How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-08-2005
front row

The Pucci uniform is brilliant. I'd wear it.

22-10-2006
earthbound

Bump.

We should rename this thread to Airlines' Uniforms... I'd really like to show one from the sixties made by Cristobal Balenciaga!

22-10-2006
earthbound

There are weird things all around it because I used it in a collage.
It's from an Elle Canada from last summer, I'm sorry I don't remember from which month because I threw it away.

Here it is.

22-10-2006
fashion elite

Nice picture la bordélique.

I like the concept of designer-uniforms...it's nice to have something fashionable to look at when you fly...

22-10-2006
chaos reigns

Hum ... I have some pics of flight attendants -for Southwest, I think- from the 60's ... very go-go!

Storm & Sommer

borjacappella and bubbles1234 please credit your pictures or they will have to be removed..

I know there are other pictures in this thread that do not have credits, but they were posted before the crediting rule was enforced.

pinterest : hanneonpin
23-10-2006

not completely related, but this is a very nice article by the beloved mr. mickey: "i love a parade"

http://www.papermag.com/?section=article&parid=264

23-10-2006
V.I.P.

Pierre Balmain designed the uniforms for Singapore Airlines in the '60s. I can't find pictures of the originals, but the modern uniforms remain true to the style of sarong he adapted:

Quote:

2000: Singapore Airlines knows better than to tinker with a formula that works: the company hasn't changed its flight attendant uniform in more than three decades. The airline is known for (and shamelessly plugs) its beautiful, sarong-clad "Singapore Girls." The trademark "Sarong Kebaya" was first whipped up by French designer Pierre Balmain
time.com

I also hit a goldmine upon finding the picture above, in the form of Time magazine's 100 Years of Flight feature. Here were the others in the gallery, with their captions:

Quote:

1940s: With the world at war, airline uniforms had a decidedly military bearing. But crisp pleats and good posture weren't enough: warm smiles were also considered part of the job. Chicago & Southern's flight attendants were trained to reflect the hospitality of their airline's southern roots

1965: Emilio Pucci creates the "Gemini 4" line for Braniff Air. The uniforms feature astronaut-like bubble helmets, which, according to flight attendants, were "very difficult to hear in." They did, however, provide complete hair protection on windy days

1968: United Airlines introduces an A-line dress for its stewardesses — a marked departure from the ubiquitous skirt-suit that ruled the more conservative airlines for 30 years

1970s: Southwest Airlines experiences a dramatic jump in ticket sales when its flight attendants start wearing white go-go boots and hot pants. The airline adopts a new motto to match ("Sex sells seats") and begins serving in-flight drinks with names like Passion Punch and Love Potion. Not to be outdone, TWA follows suit in 1971, sending its attendants into the air wearing Valentino-designed hot pants

1970s: Same decade, different direction. Designer Mary Quant gives Court Line Aviation flight attendants the radical option of covering their legs. In addition to long pants, Quant's line includes double-breasted overcoats and aprons for prepping meals
time.com

front row

^That bubble astronaut helmet is SO SO ridiculous....for windy days?? And the Valentino hotpants with GO-GO boots....wow...that's like hooters in the air.

23-10-2006
chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_jealous
^That bubble astronaut helmet is SO SO ridiculous....for windy days?? And the Valentino hotpants with GO-GO boots....wow...that's like hooters in the air.
Actually ... I quite like both :p
-tho the hotpants on the pic, I think theyre not Valentino- ...

V.I.P.

Both Christian Dior and Calvin Klein have designed uniforms for Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS).

24-10-2006
V.I.P.

I love the hotpants, though I do find it to be very degrading. I adore the Pucci bubble, it's so insane, you just have to appreciate it.

24-10-2006
fashion icon

the pucci uniforms were so adorable! i could wear them

i really like mary quant's uniforms...nothing overt like the hot pants and go-go s..i think the hotpants are just a little ridculous

24-10-2006
V.I.P.

I'd rather wear something like this than the normal uniforms (if I'd work in the indrusty, that is).

tfs star

I know this is a little off topic but someone said HOOTERS in the air and there was actually a HOOTERS airlines for a while some years ago.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
attendant, flight, uniforms