How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-08-2005
fashion insider

here is a link to the Yves Saint Laurent foundation, it contains lots of images from the 60's and onwards.
http://www.ysl-hautecouture.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YSLprize.jpg (9.9 KB, 743 views)

12-08-2005
windowshopping

mdankwah, thank you so much! In the photos on the Foundation's website, there is a very similar dress in a different fabric from Fall/Winter 1978, and the rest of that collection features a lot of dark velvet, which is what my dress is made of. So I think I can pretty confidently say this dress is Fall/Winter 1978 -- even more exciting because that's when I was born! If you know anywhere I might be able to see the full collection, that would be even more awesome...

12-08-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:

someone told me that it really reflected the women's collection until a certain time...it would be interesting to see that...

A little bird told me something similar...

I wanted to post some highlights from http://www.ysl-hautecouture.com/ but the licenses have expired on all my screenshot utilities.

fashion icon

Charming... Simply charming...

barcode

Another favorite Yves collection is the African inspired one from 1967....the beadwork of these dresses just amazes me.

B&W photos: YSL-Hautecouture.com, Color photos: Firstview.com

Last edited by Spike413; 12-08-2005 at 10:37 AM.
12-08-2005
flaunt the imperfection

thank you so much spike...seems like 1967 was a good year for our friend yves...

what year are the newer pics from spike?...

12-08-2005
barcode

His 2002 retrospective collection for the s/s 2002 couture season.

the link for anyone who would like to check it out.
Firstview.com

12-08-2005
flaunt the imperfection

ahh....thanks again!!....

12-08-2005
V.I.P.

wow, spike, you've managed to find some amazing photographs.
i'd give you more karma if i could.

V.I.P.

anyone familiar with these?
since you all seem so knowledgable about YSL, i was wondering if you could help. i aquired these just a couple of days ago. they are both YSL but im not sure from what time period or collection. i have a post in the shoe forum, but no ones been able to help as of yet. hopefully someone here can help me! much appreciated!

Last edited by jun3machina; 07-01-2007 at 09:59 PM.
12-08-2005
flaunt the imperfection

well-you've got the link to all the ysl archives...
maybe if you browse through you'll find them...

12-08-2005
V.I.P.

well there are a couple of collections that these look like they could have been from, all early nineties...but even w/ the picture enlarged, its really hard to tell. great site with the archives!!!

13-08-2005
barcode

I really like those boots, they'd look great with this winters Russian inspired coats.

13-08-2005
scenester

jun...i'm betting early 90's as well...

13-08-2005
kit
tfs star

Sorry I 'm late in thanking you all for these wonderful pics that reveal SO much of what Yves REALLY means as far as 20th Century fashion is concerned .

At the risk of Soft's ire , I cannot resist reposting this image as the outfit is ME . ( In spirit , at the VERY least . )

I have the leather jacket and numerous trousers in the same vein . In fact I have a number of Yves leather jackets which are absolutely amazing , and I also have a dark brown leather trench maxi-coat from the first men's collection that he did , and was the subject of much publicity when the St.Laurent Rive Gauche Homme shop opened on the Brompton Road in 1970 .
There was a Russian feel to the collection , and I fell in love with a side buttoning astrakhan overcoat with wolf sleeves , that was THE piece of the collection , but well beyond my pocket at the time .

The Lady Rendlesham deigned to sell the side -buttoning black Russian shirt of the collection , at the extraordinary price of 10 , as a come on , and of course it was sold out in hours .
Another highlight of the collection was a knitted navy wool tank top with a circle of varicoloured lurex in the front , to be worn with one of the Yves basics , a mandarin collared silk shirt . Fabulous . It was said that Yves and Pierre had EVERY concierge in Paris , madly knitting away to meet the orders for this first , SO important men's collection .

As for the famous ' Montmartre poule ' collection , it caused a riot , as the ladies who lunch of the time , were appalled by the sight of young shapely women , dressed in broad shouldered red dresses , printed with lucious lips and swaying rhythmically with utter sexual abandon , and were expected to buy into this stack of memories that Yves retained from his youth .

To be entirely fair , La Rendlesham stoutly defended Yves and told him to send out his collection again to confound the critics , but unfortunately it only resulted in Yves sending out a very staid and safe collection the following season , very much based on clothes that were sold in the UK label ' JAEGER ' collections , if not like the equally bourgeois French ' Rodier ' collections .

Yves was a genius in ' L'Art de Choc ' and all this simply served to keep his name in the public eye as the ultimate fashion designer , despite the fact that Karl Lagerfeld was snapping at his heels at CHLOE , and the Italians , like Walter Albini were already on the horizon to challenge the French dominance of RTW .

There'll be more from me on this thread as I remember it , but in the meanwhile , thanks so much again for all these glorious images that make me SO regretful of Tom Ford's attempt to ' do ' an Yves and nearly ruin the label as a result , although I will allow that the refurbishment of the shops that went with his revamp , have kept alive a truly venerable French institution that Stefano Pilati has managed to get the measure of , and earning worthwhile praise for his efforts into the bargain .

Last edited by kit; 13-08-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
laurent, saint, yves