How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Evening Dress
Creation date
1976-1978
Materials cashmere

Halston was the inventor of the first truly American style of high fashion. He focused on simplicity and ease.

"I think the one-piece dress is the most useful for most people," he once said. Halston used cashmere to make the simplest of silhouettes luxurious to wear.
imamuseum.org

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Evening Ensemble
Creation date about 1980
Materials Silk Georgette

For prints, Halston leaned toward abstract patterns-soft washes and brushstrokes rather than identifiable motifs. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, inspired by Kandinsky, he employed prints with soft-edged zig-zags, circles and rectangles.

On a visit to Japan in 1980, Halston was inspired by Japanese designs. This extraordinary pattern, custom to this dress, was hand-printed in Japan.
imamuseum.org

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Evening Ensemble
Creation date
about 1970
Materials crushed silk velvet, tie-dyed

Halston's first runway show in 1968 was the debut for his "pajama dressing." The style was simple, the line uncomplicated, and fabrics were interesting and unexpected.

In the 1960s and 1970s tie-dying was popular among hippies and flower children. Halston's adaptation, a style known as "hippy chic," shows how street fashion influenced high fashion.
imamuseum.org

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Evening Ensemble
Creation date
about 1976
Materials textured silk

In 1976 it seemed that every fashionable woman was wearing Halston's asymmetrical neckline dress, according to a News York Times article from that year. A Halston signature, it was so popular that he interpreted it in many fabrics and a variety of styles.

This evening pajama has a two-piece bias-cut top. The straight-leg trousers are also cut on the bias, allowing the fabric to drape and flow when worn.
imamuseum.org

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Evening Dress
Creation date
1970s
Materials Silk Chiffon

Halston said, "Chiffon is the most beautiful feminine fabric for women of every age."

The halter bodice of this dramatic evening dress is constructed of four layers of chiffon. The petal skirt is constructed with three layers of doubled chiffon in a sarong wrap, revealing the leg several inches above the knee in the front and dropping to the floor in back.
imamuseum.org

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Day Dress
Creation date
about 1972
Materials Ultrasuede

In the 1970s Ultrasuede was almost synonymous with the Halston name. Ultrasuede provided a unique alternative to other fabrics because of its comfort and practicality.

The bodice and raglan sleeves of this shirtwaist dress were cut in one piece. The self-tie belt is adorned with a heart-shaped silver buckle.
imamuseum.org

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Evening Ensemble
Creation date early 1970s
Materials silk chiffon, tie-dyed

Halston revamped the 1930s pajama into cocktail and evening attire by making them out of sheer fabrics.

Halston revamped the 1930s pajama into cocktail and evening attire by making them out of sheer fabrics.
imamuseum.org

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Late Day Dress
Creation date 1980s
Materials wool with metal zipper

Halston's simplest and purest garments were actually very complex to conceive.

His approach to Minimalism is evident in the stark simplicity of this dress. The only decorative element is a 49-inch gold zipper that is placed under the left armhole. It diagonally crosses the dress in front and ends in the center back hem.
imamuseum.org

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Day Ensemble
Creation date 1972-1973
Materials cashmere, mother-of-pearl buttons

Halston had an incredible sense of color, and it is said that he never had enough colors to work with. Lilac, which was never popular, was made desirable because the shade he introduced was so elegant.

The cardigan jacket has a jewel neckline with long, slender sleeves. The mother-of-pearl buttons were dyed to match and a narrow self-tie belt is worn with it.
imamuseum.org

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Evening Ensemble
Creation date
Materials Silk Chiffon

Halston said, "I always make a lot of red [dresses] because it's the color noticed most. I advise clients who do major appearances to wear bright red, blue or yellow."

The jumpsuit has a one-shoulder bodice, which is constructed of four layers of chiffon. It is made in two pieces: the back overlaps the front on the right side, while the front overlaps the back on the left.
imamuseum.org

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Cocktail Dress
Creation date
Materials silk organza

In 1980, Women Wear Daily gave Halston a new nickname: "Mr. Ruffle." His ruffle technique was called a paradox because "while virtually every piece of clothing sports some sort of flourish or ruffle, the best of these also possess a cleanly sculpted feel."

Individually cut petals are paired, gathered and stitched all over the skirt to create a voluminous look.
imamuseum.org

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Evening Ensemble
Creation date
Materials silk chiffon

Halston was greatly influenced by earlier ethnographic styles, which he updated for the 1970s by incorporating classic techniques.

This bodice has a T-shape construction, with no shoulder seams and a built-in halter top. The skirt consists of five layers of chiffon, each cut in a semicircular format.
imamuseum.org

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Day Dress
Creation date
mid 1970s
Materials silk jersey

Halston used very few prints in his collections, but he knew their importance for camouflaging the body's problem areas. He preferred abstract and irregular patterns over recognizable motifs.

The bodice, the raglan sleeves and the sash of this dress were all cut in one piece on the bias, while the skirt was cut on a straight grain.
imamuseum.org

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Evening Dress
Creation date 1971
Materials silk jersey, resist dyed

This exceptional double silk jersey dress features a trompe l'oeil belt in the form of a snake.

Shibori (a stitched resist technique similar to tie-dye) and painting were used to create the snake motif.
imamuseum.org

30-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Evening Ensemble (skirt, bodice, wrap)
Creation date 1981
Materials Synthetic Tulle | Jersey
imamuseum.org

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
halston