How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-06-2007
Press escape to continue.

Quote:
1969 Pierre Balmain created this dramatic evening gown, with its sweep of white gabardine in "Quiana" nylon, and its halter neckline a-sparkle with turquoise and gold crystal beads set amid mother of pearl paillettes. Its name, "Isphahan" conjures up a romantic vision of the East.

Quote:
1974 "Jean.Jean". Navy and white suit, tennis stripes, pleated skirt. White straw hat, white blouse, Small bunch of Lilly of the Valley at the shoulder. Phebus". Whate shantung dress worn under bright yellow wollen straight coat. Pockets hidden in the lateral "decoupes". White hat.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

13-06-2007

Quote:
1972 "Lancaster".

Quote:
1973 "Francois 1er".

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Quote:
1974 "Phebus". Whate shantung dress worn under bright yellow wollen straight coat. Pockets hidden in the lateral "decoupes". White hat.

1974 (no description).

vads.ahds.ac.uk

far from home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
:p I've tapped into a huge visual arts database, DosViolines. It's amazing - and I haven't slept all night!!!
I know exactly what you mean!
Whenever I stumble on some fantastic website I get all "Can't. Talk. Now. Must. Look. At. Pretty. Pictures."

Keep 'em coming!

13-06-2007

Quote:
1973 "Coralin".

Quote:
1972 "Pic.Pic". Dress and jacket ensemble in blue and white. The top of the dress is white. Belt and beret black and red leather.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Phew. Thank heaven I am not alone!

Quote:
1972 "Pimbeche". Dress with a pleated skirt, green, blue and white stripes worn with a beret in the same material.

Quote:
1972 Dublin. Long evening dress in organdie printed with blue and white.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Last edited by SomethingElse; 13-06-2007 at 11:47 AM.
13-06-2007

Quote:
1972 "Athenes". Evening dress in organza printed in red, green and blue.

Quote:
1972 In Courtelle, salmon red, zipped dress, white top stitching, 4 patch pockets, white patent leather belt.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Quote:
1966 The Balmain precision of cut seen here in two coats of sharp green gabardine. Left: intricate x seam-work conceals a pocket at hip level. Small parcel beret. Right: this coat follows the same style with a stand-up top-stitched collar and flap pockets at the hips. Large Breton worn back.

Quote:
1970 The magnificent cinnamon and white pure worsted wool tweed for this coat-dress ensemble is by Garigue. Double-breasted, the coat is trimmed with llama on its immense collar and cuffs.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Quote:
1969 Trench-style coat in beige and grege pure carded wool tweed from Scotlaine. Double-breasted, patent belted waist, flaps at yoke both front and back, and triangular flaps in cuffs. Beaver fur collar and hat.

Quote:
1966 "Vivace". Evening dress in crepe printed in blue, rose and black.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Quote:
1965 An evening suit with a new and young spirit. It is designed in red double-face wool. The sheath dress has a bathing suit top and a very audacious knee-high slit in the front. The dress is topped with a short classical jacket.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

That's about it for now. Phew! You can see more information on each piece (fabric manufacturer and content, hair stylist, season...) by searching for "Balmain" in the London College of Fashion database at http://vads.ahds.ac.uk/ixbin/hixclie...-button=search.

far from home...

Quote:
Balmain Crinkled Silk Evening Gown & Jacket, c.1958

An elegant & fine Parisian designer winter ensemble, just in time for the upcomming fall/winter season! Designed by one of Paris' finest couturiérs - Pierre Balmain, renown for nearly every field in fashion. Both garments are fashioned from navy cloqué (crinkled) silk.

The elegant and simple, statuesque-style cut gown, features a slightly upturned waist, with a bateau rounded neckline, and flowing shoulder straps that create a somewhat deep, rounded open back. The fabric is delicately gathered to the waistline, and since it is slightly upturned, the fabric follows along this arch perfectly. Fully lined in navy tissue silk, and along the bust is a navy satin brassiere. The dress fastens to the back with a zipper.

It is accompanied with its original loose-cut evening jacket, which is fully lined in luxurious, heavy cream silk- hence it is a winter ensemble. The thick lining used in this jacket helps create and maintain its "swing-style" (rounded) shape. With bracelet length sleeves, and no fastenings as it is meant to be either wrapped over its opposite side, or worn open.

The jacket is labeled to the back of the neck "Pierre Balmain / Paris ."
heavenofgowns

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30094-3.jpg (89.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 30094-2.jpg (82.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 30094-1.jpg (109.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 30094-6.jpg (79.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 30094-8.jpg (118.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 30094-9.jpg (91.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 30094-11.jpg (336.8 KB, 3 views)

20-06-2007
far from home...

Quote:
Balmain Couture Versailles Gown
French, 1973
The empire bodice of self backed nude organdy with bateau neckline and campanulate sleeves richly embroidered overall in arabesques of mirror variform paillettes in turquoise, pink, gold and lavender and further embellished with studs, bugle beads and rhinestones, silk faille sculptural skirt, size 4, labeled: Pierre Balmain/Paris.
Very good condition, minor loose paillettes.
The dress was made for and worn to the celebrated party following the landmark 1973 American Designers Fashion Show at the Palace of Versailles produced by Eleanor Lambert.
doylenewyork

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 376012.jpg (202.1 KB, 12 views)

20-06-2007
far from home...

Quote:
Balmain Couture Coptic Motif Gown
French, circa 1968
In silk and metallic matelasse with rows of stylized symbols in muted tones of sky blue, terra cotta, sand, silver and black, the empire bodice with round neckline, three-quarter length sleeves and inset cummerbund of black velvet with metallic antique gold passementerie, size 4, no label.
Excellent condition.
doylenewyork

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 375981.jpg (23.7 KB, 7 views)

21-06-2007
clever ain't wise

These are fantastic designs, thanks all

21-06-2007

Quote:
1968 Green silk chiffon and beaded babydoll party dress.

antiquedress.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
balmain, pierre