How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-06-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post

1962 Fashion Show
fascinating video, thanks for sharing. I find the woman who known him since he was 16 yrs old comments about 'ready to wear' hilarious. I wonder if she's still alive, what she thinks of today's fashion!

Jackqueline B. Kennedy's sister sounds so much like her

Last edited by DosViolines; 03-06-2007 at 08:19 AM. Reason: removed youtube window from quote

14-06-2007
Press escape to continue.

^ You're welcome! And thanks to DosViolines for moving this thread!

The Pierre Bergé Yves Saint Laurent Foundation can be accessed here: http://www.fondation-pb-ysl.net.

V.I.P.

US Vogue, Sept. 1975
Photographer: Helmut Newton
Model: Vibeke, Ford Models (she's still with Ford LA/NY in the classic div.)
"le Smoking" ... the first woman's tuxedo designed by Yves Saint Laurent in 1966
Vibeke 1975 by Helmut Newton.jpg

http://www.garfnet.org.uk/new_mill/s...egs/newton.jpg

Same shoot ... for French Vogue, Sept. 1975
Other model ... unknown
A little more risque, no?

Scanned by ChrissyM

Quote:
A toast to Yves for 'le smoking'

By Suzy Menkes International Herald Tribune

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 5, 2005

'I feel pleased - and proud," said Yves Saint Laurent, looking at the tuxedo suits arranged on plinths like pieces on a chess board, with a vast image of the designer with Catherine Deneuve on the lacquered black wall.
As if by magic, the coal black pantsuits seemed to move around. They were not mannequins coming to life, but the guests invited to the Fondation Pierre Bergé-Yves Saint Laurent to celebrate "Smoking Forever."
It is not, as the title suggests, permission to light up. Although, this being France, cigarettes were being puffed between elegantly manicured fingers by the time the couturier's close friends had moved from the rigorous exhibition, with its checkerboard floor, modernist white columns and shiny black grand piano, to the gilded dining room.
There, with the curvaceous and vivacious Deneuve between Saint Laurent and the culture minister, Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres, le tout Paris raised glasses of vodka to "Yves," as caviar arrived in individual dishes molded out of ice from Prunier - Bergé's restaurant.
"I don't remember my first tuxedo - but I know I have always worn one with nothing underneath," said Betty Catroux, after eyeing the opening exhibit: a 1966 tux with a froth of white blouse underneath and a delicate sketch of the outfit from the master's hand.
"I like le smoking because that was the moment when Yves empowered women," said Bergé, who was sitting between Monique Lang, wife of the former culture minister Jack Lang and June Newton, whose late husband Helmut gave a sexual charge to the tux with his iconic nude/dressed images in a dark alley in 1975. .......
I have a personal story that relates to these pictures .... if interested, you can see it here.

Last edited by BetteT; 17-06-2007 at 08:15 PM.
16-06-2007
far from home...

Quote:
Yves Saint Laurent Black Safari Tunic Shirt
French, 1970s
Cotton poplin shirt, slit at neck with self laces, flap patch pockets at each side breast and hip, set-in long sleeves with controlled pleat at cuff, inverted pleat at center back stitched down at waist, size 8, labeled: Yves Saint Laurent/rive gauche.
Excellent condition.
See Vogue, October 2006, p.308 and Vogue, October 1, 1969 for Berry Berenson's photograph of Marisa Berenson modelling this design as a dress - with lacquer red canvas boots.
doylenewyork

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 542050.jpg (22.5 KB, 23 views)

16-06-2007
far from home...

Quote:
Yves Saint Laurent Couture Le Smoking
French, 1960s
Of black silk satin, the single button jacket with exaggerated notch collar and horizontal hip tab pockets and chest pocket, two-piece sleeve with three menswear buttons and handworked buttonholes, black crepe back satin lining, the tapered unlined pants with front pleats and fly, size 6, labeled: Yves Saint Laurent/Made in France/28296.
Excellent condition.
doylenewyork

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 544073.jpg (26.0 KB, 14 views)

19-06-2007
far from home...

Christy Turlington wearing Yves Saint Laurent in:
"Back to the Future"
Photographed by Steven Meisel
American Vogue, November 1986
djuna.cine21.com

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 86-11-02.jpg (63.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 86-11-06.jpg (53.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 86-11-07.jpg (42.1 KB, 28 views)

20-06-2007
taz
MUSE

thanks alot DosViolines, you deserve a big karma for these lovely pics. ..they are so chic.. so YSL

20-06-2007
far from home...

Aaaw, thanks taz

20-06-2007
Press escape to continue.

"Le Smoking" is one of my all time favorites, and it really should be a classic right up there with a Chanel suit. It looks like a combination of smoke and ash. Extraordinary!

trendsetter

^^ there's an amazing herve dress for sale on ebay right now. the same one lindsay lohan wore. the colorful banded dress.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HERVE-LEGER-COUT...QQcmdZViewItem

08-07-2007
earthbound

Quote:
Yves Saint Laurent Haute Couture, circa 1970

copyright © 2007 Christopher Moore Limited
catwalking.com

08-07-2007
earthbound

Quote:
Catherine Deneuve congratulates Yves Saint Laurent backstage after his Autumn Winter 1992 Haute Couture show, Hotel Intercontinental, Paris, July 1992

copyright © 2007 Christopher Moore Limited
catwalking.com

09-07-2007
far from home...

Quote:
Yves Saint Laurent numbered couture evening pantsuit, 1970s

The ensemble is fashioned from heavy beige pebbled satin. The marvelous drape of such a substantial-weight fabric can be found only in couture. Totally covered with opaque ivory sequins, the tunic is finished at the neckline, wrists, and hem with padded self binding.

The torso is lined with lightweight beige satin; the sleeves are lined with matching silk chiffon. The tunic closes in back with a narrow metal zipper, while the sleeves have short metal zippers at the wrists. The wide leg pants are unlined and close in front with a metal zipper. All the finishing is done by hand, of course.
vintagetextile

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2822a.jpg (44.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2822h.jpg (102.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2822b.jpg (44.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 2822c.jpg (42.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2822d.jpg (52.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2822m.jpg (78.2 KB, 4 views)

09-07-2007
far from home...

Quote:
Yves Saint Laurent numbered couture evening gown, 1970s

The uncluttered clean lines are classic on this elegant toga-style evening gown. Though simple in shape, the gown is unmistakably couture. The exquisite hand-beaded detail and luxurious drape of the heavy silk faille cannot be found in ready-to-wear. The gown, which appears effortlessly unconstructed in the manner of wrapping a towel around the body, is indeed highly constructed on the inside to ensure the proper drape.

The gown is fashioned from substantial-weight ivory silk faille and is totally lined with matching silk crepe. The bodice features a built-in boned corset—see the pictures below. The gown closes with a concealed zipper under the wrapped front. The magenta hand-embroidered borders combine silk floss, faux metallic braid, bugle beads, loops of small glass beads, and faceted ball beads in a beautifully textured mix.
vintagetextile

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2821a_1.jpg (46.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2821s.jpg (82.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2821c_1.jpg (42.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2821e_1.jpg (40.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2821i_1.jpg (130.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2821j_1.jpg (68.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2821r.jpg (64.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2821t.jpg (68.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2821u.jpg (86.0 KB, 3 views)

10-07-2007
far from home...

US Vogue October 1983 (Fall Haute Couture edition)
Scanned by Mélange

Original post

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
laurent, saint, yves