How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-12-2004
Vision of Paradise

havoc
more stuff my mother liked ( biba and now this... ) i had no idea that there was still clothing. ive been to the madison ave boutique, a few years ago, looking for a discontinued fragrance called havoc that she liked long ago, but they will not 'revive' it. but mary quant has a great line of cosmetics...great colors! i bought this lipstick that came in a little aluminum compact i should go back...i always forget about that place. good, fun color selection a lot of primary colors ( esp. nail polishes! )

25-12-2004
tfs star

Wow, I had no idea her label was still producing collections!

Is Mary Quant still the creative force behind the designs though?

25-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

"A woman is as young as her knees." mary quant...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quant_m.jpg (10.9 KB, 353 views)

25-12-2004
windowshopping

Oh god, then pass the Geritol! I am tall and - occasionally - proportioned, but with Hillary Clinton knees. In other words, how I loved black Danskins!

Funny about some horizontal stripes. Just the right ones can be quite non-fattening. I have a vintage dress like the MQ you posted, but made by like Beyer or Fritzi or something. It even passed the 3-way mirror test.

So the clothes here?
http://www.maryquantamericas.com/
I think I could go for the "lame top" (hee) for the iconic Quant posie...aaaaand I can't really see the graphics on the halter dress....but maybe... Other than that, though, not sure I see anything I couldn't live without. You?

You know the other thing I miss from the magaziones of that era? The long Young Edwardian ads along the side of the page.

25-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Though she's best known for the mini, her legacy is more than a single garment — it's an entire style known as the London Look, which by mid-decade meant clothes with simple lines, short/shorter/shortest skirts, bold colors, and flats. Photos of Mary in the '60s show her with the same short hair, the same short skirts, and the same tights and boots and blouses and eye shadow as any of her marvelous models. She's an expert on the subject of clothes and clothes history, of course: "I grew up making my own clothes because I didn't like clothes the way they were," she explained in Blown Away, "I had a very strong idea of how I wanted to look.

read full story here...http://www.swinginchicks.com/mary_quant.htm

25-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

TODAY ... http://www.designerhistory.com/histo...ion/quant.html

Her clothes have continued to sell well, even today, but she never again achieved the popularity and volume of sales that she did in the 60's. Her cosmetic line however, sells very well today.

Mary Quant is now the CEO of the London house of Fraser. She also continues to work as a free-lance designer for various companies. At an age when most designers have put down their sketch pads, Mary still oversees all the creative aspects of her atelier just off London's King's Road.

25-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusrox
Oh god, then pass the Geritol! I am tall and - occasionally - proportioned, but with Hillary Clinton knees. In other words, how I loved black Danskins!

Funny about some horizontal stripes. Just the right ones can be quite non-fattening. I have a vintage dress like the MQ you posted, but made by like Beyer or Fritzi or something. It even passed the 3-way mirror test.

So the clothes here?
http://www.maryquantamericas.com/
I think I could go for the "lame top" (hee) for the iconic Quant posie...aaaaand I can't really see the graphics on the halter dress....but maybe... Other than that, though, not sure I see anything I couldn't live without. You?

You know the other thing I miss from the magaziones of that era? The long Young Edwardian ads along the side of the page.
hi linusrox...welcome to tfs...and thx for the link to the 'official' website...
i think the accessories on there are MUCH cuter than the clothes...i think that flowerr logo of hers works much better as a graphic on bags than it does on clothes...

your dress sounds adorable...of course once that look became popular...everyone started doing it...so there are many similar pieces out there... :p ...

25-12-2004
windowshopping

Thanks for the welcome I wonder if Mary still tries to carry off a black Sassoon. Any recent photos of her?

You know, I really just came to Fashionspot a'looking for some Project Runway chat. I wonder why that thread is dead, Fred? I find that show uniquely cracklike.
Here's some chatter about the show:
http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....=3118843&st=80

25-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

well...a lot of our members are in other parts of the world and don't see the show...i find it very entertaining...but can never remember when it's on...i need some sort of alert system to remind me...

re-mary quant's coif...recent pic show no sassoon...still black however...

