How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-01-2008
tfs star

I once made a thread with John´s first collections for Dior, called Galliano´s early days at Dior, but I cannot find it, anyways, great to see those collections, they look oddly refreshing and inspiring, I will love to watch all of those full shows!

Maybe one day

Madeleine Vionnet.

06-01-2008
trendsetter

On closer review I completly see why the critics didnt seem to like the Dior Haute Couture FW 98 collection some of those Indian pieces are full on costume's But I would have love to see the production they put on.

06-01-2008
trendsetter

But then again he still does this today and its works hmmmm.....?

07-01-2008
barcode

As much as I dislike the actual collection, the details are undoubtably amazing. I know that the ateliers used aged berries and vegitables to dye some of the pieces and threads for the embroideries (I'm not sure which exactly, but I believe it's those Native American "blanket" coats). Then there's the authentic looking "slashing" on those suede and leather bustiers, it's gorgeous.

Still, that collection was definitely a case of the story overwhelming the design.

07-01-2008
Wanderlust

I believe that 2004 and back were the best years! John Galliano needs to return to form!

07-01-2008
Fat Karl

^^2004 and prior were really were he did some of his most amazing work...granted, there are several collections post-2004 that I adore (HC SS 05, HC FW 05, for example), but that's definitely true, Sal, he needs to bring Dior back to what it was several years ago...exciting fashion. Period. Not that he should do exactly the same stuff all over again, Dior has just seemed to have lost its excitement that used to be so tangible, even simply by looking at the photos, let alone actually watching the video (I think two major factors of this are Jeremy's now boring remixes and not showing the collections on a mirrored runway anymore). Now it's just boring (at least the RTW is. His couture is still pretty good, SS 07 was beautiful, but FW 07 wasn't my fav.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
As much as I dislike the actual collection, the details are undoubtably amazing. I know that the ateliers used aged berries and vegitables to dye some of the pieces and threads for the embroideries (I'm not sure which exactly, but I believe it's those Native American "blanket" coats). Then there's the authentic looking "slashing" on those suede and leather bustiers, it's gorgeous.

Still, that collection was definitely a case of the story overwhelming the design.
I agree...I love the show...I don't love all the outfits. The more Native American looks are pure costume, and they aren't my favorite, but the more Elizabethan looks are so gorgeous, they make up for everything else, in my opinion...I guess I just have a weakness for slashed leather...and John did it so well there!

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 07-01-2008 at 05:40 PM.
08-01-2008
Wanderlust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245 View Post
....Dior has just seemed to have lost its excitement that used to be so tangible, even simply by looking at the photos, let alone actually watching the video (I think two major factors of this are Jeremy's now boring remixes and not showing the collections on a mirrored runway anymore).
I swear...we need to convince John to return the mirrored runway and then loosen Jeremy up again.

08-01-2008
barcode

Yet another depressing reminder of what used to be, thanks to Mr Dale

Dior f/w 97 RTW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmFAzFYxSFA

Dior f/w 97 HC (too bad the morons at ftv decided to be artistic and blur it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tjqUpT9Fdc

08-01-2008
Fat Karl

^^Thanks so much for those!

Here's another dress from Dior Haute Couture SS 98 (the opera collection) that I had always seen and remembered but hadn't seemed to realize it was from the opera collection until now! It's really a masterpiece!

(metmuseum)

trendsetter

^ omg
*dies*
that's the most beautiful thing i've ever seen

Fat Karl

^^It's just genius! I could stare at it all day long...so extravagant and romantic!

Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThemEatCake View Post
Thanks for the photos! Who is the model that is in the train window with Naomi?
It's Hedvig Marie Maigre

And even though I loved the mirrored runway, I would rather have him return to the pre-2000 runways...the models were full of drama and worked their butts of...now THAT was exciting fashion!

ETA: omg at the opera dress...

twitter.com/ErikP87

Last edited by Mr-Dale; 08-01-2008 at 06:13 PM.
08-01-2008
trendsetter

Dear future husband... I would very much like my Dior wedding dress to be made just like this one
Love Me

Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Dale View Post
And even though I loved the mirrored runway, I would rather have him return to the pre-2000 runways...the models were full of drama and worked their butts of...now THAT was exciting fashion!
I love the mise en scenes so much! But I feel that that kind of runway works more for John Galliano's signature collection and the mirrored runway works more for Dior Couture and RTW.

barcode

That black gown from the opera collection is really amazing in person, the skirt is huge. I saw it back in 2006 at the Met's "Anglomania" exhibit, the whole scene they created with it was incredible.

metmuseum.org

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
christian, days, dior, early, galliano, john