How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-05-2005
Stitch:the Hand

Cerfas,agree wholeheartedly with what you say about the contrasts of his work. I find these sort of contradictions rather fascinating about his work. And you and I are on the same wavelength in regards to his early collections. The differences being: an emphasis on beauty...an organic & naïve sense of beauty....rather than a cultured take on non-beauty(read: post-modern). I find all these collections his most inspiring.

Contemporary Fashion Archive has all his beautiful collections from A/W 99-A/W 2000.

08-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection

i really like most of this...thanks for posting it cerfas and reminding us about it...

droogist's skirt is in post #2...!!!...

08-05-2005
fashion elite

Yes, Scott, his work has definitely lost the sense of wonder.
And thanks, I will be sure to check that out right away.
Have you seen that issue of Purple? Should I put it on my list of things-to-scan?

And softgrey, you're welcome :>
I really did want to remind people of his collections that you could actually call beautiful. There has been a lot of dislike for him lately on the Fashion Spot--and not without reason--but this also exists, and is worth consideration.

08-05-2005
fashion elite

Softgrey, do you mean a skirt that droogist owns--or one that droogist helped to make/design somehow?

08-05-2005
spoilt victorian child

^ She meant that I own. In a funny coincidence, I posted it in the "What Are You Wearing" thread the other day. Damn, now I wish I had the cardigan too...

I think this collection was definitely BW's most enchanting, and probably his most accessible. Like most people, I dislike the direction he's taken over the years. Every season his work seems to become increasingly confrontational in its anti-aestheticism; the "ugly" envelope gets pushed further and further. I suppose this ought to be interesting, but unfortunately I don't see much coherence or eloquence in the way he goes about it...it strikes me as more self-indulgent than anything else. His interview in Butt magazine was particularly revealing, specifically the part about how he tries to do something "new" every single day; in other words, new for newness' sake. Not the best design policy imo.

08-05-2005
fashion elite

Hehe, I see. I don't know I have no idea :>

09-05-2005
V.I.P.

Ha! When I saw the first picture I thought "ah, here's the collection with Droogist's skirt!"

Cerfas, if you haven't, you should look at the picture of her wearing it. Do you read that thread? I don't recall seeing you post in it before. You should.

09-05-2005
fashion elite

I haven't read that thread yet--I just posted in it now and checked out droogist's pictures. Love the socks that she's wearing under her legwarmers--very Willhelmy.

09-05-2005
backstage pass

We had a serious think about stocking Bernhard for this and next season...but well, we decided against it on the assumption that his clothes were a load of...:S

09-05-2005
fashion elite

Jhaime--what do you think about S/S 2001?

09-05-2005

jhaime,trust me when I tell you...just because of the overall style,his clothes really aren't as you poignantly described Actually the pieces alone would most likely garner loads of customs because they are easy and versatile....and hip. Alot hipper than has-been Marc Jacobs,to be honest. Plus,his stuff IS of good quality....he's great craftsman despite everything that's said of him superficially.

10-05-2005
V.I.P.

I've always thought his stuff was ugly, but I'm really looking at his complete runway looks. Seeing Droogist wearing just one piece changed my mind. It really works if you do what she did. Yay for Droogist.

10-05-2005
etre soi-meme

that's Bernhards BEST collection since then..
what a pity that he lost it completly..

actually i was in the show and the music was absolutely dreamy

Last edited by Lena; 10-05-2005 at 04:09 AM.
10-05-2005
spoilt victorian child

Aw c'mon Alex you're embarassing me

I think Scott is quite right: BW's clothes look much more attractive off the runway. I've almost always been pleasantly surprised each time I've seen his collections in stores. Head-to-toe BW may look pretty scary, but when you start to look at the individual pieces, you find a lot of desireable things.

10-05-2005

And you have to remember too,designers never put every single piece they make on the catwalk....so indeed,alot of times one gets surprised with Bernhard.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2001, bernhard, s or s, willhelm