How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-06-2008
Storm & Sommer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245 View Post
..I'd love to see how he'd work today and how his sensibility would translate for this day and age.
I agree.. one thing that would be interesting to see is if his new personal fascination with bodybuilding somehow would be translated into new designs..
I find it somewhat grotesque.. I can't help but wonder what new extremes he might reach..

pinterest : hanneonpin

17-06-2008
barcode

^ I think the word grotesque is a great word to describe his work. I don't mean that in a negative way, but just the way that he treats the body, morphing it into these rigid, almost gruesome shapes as well as the way he morphs the women wearing it into these creatures that are part dominatrix, part mutant.

So in a way it's not so surprising what he's done to himself, he was always about pushing the body to new and frightening extremes.

I personally have never been the biggest fan of his stuff, mainly because I'm most familiar with his stuff from the 1990's. Now I realize his impact on the 80's and everything the fashions of that time were about, but looking at his ready to wear and couture well into the late 90's you really don't see any change from when he was in his heyday. It all looks so dated to me, because the Mugler look is so strongly identified with the 1980's. Though I must say that seeing some of his couture in person has definitely made me appreciate it from a purely aesthetic level.

17-06-2008
technicolor tweed

his couture definitely pushes the envelope. I find it unbelievable how meticulous his work is on those dresses, and it's almost magical how he is able to keep the dream-like creations a part of fashion and not costume.

18-06-2008
front row

i love mugler's designs.

here are two jackets (photos by me)
a/w 1983, plaid with exaggerated shoulders & narrow waist.

a/w 1988. i love the wavy lapel--reminds me of the wisp of smoke coming from a femme fatale's cigarette in a film noir.

18-06-2008
Looking Up

That second jacket is amazing! I love how he manages to put his imagination in fabric.

20-06-2008
Storm & Sommer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion.fashoff View Post
i
a/w 1988. i love the wavy lapel--reminds me of the wisp of smoke coming from a femme fatale's cigarette in a film noir.
That's a great description fashion.fashoff

pinterest : hanneonpin
05-08-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
The Chimera dress is a MASTERPIECE. I have seen nothing like it. And the showcasing of it was genius. The music, the runway, the lighting, the model. It's so perfect. Who is the model btw? If anybody knows?
The model is Adriana Sklenarikova.

05-08-2008
Looking Up

^Really?! Thats surprising, shes such a sex bomb, I wouldnt have expected her to be used for something like that. But thanks!

05-08-2008
scenester

^ I was surprised too, especially since she looks almost unrecognizable. But it makes sense when you think about how outrageous the dress is; they need someone with a body just as outrageous. It also has some very dark, twisted sexual undertones, so she works well with that, too. A far cry from her Wonderbra stuff, to say the least

06-08-2008
Looking Up

^ :LOL: I dont think outrageous is how Id describe that Chimera dress. Id go with vivid. Or just plain onlr brilliant.

01-09-2008
front row

Thierry Mugler
DOES ANYBODY HAS PICTURES OF OLD MUGLERSHOWS???

02-09-2008
front row

...and when you see the designs now of balenciaga,lanvin,mcqueen etc. you see where the inspiration comes from.....its a shame that thierry mugler doesnt excist anymore under the creative hand of mr. mugler himself.....lets hope that rosemary rodriguez does a good job and comes with more influential ideas as well......

06-09-2008
V.I.P.

THE SUPER UNIVERSE OF THIERRY MUGLER
text by Murray HEALY
photo by Nigel SHAFRAN, styled by Tim CLIFFTON-GREEN
from Pop, sept. 2008

- scanned by berlinrocks -
i hadn't scanned all the ed'. but all the text is here.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG743.jpg (207.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg img745 copy.JPG (216.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg img746 copy.jpg (207.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg img747 copy.JPG (442.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg img748 copy.jpg (433.3 KB, 23 views)

06-09-2008
front row

this is the worst editorial of mugler clothes i've ever seen.......

it looks sooo poor and boring...without a body the clothes look sooooo dead......

sorry POP that was a zero point edito!!!!

06-09-2008
V.I.P.

^i actually like it a lot. perhaps because i like stilleven. but also because though they are vintage, though thierry mugler dinasty is over ... it looks all the clothes are still wearable and waiting for someone to wear them. it's not about how they look on a body, and their shape ... it's about who will wear them again to make them look once again fabulous and shiny.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1970s1990s, mugler, thierry