How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-06-2007
far from home...

Quote:
Balmain Embroidered Ball Gown
French, late 1950s
Of ivory duchesse satin, strapless, with bodice cuff, princess line, the skirt sewn with self covered buttons down the full length, the skirt wide and smooth in front and billowing fuller at the back, the bodice and left side of skirt embroidered with elaborate three-dimensional pink roses with green leaves growing on silver metallic vinery, size 6, labeled: Pierre Balmain/Paris; Together with a Long Crinoline Slip.
Good condition, two small discolored areas on skirt front and one at bodice top, with small split, some abrasions on skirt.
doylenewyork

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 333872.jpg (114.8 KB, 19 views)

06-06-2007
far from home...

Quote:
Balmain Beaded Cocktail Dress
1960s
The sleeveless shift with straight neckline, small straps, high waist and straight skirt, of black net decorated with horizontal bands of flowing flowering branches, each a different pattern, worked in peach chenille, rhinestones, silver and pewter metallics, size 6, labeled: Pierre Balmain/Paris/Made In France, embroidery probably Lesage.
Excellent condition.
doylenewyork

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 269163.jpg (167.3 KB, 8 views)

07-06-2007
Press escape to continue.

Quote:
1967 Wedding outfit in white silk gazaar with trumpet sleeves and beaded crystal trim at neck and cuffs; high waist with 2 bows trimming centre front; separate underskirt; associated gloves and headdress.
Wearer was Danielle Waite (nee Leger)

manchestergalleries.org

Quote:
Sleeveless calf-length dress of vivid blue cotton poplin printed with white splotches, bell-shaped skirt; the stole and hat of same fabric, the stole in sharp green colourway.

DRESS: V-neck back and front, no sleeves, unlined; Bodice front in 2 sections, seamed down CF, with 2 gathered lines of piping down centre extended to hip level, tightened to give ruched effect and trimmed with 3 bows of white ribbed cotton rouleaux; bodice back in 2 sections each side of CB opening; zip fastening down CB extending below waist; skirt front in 2 flared sections, back in 4 flared sections.

UNDERDRESS: fitted foundation petticoat; bodice of double cotton net fully boned to low waist, extra support below bust and separate back fastening; zip fastening CB; skirt of white stiffened nylon in 7 flared sections, mounted with 3 double frills in tiers, the lower frill of nylon and the upper one of fine nylon net.

STOLE: straight length of poplin in green colourway, reverse partially lined self fabric, one long edge lined white pique.

HAT: small simple cap shape pleated into back nape and trimmed with white pique bow, lined white stiffened gauze.

manchestergalleries.org

far from home...

Quote:
Evening gown, 1957
Pierre Balmain (French, 1914–1982)
Pale-blue silk georgette
Courtesy of Sandy Schreier
metmuseum.org

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TR6431~3.L.jpg (13.0 KB, 18 views)

13-06-2007

1960s - sadly no descriptions are available from the source.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

More from the 60s.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Quote:
1966 This long evening dress with a white top and a grey and white striped skirt was a feature at couturier Pierre Balmain's spring and summer show held in Paris recently. It is called "Gavotte" and is worn with a large striped belt and white leather shoes.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Quote:
1965 A classic tailored suit in black, white wool worsted by Prudhomme. The sleeves are cuffed with "piecrust" white pique, to match the blouse, A very narrow bias band edges the jacket and skirt.

Quote:
1968 A dress and jacket ensemble in navy blue pure wool crepe from Lesur. The short edge to edge jacket is bordered in bright red around the collar and hem. the sleeveless V-neck dress (its top in red) has a box pleated skirt. Important: the skirt length and the waist fitted with a navy blue belt.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Last edited by SomethingElse; 13-06-2007 at 11:39 AM.
13-06-2007
far from home...

Great images SomethingElse

13-06-2007

:p I've tapped into a huge visual arts database, DosViolines. It's amazing - and I haven't slept all night!!!

Quote:
1971 Balmain carries the refinement of the double-breasted tube coat to its extreme, cutting it here in a sand, black and brown striped velour broadcloth (from Leonard). Note the wide collar, and the martingale in the back.

Quote:
1964 A suite by Balmain in basket weave pure wool tweed in tones of beige and grey by Carlotto. The blousing jacket has a single button at the waistline and is worn with a softly gathered blouse and matching hat cut in a grey wool jersey by Veron.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Last edited by SomethingElse; 13-06-2007 at 11:58 AM.
13-06-2007

Favorite so far. Shucks - it's the gangster in me! I just love the hat!

Quote:
1978 An ample coat with shoulder interest: padding and pleats worn over slim trouser suit. Jacket has velvet collar and a double row of buttons. Ensemble from the Pierre Balmain ready-to-wear collection for Winter 1978/79 is in pure wool grey flannel.

Quote:
1963 Fur-lined coat from Balmain in a pure wool black and white tweed from Hallenstein worn over a contrasting black and white jersey dress in pure combed wool from Racine.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Quote:
1961 Hazelnut woollen from Chatillon Mouly Roussel for that straight and comfortable coat, seams from waistline to hem, huge scarf collar like a ring.

Quote:
1963 High waisted tunic from Balmain in beige, grey and black pure wool knit-like tweed from Veron.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Quote:
1968 Long sheath evening dress. The bright red top is in pure worsted wool Woolmark jersey by Veron. The skirt in black wool crepe by Staron. The high waist, round neck and sleeves are emphasised with heavy beading in gold, black and red interspersed with wool embroidery. Front slit to knee.

Quote:
1971 Navy, pink, green and blue coat in worsted wool tweed from Bucol. Cut on straight and simple lines, the coat features four patch pockets, a small collar, and a half-belt at the back.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Quote:
1961 Pale blue and white houndstooth wool from Ducharne for that collarless, straight, buttoned in front suit. Slim skirt.

Quote:
1979 Two-piece dress in anthracite grey pure wool flannel from Simonnot-Godard. Jacket is draped and tied with a black leather belt. Toque in the same fabric.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
balmain, pierre