How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-06-2008
clever ain't wise

Almost forgot this one, same source. Also posted some of the designs of his accompanying this editorial, here:

British Vogue 1969 - Jane Birkin in YSL Rive Gauche

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 25-06-2008 at 03:41 AM.

05-07-2008
front row

Thanks a lot! Great pics, he and his style are legendary. Does anyone have more pics of YSL in his home during the late 60s early 70s? Also of a male model wearing an YSL safari jacket?

24-07-2008
taz
MUSE

Quote:
£300m: Fashion king's art collection in sale of century

</EM>
Auction houses go to war for the right to stage the biggest private-owner sale ever
By Andrew Johnson
Sunday, 13 July 2008

AP
Yves Saint Laurent's love of 20th-century art inspired his Mondrian dress

The fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent amassed an art collection that is renowned as one of the most fabulous in private hands. It includes works by Old Masters and contemporary greats, among them Picasso, Mondrian, Warhol, Matisse and Goya, to name just a few.

Now, following his death last month aged 71, Saint Laurent's business partner, former companion and heir, Pierre Bergé – with whom he built the collection – is reported to be considering a massive international sale.
With the collection believed to be worth a staggering £300m, it would be not only the sale of the century, but the biggest private-owner sale ever.
With the glamour surrounding the YSL brand and the vast sums involved, The Art Newspaper reports that the world's two biggest auction houses, Sotheby's and Christie's, have locked horns over which one should handle the sale.
Both houses have apparently "pitched" to M Bergé, who runs his own small auction house in Paris, which is unable to handle the size of the auction.
The paper claims Sotheby's had all but secured the sale in a deal that fell through a month before the designer's death. Christie's quickly stepped in and is believed to be close to clinching the deal. Christie's is helped by the fact that François Pinault, its owner, owned the YSL couture house before Saint Laurent retired in 2002 and it ceased operating.
One of Saint Laurent's most famous designs was inspired by his love of art: the Mondrian dress, which was part of his 1966 Pop Art collection.
Saint Laurent drew up a will with M Bergé saying that the art collection should either be left to the foundation they had created in Paris to preserve his work, or sold, with the proceeds left to the foundation. Although M Bergé, who was the business brains behind YSL for many years, and Saint Laurent were renowned art collectors, little is known about the details of their collection, though it was described by Sotheby's UK chairman, James Stourton, in his 2007 book Great Collectors of Our Time, as a "room of masterpieces".
independent

Quote:
Christie's Will Sell YSL's Art Collection

By Bloomberg News | July 17, 2008

Christie's International said it will be selling the art collection of Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé in Paris in February 2009.
The auction will be held in association with Pierre Bergé & Associates, the Paris auction house owned by the fashion designer's former business partner, Christie's said Wednesday in an e-mailed statement.
The specific date and contents of the sale have yet to be announced, London-based Christie's said.
Saint Laurent died last month, aged 71. He and Mr. Bergé, who co-founded the Yves Saint Laurent couture house in 1961, amassed a collection of artworks that is believed to be worth as much as $599 million, according to the Art Newspaper.
The newspaper said that their collection features works by a range of contemporary artists and old masters that includes Picasso, Warhol, Mondrian, Matisse, and Goya.
nysun
Yves & Pierre wrote the most perfect scenario for YSL, I mean he retired in the right time with an unforgittable grand & chic celebration, he sold his name to the right group & now it is in safe hands, he created his own museum & now the art collection that they had collected over years is to be sold to preserve his name & legacy forever...
& as Yves once said: " The most important thing is to last."
& he will!
RIP Yves .. love you forever....

Last edited by taz; 24-07-2008 at 04:40 AM.
27-07-2008
clever ain't wise

Yves Saint Laurent and Angelica Houston - from British Vogue in the fall of 1973.

More Yves from this issue here.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 27-07-2008 at 11:01 PM.
27-07-2008
windowshopping

such a pretty dress!