23-01-2005
fashion icon

Mod Mary!!!

15-07-2007
Press escape to continue.

Thanks for the tip, DosViolines.

Quote:
Mary Quant: A New Approach in Chelsea 1955–1967

Window dressing at Bazzar, 138a King's Road, 1959. © Getty Images

'Snobbery has gone out of fashion, and in our shops you will find duchesses jostling with typists to buy the same dresses.' Mary Quant

Around this time a group of young artists, film directors and socialites gravitated towards the King's Road. Known by the media as the 'Chelsea Set', they made the name Chelsea synonymous with a new way of living and dressing.

Mary Quant's boutique, set up in 1955, epitomised this new philosophy and set the standard for later entrepreneurs. Called Bazaar, it was known for its surreal window displays and eclectic mix of clothes, accessories and costume jewellery. The clothes were decidedly modern. 'I want relaxed clothes,' said Quant, 'suited to the actions of normal life'.

With Quant's husband Alexander Plunkett Greene and friend Archie McNair providing the business backup, the venture was profitable, though it appeared chaotic. Some of the goods were sourced from art students, or made up overnight, and the mini shift dress soon became Quant's trademark.
vam.ac.uk

Quote:
1967 Bonded wool and nylon jersey.

Mary Quant began to design clothes for Bazaar, her shop in the King's Road, London, in 1957. She swiftly moved into wholesale production with her Ginger Group garments, which had an easy fitting, informal styling. This is an excellent example of a Ginger Group mini-dress. A similar jersey dress was illustrated in Honey (March 1967) and cost 8 1/2 guineas. This and similar dresses in the collection would have been worn with dense black or white tights (Mary Quant designed her first tights in 1965), and big-brimmed felt hats or berets in matching Ginger Group colours.

This dress forms part of the Cecil Beaton Collection, brought together by the society photographer Sir Cecil Beaton (1904-1980). With great energy and determination, Beaton contacted the well-dressed elite of Europe and North America to help create this lasting monument to the art of dress. The Collection was exhibited in 1971, accompanied by a catalogue that detailed its enormous range.

vam.ac.uk

Last edited by SomethingElse; 15-07-2007 at 07:42 PM.
15-07-2007

Quote:
1960 "Peachy". Wool.

Now one of the earliest works by Mary Quant in the V&A's collection, this shift illustrates how she broke with convention and made clothes specifically for young customers. Its donor identified the work ("my scarlet runner") as "a seminal dress at the beginning of a new and still, to me, exciting decade". Until the beginning of the 1960s youth quake, daughters had no alternative but to dress like their mothers. In tune with the times, Mary Quant offered them identities of their own with styles such as this vivid red shift with youthful appeal.

vam.ac.uk

Last edited by SomethingElse; 15-07-2007 at 07:45 PM.
15-07-2007

Quote:
1967 Yellow plastic, injection-moulded, cotton jersey lining.

Plastic was one of the new hot materials for 1960s clothing. These boots were produced for Mary Quant's footwear range, "Quant Afoot", introduced in 1967. Plastic was often dyed in attention grabbing artificial colours, though these are clear plastic over a coloured lining which shows through. They resemble the Chelsea boots with square heels and toes worn by the Beatles during the mid-sixties. The heels bear Mary Quant's signature daisy motif. The wearer would leave a trail of daisy footprints behind her after walking through a puddle.

Quote:
1967 - 68 Machine-sewn crêpe.

This evening mini-dress in black crepe was designed by Mary Quant for her Ginger Group collections in 1967-1968. Mary Quant was world-famous for championing the mini-skirt, and in the 1960s her name became associated with the predominantly black Chelsea look, with its beatnik overtones.

vam.ac.uk

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1960s, mary, quant