and neckline, angled seaming from neckline corners to waist, the flared skirt sewn with partial overskirt draped at hip level in polonaise style, integral black tie at waist.
doylenewyork

29-07-2008
V.I.P.

Flawless!

06-04-2010
front row

This man is amazing, his designs are really modern, that 1937 white jacket its amazing for the time, and the olive green and gold dress looks like a Nicolas Ghesqueire design.

06-04-2010
front row

He was sort of Helmut lang, always pushing the envelope.

07-11-2010
fashion icon

Quote:
Silk ballgown, 1953.

artknowledgenews.com

05-03-2011
vertebrae by vertebrae

nice to find this thread. I should venture this subforum more

one of my favorites of his was this one, so great for it's time but, like many of his works, still amazing today

from 1953

metmuseum

09-03-2011
windowshopping

Storing these types of gowns usually involved having special shelves in one's closet so the dresses (either whole or in pieces) could be laid flat in specially made boxes. Given the weight and embellishment that most couture garments had, that was pretty much the only way to store them.

22-08-2011
windowshopping

Charles James exhibit in Chicago
I don't know if any of you are from Chicago or the Midwest, but just thought I'd put this out there for you Charles James aficionados...

I work at the Chicago History Museum (which has the 2nd largest historical costume collection in the world) and we've got an exhibit on Charles James opening in October. You can find out more info here: chicagohistory.org/charles-james

The Chicago History Museum also hosts an annual fashion design competition called FashioNext. It works sort of like Project Runway -- this year, we have 3 Chicago fashion design students competing -- each contestant must create a garment inspired by Charles James. (http://media.modernluxury.com/chicag...fashionext.php)

You can find out more info via the Chicago History Museum's twitter @ChicagoMuseum, or at the Chicago History Museum Fashion History twitter @Coco_Chicago.

But yeah, if any of you are in the mood to take a trip to Chicago, this will definitely be something worth seeing!

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushmyvelvet View Post
I don't know if any of you are from Chicago or the Midwest, but just thought I'd put this out there for you Charles James aficionados...

I work at the Chicago History Museum (which has the 2nd largest historical costume collection in the world) and we've got an exhibit on Charles James opening in October. You can find out more info here: chicagohistory.org/charles-james

The Chicago History Museum also hosts an annual fashion design competition called FashioNext. It works sort of like Project Runway -- this year, we have 3 Chicago fashion design students competing -- each contestant must create a garment inspired by Charles James. (http://media.modernluxury.com/chicag...fashionext.php)

You can find out more info via the Chicago History Museum's twitter @ChicagoMuseum, or at the Chicago History Museum Fashion History twitter @Coco_Chicago.

But yeah, if any of you are in the mood to take a trip to Chicago, this will definitely be something worth seeing!
You've just made my day!! I've been dreaming of a Charles James exhibit for like ever. (The people at Metmuseum were hinting at doing one two years ago when they took over the Brooklyn Museum collection. So I was somewhat sad when they announced it will be Prada/Schiaparelli next year 2012.)

Chicago here I come~

03-10-2011
windowshopping

One of my favourite Charles James creations. Photographed by Richard Avedon.
The Metropolitan Museum has a similar version without straps: http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections...tions/80005921

Last edited by idiotica; 03-10-2011 at 05:36 AM. Reason: grammar
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
charles, james