RIP Yves Saint Laurent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estella Mare View Post
^i love that picture

cocktail dress from 1967 worn by famous ballerina margot fonteyn
from www.museumofcostume.co.uk/

28-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Christian Dior Smoke Silk Faille Ballgown
Attributed to Yves Saint Laurent, French, Autumn-Winter 1956
The bodice with low V-neckline draped either side of bustline into self bow knot, three-quarter length kimono sleeve, trapeze skirt with stiffened deliberate one sided central dart, full fitted foundation attached only at front bow knot, four layers of petticoat each with double band of horsehair reinforcement, the outer of organza, the rest tulle, with voluminous stole of full width faille fringed at ends, labeled: Christian Dior/Paris/Automne-Hiver 1956/82373/ and tape label: 82373/S.c.c. Bergdorf Goodman/Robe Musique-de-Nuit-/Bertha. and Made in France.
This dress was photographed for Harper's Bazaar, October 17, 1956 on the model Suzy Parker by Richard Avedon.
doylenewyork

28-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Yves Saint Laurent for Dior Leopard Trimmed Suit
French, late 1950s
The sleeveless dress with black silk satin bodice and brushed wool skirt divided by an inverted curvilinear V seam at center front, echoed by two curved tab pockets at hip, the topstitched hem of curvilinear surplice closing aligning with top edge of pockets, crisp bow at left shoulder, asymmetrical leopard collar, long sleeve, dress labeled: Christian Dior/Boutique/Paris/3297/401 and jacket labeled: Christian Dior/Boutique/Paris/330/401.
doylenewyork

28-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Lace Cocktail Dress By Dior, Spring/Summer 1960

This strapless, white lace cocktail dress was probably designed by Yves Saint Laurent at Christian Dior for the Spring/Summer collection of 1960. The dress is fitted onto a silk corset and is made from a large-scale floral lace, which is supported by layers of silk and nylon net. Some of the lace pattern has been cut away and then reapplied to the material to give the dress a three-dimensional surface.

The House of Dior often created short evening and cocktail dresses from lace and other delicate materials for their Spring/Summer collections.

A pair of shoes with a similar floral pattern were made by Massaro of Paris to complement the dress.
museums.leics.gov.uk

28-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Yves Sant Laurent Black Matelasse Cocktail Dress
French, late 1970s
A 1950s inspired bubble dress, the asymmetrical hem gathered up above knee at right front to black satin bow, bordered with black curled ostrich feathers, puff bracelet length sleeves, labeled: Yves Saint Laurent/rive gauche.
doylenewyork

29-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Yves Saint Laurent Bikini Evening Dress
French, circa 1966
Of black silk peau de soie, the midriff baring bodice sewn to mimic a pointed scarf draped across front and tied at center back, sewn only to skirt at point at center front, the waistbandless skirt straight, with slight fullness, labeled: Yves Saint Laurent/Paris/Made In France. model no.09912.
doylenewyork

29-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Yves Saint Laurent Sequin Striped Sailor Dress
French, circa 1966
The shift with long straight sleeves and middy style neckline, covered entirely with blue and white stripes worked in overlapping sequins, labeled: Yves Satin Laurent/Paris/Made In France, model no. 011674 and Holt Renfrew.
doylenewyork

29-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Yves Saint Laurent Circus Cocktail Dress
French, circa 1967
Of circus pink peau de soie, the lower portion of the dropped waist chemise sewn with tiers of ostrich feathers bordered at top with separate self belt, the cuffs of the draped long sleeves encrusted with pink and white faceted stones and beads, back buttons, separate silk slip, labeled: Yves Saint Laurent/Paris/Made In France, model no. 016592.
doylenewyork

29-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Yves Saint Laurent Navy Blue Suit
French, circa 1966
Of herringbone weave wool, comprising a nautical style three-quarter length coat with wide open pointed collar and lapels, seam at waist, brass buttons with compass point design, and short hip hugger A-line skirt, labeled: Yves Saint Laurent/Paris/Made In France, model no. 011453
doylenewyork

29-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Yves Saint Laurent Brown Knit Ensemble
French, circa 1966
Comprising a knee length sleeveless shift with bodice yoke, square armscyes, and a safari style jacket with band collar, low patch pockets, front placket concealing buttons, labeled: Yves Saint Laurent/Paris/Made In France, model number 016110.
doylenewyork

29-07-2008
far from home...

Quote:
Yves Saint Laurent Gun Metal Gray Coat
French, late 1960s
Wool gabardine, double-breasted, with open notched collar, low flapped patch pockets, welt seaming at edges and hem, labeled: Yves Saint Laurent/Paris/Made In France, model no. 011551.
doylenewyork

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
laurent, saint, yves