How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-12-2007
Press escape to continue.

Quote:
Watermelon chiffon cocktail gown, mid 1950s, labelled, with horizontal pleats of chiffon to the breast in contrast to the narrow vertical pleats of the skirt which gradually widen towards the rear seat of the dress.

kerrytaylorauctions.com

19-01-2008
far from home...

Modèle de Jacques Fath automne-hiver Paris 1955
Vintage Fashion Photography

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModledeJacquesFathautomne-hiverPari.jpg (239.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by DosViolines; 19-01-2008 at 08:44 AM.
19-01-2008
far from home...

W. Maywald. Jacques Fath .1950
Vintage Fashion Photography

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WMaywaldJacquesFath1950.jpg (57.9 KB, 14 views)

19-01-2008
tfs star

Dress at post #38 is so beautiful <3

24-01-2008
Press escape to continue.

Quote:
1959s, silk.

imamuseum.org

21-03-2009
V.I.P.

my instructor was trained by Lucien Pierres, the head/overseer of Fath's workshops (in Paris i believe) ..like Chanel's Mme Martine

one evening she brought her embroideries and beadworks
it was interesting to see it with a likeness to the work here, especially this piece
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...4&d=1116860139
http://i19.tinypic.com/4tr0nb6.jpg
i've never seen such unique embroidery, they really look like jewelry as themselves, just attached to garments.. so many materials. even the thread looks like jewelry

21-03-2009
V.I.P.

This dress was worn by Lady Alexandra
Quote:
Lady Alexandra Howard-Johnston (later Lady Dacre) was the wife of the Naval Attaché to Paris, 1948-50. She required an extensive wardrobe for the many formal dinners and state functions that she had to attend.
Lady Alexandra wore this dress at the official visit of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip to Paris in May 1948. She recalled that when she arrived at the Théâtre de l'Opéra with her husband, the Garde Nationale suddenly sprang to attention. 'I realised they had mistaken us for the Princess and Duke. That was the effect made by my splendid Fath.'
In 1971 Lady Alexandra gave some of her couture clothes to the photographer Cecil Beaton. He was assembling a large collection of fashionable garments to be given to the V&A and displayed in his exhibition Fashion: an Anthology. The V&A has kept Beaton's correspondence with designers, royalty and leading socialites of the day.
Evening dress (robe de gala)
Jacques Fath (1912-54)
Paris
1948 spring/summer
Silk satin, embroidered by Rébé with sequins and beads
Given by Lady Alexandra Dacre
Museum no. T.184&A-1974

vam.ac.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mainBgAlexandra.jpg (41.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg largeAlexandra.jpg (28.2 KB, 5 views)

21-03-2009
V.I.P.

Photography of Lady Alexandra modelling the dress by Jacques Fath worn to the official visit of Princess Elizabeth to Paris in 1948
Private collection

vam.ac.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mainBgAlexandra1.jpg (58.7 KB, 1 views)

21-03-2009
V.I.P.

Iris Gris - parfum
Quote:
Jacques Fath entered the Parisian high fashion system in 1937, continued during the war but his great moments were during the 50's the New Look Era. Until his premature death (1954) he was as famous as Dior or Balenciaga. He lacked the financial and business support that made Dior a big name, he was not a shape inventor like Balenciaga but he brought into Paris fashion a spirit of youth. A very handsome man, with his very beautiful wife (a mannequin) they were the king and queen of parties.

Jacques Fath put his youth spirit into perfume, right after the war, as did Balmain, Dior, Nina Ricci, Balenciaga, Piguet. His perfumes were not produced by Roure but he started with Coty and Vincent Roubert created the very first fragrances.
Iris Gris, an unknown jewel of French perfumery and one of the very best fragrances ever created, appeared on the market in the same moment when Miss Dior, L'air du temps, Coeur Joie made their debut and all of them bottled the youth spirit. It was 1947 - the legendary New Look - when springtime put a definitive end to the war period.

Until recent years, orris was not a common note (soliflore) in perfumery and there were a few orris perfumes but Iris gris is by far a monument of perfumery. I knew Iris gris but Denyse made an amazing discovery and found a sealed vintage Iris Gris perfume and thanks to her I was able to resmell it.

In 1947 something happened in the perfume industry. As Dior created new fashions that required a huge amount of fabric (impossible during the war) in the perfume industry ingredients became available again and also new ingredients made their way. The time when Roudnitska created Femme (1944) with what he succeeded to find in those hard days were over. Italy was liberated and started to produce orris. As it take 3 years to process the orris and obtain the concrete, we could say that 1947 (3 years after 1944) was also the time when new "free" orris entered the market again. It was also a time when the great chemists from Givaudan and Firmenich did intensive research on orris components, their synthesis and their production. Some Swiss patents from 1946-1948 show the great interest in "irone" research. Irones, a key ingredient in the orris concrete, are expensive products (even today) and though they are "cousins" of the famous ionones and methylionones (used in perfumes since the end of the 19th century) their production was far easy. The chemists Ruzicka and Naves established their chemical structure in 1947 . Providing important clients with expensive, tailor-made molecules, before they were on the market for everyone was a practice still in fashion today (the captives).

