How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-03-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Feb 29th, 2004 - 12:09 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Feb 29th, 2004 - 12:09 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Feb 29th, 2004 - 12:07 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-softgrey
Quote:
@Feb 29th, 2004 - 2:04 am
well guys-i went to the exhibit this weekend, and i was not disappointed-does anyone know coco's real name?...i didn't.* how about madame gres?* *

"Coco"'s real name was Gabrielle Chanel. She apparently picked up the nickname while working as a cafe singer. Madama Gres was also known as Alix.
(From the essay Chanel in Context by Valerie Steell)
excellent-i'm impressed! someone's doing their homework...

i still can't believe i never knew that! [/b][/quote]
I'm actually putting together a project for one of my classes, and the names were mentioned in one of the books I'm reading. Sadly, I didn't just get it off the top of my head....

01-03-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugo@Feb 29th, 2004 - 4:27 pm
Purple,
I'll take some photos for you
Oh, thanks so much Sugo- that would be fantastic!

03-03-2004
doing it

By the way -- in case you have not found out yet -- they do not allow any photography at this exhibit.

I brought my camera too, half thinking they might not allow it...well when I got there I saw the warning sign...that, and I heard the guards yelling at a couple of different women who were trying to sneak off a shot. They also yell at you if you get too close to the garments.

The lighting is very low, in fact the lights are practically off, so it is hard to sketch, which they allow but only in pencil.

Despite the "challenges" I did love the exhibit, and have been there twice already.

03-03-2004
trendsetter

Sorry purple
no photos :\
I've already gotten on the bad side of every security guard in NYC.
I shoot architecture as part of my job and tripods arent allowed in NYC public places without a permit...so I try to sneak around them...I always get caught in the end

03-03-2004
etre soi-meme

wish i was in NY just to see this

thanks for the topic marrimoda

03-03-2004
V.I.P.

Aww...that's so mean that they won't let you take photos. Thanks anyway Sugo...
Those rules sounds like the ones from our gallery's recent Art Deco exhibit. The exhibit had a couple great dresses which we weren't even allowed to sketch! Fortunately my sister got a couple drawings done before the guard stopped her, but it was still pretty unfair. I mean, we are art students...

15-03-2004
offline.

I just went to see the show again today, I must say, my favorites were those of Lanvin and of course Vionnet. She had a darling little black dress.. so very modern for her time.

17-03-2004
doing it

my favorites were also Vionnet...
I did also like the colors in the Paquin dress...the green and red.

also some of the colors of the corsetted dresses in the beginning of the show -- those sisters I cant remember their names.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, couturiere, fashioning, modern, woman