How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-05-2009
V.I.P.

Dior Couture SS93 finale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTchxQELXsA

24-05-2009
tfs star

He was one of the most creative designers ever lived, and my personal favorite. A genius, but also a gentleman with supreme elegance. He was the designer who made the 'white shirt' happen.. the architecture, the details... You could see trances of a cityscape in this looks.

He combined the best of Donna Karan, Armani, Tom Ford, way before they designed their famous pieces. He is not only irreplaceable, but also a huge influence. I still think he designed some of the most elegant, and sexy clothes ever imaginable.

He is deeply missed.

31-05-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
^those illustrations must be by Lorenzo Mattotti

love the cloud jacket and green look after it.. pretty the way the lapels roll.. and weird-looking netty fabrics. thanks for the scans fashion.fashoff ! too bad there wasn't more info about the cloud jacket. i'm trying to make a similar collar :-p
^they are by mattotti

fashion icon

It's hard to find pictures of Gianfranco's non-Dior designs from before the year 2000.

Fall/Winter 1991

scan by rechungpa

29-07-2010
fashion icon

Same as above

bellazon
flickr/polarstern2010

11-08-2010
fashion icon

Quote:
A Magnificent Gianfranco Ferré Gown
What is magnificent? Tom Cruise said that Katie Holmes is a magnificent woman. It's not every day a man calls a woman magnificent. I am pretty certain that I have never been called magnificent - ahem! When I think of magnificence, I think of something epic, something extraordinary, something grand. When I saw this Gianfranco Ferré gown, I thought, much like Tom Cruise thought of Katie Holmes, that this was truly magnificent.

I also understood immediately why Gianfranco Ferré has been called the architect of fashion. Franca Sozzani the editor of Italian Vogue, said that "in his mind there was a certain ideal kind of woman".

This a dress for a Helen of Troy. It is the dress that could launch a thousand ships. It is ideal beauty and it is magnificent.
The gown is made from a pleated silk with a formfitting column that is beautifully and dramatically wrapped in a grand swath of fabric that starts at the bust and continuing around the to the back of the gown ending in a lavish train.

It is a dress not for a girl but for a woman and it is for the woman who celebrates being a woman.

There is a fine layer of beaded embroidery around the top of the dress.

This is not the dress for the woman who wants to blend in but for the one who says, I am woman hear me roar! And who knows how to make an entrance!

rarevintage.blogspot.com

11-08-2010
fashion icon

It took me time to appreciate Ferre...but now, i have to recognize he was such a designer. He re created and used concept of class like no one... black, white, colors, great outlines ! that is...or was ferre

15-08-2010
fashion icon

Quote:
Gianfranco Ferre was an innovator. He dreamed of transforming fabric into something glamorous, elegant and never before seen. This unique interpretation of the "smoking" suit manages to be sparse and dramatic. The narrowly cut jacket has a sculptural sleeve that can pull down to show a bare shoulder. The pants are a great cut: narrow through the hips and thighs and then gradually increasing into a wide leg with a cuff.

Getting dressed up was never so comfortable and so chic!

rarevintage.blogspot.com

20-08-2010
fashion icon

A/W 1987 Ferré Haute Couture

facebook/scans by lexee moda

22-08-2010
fashion icon

Same as above

flickr/callmewanda

22-08-2010
backstage pass

Spiral, you do an amazing job contributing to the history of fashion threads. I, for one, appreciate your contributions!

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavieenrose View Post
Spiral, you do an amazing job contributing to the history of fashion threads. I, for one, appreciate your contributions!
Thanks so much.

25-08-2010
fashion icon

The "Frank Lloyd Wright of Italian Fashion"

26-08-2010
fashion icon

Ferré retrospective, 1991-2003

30-08-2010
fashion icon

S/S 1988 HC

jalougallery

Previous Thread | Next Thread »