In October 1946 Firmenich came with a Swiss patent, a new production method of the highly appreciated irone that made possible new formulations for violet-orris perfumes.
In 1946-1947 orris was suddenly trendy: new molecules, available natural product.
Dior created enormous and expensive clothes. Fath created one of the most expensive and beautiful perfume - Iris gris with more than 35% of the natural orris inside. In 1946 Germaine Cellier created Coeur Joie a floral aldehydic with an orris note and in 1947 for Balmain Elysée 64-83, a floral jasmine (animalic) with aldehydes and orris concrete. Twisting the No5 formula with an orris variation was not a new idea. Chanel Mademoiselle No1, a lost perfume analyzed by Givaudan was a No5 formula with a high percentage with a special methyl ionone (violet-orris note). Orris notes were in the air in 1947 but they will not survive the huge success of Miss Dior and l'Air du temps.
Iris Gris, a perfume that captured the spirit of its time, was created by Vincent Roubert, the great perfumer from Coty, who was in charge with Coty's perfumes since mid 20's and who did the beautiful l'Aimant (a number 5 variation). But Coty created around 1913 a perfume that was never a success though it's a interesting creation - Iris. Iris by Coty is a typical orris concrete note with a spicy touch (like l'Origan) and an animalic jasmin-indole undertone.

Vincent Roubert, the Coty perfumer, was for sure inspired by the previous creation when he did Iris Gris, but he made it modern, youthful and pure. Iris Gris from 1947 is as modern today as it was in those days and though I smelled a vintage one ... the perfume has no wrinkle. It's a pure modernist perfume like Mies van der Rohe architecture (Barcelona pavilion) where simple lines are combined with expensive materials and textures.

Iris gris is clean but not soapy, rich but not old-dusty, with an idea as clear as today's Ellena creations and with a weightless lightness, hard to imagine with the ingredients of 1947. A perfume better than any orris niche perfume of today, simple and clear.

The perfume (a floral woody fruity but in fact an orris soliflore) is constructed around 2 ideas: orris notes + peach. Because orris and violet molecules are in general metallic/cold and usually express melancholy, the perfumer avoided this tendency with a soft peach note (undecalactone) that evokes a girlish skin complexion. The orris note is composed with all known orris notes (ionones, irones, methyl ionones, natural orris more than 35%). The woody note is mainly cedar-vetiver (their acetates for a light woody note). All other notes (jasmine, lily of the valley, heliotrope-lilac) are delicately drawn to support the floral-orris note and not to show their presence. There is an almost hard to detect chypre note (oakmoss - but I'm still not sure for that) and a light celery note (tuberose aspect and another trendy note in the 40-50's used in traces) still to check. There is of course musk and a very light carnation like that in l'Air du temps.
Iris Gris is the breath of angels!

PS: Iris Gris is often said to be from 1946, but as it was released later that year, I chose 1947 because I think the perfume was intended for springtime (see Fath couture collection&colours from that year) .
text from 1000fragrances.blogspot.com
image 1949 ad from okadi.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fath2.jpg (21.2 KB, 4 views)

21-03-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:

It seems we have reached the age where nothing is sacred any longer. We find ourselves at parties sitting around with other women, comparing leg hair and talking about the pros and cons of circumcision. So, it comes as little sacrifice to share one of those stories that used to make us cringe, but now serves as a big laugh.
Many years ago, when we were just a naive young girl (no, that's not the funny part) starting a career, we went to an office party in a blouse similar to this one. There is a very critical difference between the two, which we will divulge later. Anyway, we were in charge of handing out the drink tickets, and had a huge roll of tickets tucked neatly under our arm as we circulated throughout the room.
A good while into the cocktail hour, a co-worker finally had the decency to sidle up and whisper that our blouse was unbuttoned. And yes, as it was an asymmetrically buttoned blouse, and the button had come undone smack over the left boob. And no, we were not wearing a bra. Come to think of it, I guess this story still makes us cringe. Anyway, the offending blouse was disposed of, and we never could look an asymmetrical shirt in the eye again.
Now for the critical difference between that blouse and this version. The button holes of that horrid blouse were stitched vertically, and were just begging for the buttons to escape containment. The buttons of this blouse, however, are blessedly stitched horizontally, so the button stays put. Given a somewhat military look, this silky steel gray poly blouse has a stand up collar, with four stitched pleats down either side of the front. A nipped waist in the back gives it curve.
Made in France for the Jacques Fath Boutique, it is in excellent condition. Bust measures 34", waist 32", hips 37", shoulder 15", sleeve 23", length 26". $115
retrodress.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sep96a.jpg (12.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg sep96b.jpg (8.8 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by gius; 21-03-2009 at 12:50 AM.
22-03-2009
fashion insider

I like Fath! I think he made one of the most beautiful necklines ever. He's quite underrated in fashion history, Pierre or Christian are much more famous than him, but I really believe he was pretty good...

I heard long time ago that Fath was "revived" but I haven't heard a lot about it, does anybody knows anything about it?

22-03-2009
V.I.P.

wish i knew
it makes me wonder about Lanvin .. like the founder passed away and it was only after some time they appointed Alber Elbaz to revive the house. trying to find the story now.. i think the same happened for Balenciaga. someone owned it and it was unheard of till it was revived

Dior and Chanel exist today
i wonder if it's mostly because they found an 'heir' before the founder passed away

22-03-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
I like Fath! I think he made one of the most beautiful necklines ever. He's quite underrated in fashion history, Pierre or Christian are much more famous than him, but I really believe he was pretty good...

I heard long time ago that Fath was "revived" but I haven't heard a lot about it, does anybody knows anything about it?
it was revived, they actually appointed Lizzy Disney, a british designer who used to show in NY as the Creative Director in 2001, i think she left in 2004......... . havent heard anything about it, or her since then

23-03-2009
fashion insider

Yes, I heard the same, but I haven't had news about what has happend to the brand since 2004 until nowadays.
I hope nobody tried to revived it again, and if they do I hope them to try their best, because some emblematic brands such as Rochas, Ungaro or Balmain are in a horrible way nowadays with those so called "designers"...

28-03-2009
scenester

Мargaretha Ley, founder of Escada, was a supermodel in the Jacques Fath's House

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fath, jacques