How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-10-2006
V.I.P.

Sorry, don't really like even those examples...there's no difference to the other American gala gowns of today.

25-10-2006
tfs star

Ok, don't shoot me for saying this about him since he's supposed to be such an "Influential designer" or whatnot. But I'm really not impressed by his work. Don't get me wrong, I mean it's pretty but I don't see anything amazing. I just got through looking at the thread on Christian Dior and I was actually amazed at the clothing, the cuts and different shapes. But Halston seems a little stale and boring to me.

25-10-2006
V.I.P.

^^ Well, in his day they were cutting edge!!!

And, Queen Latifah...? That noise you hear is Roy spinning in his grave!!

26-10-2006
Amour Comme Hiver

^ If anything, I would think he would be rolling in his grave over Bradley Bayou being the head designer... I mean, that has to be the worst fashion match since Julien MacDonald at Givenchy

27-10-2006
backstage pass

halston was a big hit with fashionable women here in germany, too. my fashionista mom was a fan, maybe that's why halston still means "glamour" to me. she owned the model no. 704 dress back in the 70s. it was the exact one fashionJunkie posted via link: http://www.salon.com/people/portfoli...on/index2.html
so thanks very much for posting!

27-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reese06
Ok, don't shoot me for saying this about him since he's supposed to be such an "Influential designer" or whatnot. But I'm really not impressed by his work. Don't get me wrong, I mean it's pretty but I don't see anything amazing. I just got through looking at the thread on Christian Dior and I was actually amazed at the clothing, the cuts and different shapes. But Halston seems a little stale and boring to me.
Of course we won't shoot you for this comment! Everyone's entitled to think what they want, not everything is for everyone

Halston is one of the greatest American designers to me, but you are right in that Dior etc beat him easily.

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

he must hav been the valentino of his age fashion wise

V.I.P.

I always liked her personal style:tan, tall and lean, black turtlenecks, shades and cigs...Very chic (even if he was stoneed out of his mind half the time) he always looked very polished. I wonder if that was part of his charm to the ladies he dressed...? Bill Blass had the same thing; he fit right in with his customers!

28-10-2006
fashion icon

His major innovation was introducing comfortable and typically casual garments for all occasions (evening and daywear). He started a huge trend with that and it continued all the way up to the late 80's.

He also did wonders with the bias, he was notorious for using even wider fabric than Vionnet so he could make his immense flowing bias dresses that often used no more than one seam for its construction.

Like Vionnet, his clothes were seemingly simple but actually very complex.

Last edited by Mutterlein; 28-10-2006 at 11:39 AM.
28-10-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reese06

well, for you to understand the importance and relevance of Halston. it would be good to understand the times that he lived in.
You made a comparison to Dior, the thing is , Halston lived in a time whem there was a lot of Frou-Frou in womens fashion, women needed help to dress themselves in the clothing made by Dior (Marc Bohan really) Ungaro etc. The simplicity that halston brought to womens fashion at the time was somewhat revolutionary.
he gave them clothes that were easy to wear, easy to travel with, and that flatter all body types. they could go out and dance, they could travel easily in a car and they could take an airplane without packing excessively.
the importance of these things may not be readily understood today. but if seen in the context of his time , it helps one to grasp his importance.
also it should be noted that haston was somewhat well known in fashion circles before he became a designer, He was a milliner at Bergdorf Goodman before his foray into fashion and was already famous for designing Jackie kennedy's "pillbox" hat...........................

26-02-2007
front row

vintage Halston pieces
sources: enokiworld.com and poshvintage.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970's Halston Gold Halter Dress-$3325.jpg (39.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 1970's Halston Grape Silk Crepe Grecian Gown.jpg (14.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg halstonbeadedgown.jpg (16.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg halstoncoralspiral.jpg (13.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg halstondupioni.jpg (14.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg halstongreen.jpg (22.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg halstonredsuit.jpg (14.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg halstonsequin.jpg (14.4 KB, 5 views)

16-03-2007
far from home...

thefrock

16-03-2007
far from home...

thefrock

12-06-2007
Press escape to continue.

1971 Silk Dress in Bias Spiral Construction with White Floral Motifs

1978 Purple Silk Organza One-piece Dress

1970s Red Silk Jersey Asymmetrical Dress

1970s Black Silk Faille Dress

More images of these can be seen at the source: http://dept.kent.edu/museum/exhibit/spirals/halston.htm

far from home...

US Vogue
October 2000

hfgl

Attached Images
File Type: jpg afvism10.jpg (72.8 KB, 31 views)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
halston