How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-08-2008
far from home...

Quote:
The photographs of Edward Steichen are characterized by a bold sense of visual drama as well as a newly independent feminine ideal. Both elements are present in this image of models Ruth Covell and Marion Morehouse that appeared in the October 15, 1932, Vogue. Morehouse, a Steichen favorite, soon married poet e.e. cummings; Covell wears an ensemble by Madeleine Vionnet of a long white crepe dress with a dark sash.
condenaststore.com

30-08-2008
far from home...

Quote:
The current obsession with footwear is hardly new. Proof? This Edward Steichen photograph, which appeared in the June 1, 1934, Vogue. A model extends her legs upward, showing off a timeless pair of strappy flat sandals—a popular style to this day.
condenaststore.com

30-08-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Here, George Hoyningen-Huené experiments with the negative-positive style of photography popularized by Man Ray. His subject is a model with her back to the camera, who wears a Sacrez evening corset by Marguerite. The eerie, surreal image appeared in the April 15, 1930, Vogue.
condenaststore.com

30-08-2008
far from home...

Quote:
In this Toni Frissell photograph, a model swims with dolphins underwater in a water tank. She wears a striped, crinkled one-piece swimsuit by Brest. The playful image appeared in the January 1, 1939, Vogue.
condenaststore.com

30-08-2008
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Silk Floral Dress
C.1930S A brightly colored silk floral long dress in magenta, hot pink, yellow and purple with green foliage. The dress has a deep v-neckline yoke that the bodice is gathered into along the side seams. The short sleeves are tight at the cuff and have a moderately full puff at the shoulder. This dress is from the late 30s and has an early zipper on the left side seam to close.

woodlandfarmsantiques.com

the crying of humanity

Quote:
C.1930S A fantastic fitted white and black striped silk satin blouse with a great design in the collar and cuffs. The collar is a double layer with top collar meant to stand and the lower one to lay flat on the shoulder. The cuffs mirror the shape and lay over the back of the hand. Faceted jet buttons close the center front of the blouse.

the crying of humanity

Quote:
C.1938-1943 Little black silk velvet dress with gold sequin hearts at the high neckline. Short little puff sleeves that are gathered into the shoulder seams and are set with small little pads in the top of the sleeve. The high neckline is cut in standing points, saw-tooth. Side seam snaps. Matching belt set with matching sequin hearts. The dress also buttons at the back of the neck with velvet-covered buttons.

the crying of humanity

Quote:
Mulberry Crepe Dress
C.1937-43 A really wonderful mulberry silk and wool crepe dress with a great sleeve application. The short sleeves are set-in except at the top of the seam line where the sleeve is cartage pleated and applied to the shoulder. The bodice reflects the shoulder application with a tightly gathered center front medallion. The fabric is pleated together as in cartage pleating and then fixed into place. The fabric is allowed to run away freely from the medallion creating a circle of freely floating pleats. The skirt and bodice meet at the natural waistline and the dress closes at the left side seam with a zipper. This dress was used as the original owners wedding dress in 1945. there is also a center back neck zipper.

the crying of humanity

Quote:
Silk Floral Chiffon Dress
C.1930S This is a mint green silk chiffon dress with light pink, pink and rose-colored flowers with taupe colored stems. There are two stains on the front of the dress. They are two quarter sized co-joined circles center front at the neckline. The top circle is covered by the collar and the lower circle is half way exposed. They are both faint. There is an attached full slip of mint green china silk. The full Bertha collar drapes down the back and over the upper arms. The waist seam is above the natural waistline and the dress closes with snaps on the left side seam. The skirt has a midriff yoke that joins the yoke and the bias skirt in a pointed seam line.

the crying of humanity

Quote:
Brown Silk Chiffon Print Dress
C.1930S A lovely beige silk chiffon dress with a white leaf print. The dress has a waist yoke that curves down into the center of the skirt creating a center front panel. The bodice is deep and narrow that is framed with a rounded wide collar that on the right side extends into a lapel. On the left the ends in a seam line connected to a matching fabric inset. The right and left sides are accented with black butterfly buttons. The sleeves are 3/4 length and are set with a narrow cuff band and two insets of matching fabric that create a bit of flutter at the cuff. The dress has a matching self-belt. The back of the bodice has a series of pin-tucks along the neckline and the fullness is pleated into the waist seam.

the crying of humanity

Quote:
C.1930S Fitted floral cotton smock in bright colors of yellows, oranges and rust and blue with green foliage all on a white background. Sleeves are long and narrow and there is a waist sash belt that ties at the center back.

the crying of humanity

Quote:
Green & White Cotton Print Dress
C.1930S A sweet white cotton dress with two-tone green leaf print design. The waistline is slightly above the natural waist and there are no closures, the dress slips over the head. The sleeves are short little ruffles that extend out over the upper arm. The dress has a matching self-tie-belt.

the crying of humanity

Quote:
C.1930S A sweet silk chiffon dress with a black background with a small floral design in rust, yellow, pink and mauve with green foliage. Neck yoke and flutter sleeves are cut in one and creates a low scooped neckline. The bodice is gathered into the neckline yoke and the waistline seam. Side seam zipper closes this late 30s dress. A self-belt tie encircles the waist.

the crying of humanity

Quote:
Silk Velvet Dress
C.1930S a very yummy claret colored silk velvet dress with beaded inset of ivory silk chiffon. The inset of silk chiffon is v-shaped at the neckline and is weighted to create a cowl-like drape. The short sleeves have a slight hip at the shoulder were they are tightly gathered into the shoulder seam. A matching velvet self-belt tie snaps around the waist. There are two small spots on the inset front and some slight crushing to the velvet on the skirt in several spots.

the crying of humanity

Quote:
Navy Blue Swimsuit
C.1930s Navy blue wool swimsuit with a lapped bodice accented with an ivory cord. Scoop back and a matching belt with a fun little clothespin buckle.

Tags
1930s, fashion, stylish, thirties