How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-01-2008
front row

Thanks iluvjeisa,I thought the same as you about contrast when I posted.
Sorry, I did not kept the magazine. You are probably right..end of the 80's.
The beautiful B&W one you posted is on the well known "femme fatale" side of Mugler.

Another one from the same éditorial above by photographer Bill King ( the thread you started)
"Long very shouldered jacket, resting on waist, in Bianchini Férier viscose gabardine, with scarf collar draped and tied under the breast, pants in Bianchini Férier viscose gabardine. Thierry Mugler’s shoes for Linéa."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thierry_mugler_jacket01.jpg (427.4 KB, 26 views)

08-06-2008
barcode

A few days ago I went to The Met to see the Costume Institute exhibit and there's a pretty great selection of Mugler's couture pieces on display. Here are some of the pieces they have.

models.com, staylace.com, style.com

I have to say, his clothes are some of the most painful, brutal looking things I've ever seen that are meant to be worn....that robot suit of armor is really made out of metal, not metallic plastic.

But the "Chimere" dress (the one that looks like a dragon/reptile) is amazing in person. The embroidery is just incredible.

09-06-2008
tfs star

Thanks for posting the above images, Spike..Actually, if there were any reason for me to go to the Superheroes exhibit, the first 2 pieces in your post would definitely be it (the black leather piece & multi-colored "insect" dress w/ attached headpiece..is that the "chimere" piece youre referring to?)..Those 2 are definitely my favorite Mugler pieces, and Id love to see it up close & personal..

On another note, I read here that somebody else is presenting a couture collection for Mugler in the coming weeks, based on his previous works..I cant help but wonder what it'll look like, ie: will the new Mugler look really work in todays fashion climate? Will it make a difference that another designer is designing it? Will it have the same effect as it did back then? Eh, all silly questions I guess..I guess I'll have to wait til then..

09-06-2008
barcode

Yes, that scaly reptilian insect dress was called the Chimere dress, named after the Chimera in Greek mythology I'm assuming.

It's absolutely amazing in person, truly a work of art. You can't even tell from a lot of the images of it, but most of the "scales" are embroidered with glass stones, and under the exhibit lights it actually sparkled. You can actually see a sliver of it in the picture of the black leather insect dress.

Here's a video clip with that dress in motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2YX14ZxpgQ

09-06-2008
tfs star

Thanks for the YouTube clip, Spike..probably the BEST couture piece Ive ever seen..The (obvious) high level of craftsmanship, plus the sense of fantasy: that, to me, is what the haute couture is about..

Anywhoo..in recent times, he's done costumes for a Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas..Anybody have any pictures? I know Paper Magazine (blah..) did an edit on it years ago, but I havent seen anything since..

09-06-2008
Looking Up

The Chimera dress is a MASTERPIECE. I have seen nothing like it. And the showcasing of it was genius. The music, the runway, the lighting, the model. It's so perfect. Who is the model btw? If anybody knows?

09-06-2008
V.I.P.

I wish someone would've worn vintage Mugler for the CI gala at the Met but apparently people aren't that fearless.

barcode

^ Caroline Trentini did actually. It wasn't one of his completely ridiculous show pieces, but it was pure Mugler.

style.com

I don't think it's so much being afraid of looking ridiculous as it is that a lot of his couture pieces look like the most uncomfortable thing you could possibly have on, so I'm guessing that there must be some truth to it.

09-06-2008
V.I.P.

Well almost all the dresses I saw were pretty boring and seemed to have nothing to do with superheroes, so I doubt comfort played a huge role. Either way, I'd love to see more people take risks and go OTT like Mugler. How many more pretty dresses does the world need? I'm really curious to see what this new couture collection will look like.

flaunt the imperfection..

does anyone know if that info on the homepage is correct?
it didn't provide a source and it was very vague...
did say really that mugler was coming back to couture..
it said that teh BRAND was...
with a NEW design director (who used to be at Paco Rabanne btw but was fired when they hired Patrick Robinson)
what is Mugler doing exactly?

he doesn't even own the company anymore- clarins (the cosmetics giant) owns it...

that article was confusing to me...

10-06-2008
Looking Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
^ Caroline Trentini did actually. It wasn't one of his completely ridiculous show pieces, but it was pure Mugler.

style.com

I don't think it's so much being afraid of looking ridiculous as it is that a lot of his couture pieces look like the most uncomfortable thing you could possibly have on, so I'm guessing that there must be some truth to it.
The most uncomfortable pieces are always the best looking lol

I liked Caroline in that dress. She looked good, but it was her stupid looking makeup that let her down.

10-06-2008
Looking Up

By the way does anoyone have Caroline's dress from a runway or on a model or something?

10-06-2008
Storm & Sommer

Kim Cattrals character in SATC wears a lot of Mugler suits (the zig zag ones), I tried locating some.. but failed miserably..

pinterest : hanneonpin
15-06-2008
Fat Karl

I would love for him to return and revive his couture house...his point of view was SO unique...his designs were one of a kind. No one had ever done anything like him and no one has ever since. I loved the comic book vixen that all his designs embodied.

Sure, a lot of it looks dated through the lens of today, but I'd love to see how he'd work today and how his sensibility would translate for this day and age.

Looking Up

^I understand exactly what you mean. Hes just one of those people that I dont care if his looks are outdated, his fashion was that good to me.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1970s1990s, mugler, thierry