How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-04-2005
trendsetter

Flight Attendant Uniforms : Then and Now
Fréquence Plus newsletter (47)

A New Uniform

"During April 2005 36,000 men and women at Air France will don the new Company uniform created by Christian Lacroix, all the same day.

The new wardrobe is both elegant and functional and comprises a total of one hundred numbers. It's chic, classic, timeless and modern, the keys to the new Air France elegance.

For the first time in the history of the Company, men's and women's uniforms were designed simultaneously, to ensure the common spirit and clear identity that make a uniform effective. The new look reflects Air France's desire for its personnel to appear and behave in accordance with its passangers' expectations and needs."

www.style.com

Something in the Air
Christian Lacroix Launches Uniforms for Air France

April 13, 2005 – With Richard Tyler designing for Delta and Kate Spade for Song, airline uniforms are making fashion headlines. But no in-flight ensembles have generated more buzz than those Christian Lacroix recently created for Air France. The uniforms have even captured the attention of Colette, Paris's retail bastion of all things hip, which will devote its rue Saint-Honoré windows to Lacroix's airborne outfits for two weeks. The shop plans to sell Air France dolls, pins, and candles (hardly cabin-approved items, even in France) indefinitely.

Lacroix's approach to the high-flying project was decidedly pragmatic (except, maybe, his sky-blue organza scarves for female flight attendants). "A uniform is nothing more, nothing less than a work tool. It has to be practical and easy to care for," he said. Prestige and Parisian chic, however, also play a role: Air France has a history of working with big-name talent. Until Lacroix introduced his looks last week, the carrier's 36,000 employees wore clothes fashioned in 1987 by Nina Ricci, Carven, and Louis Féraud. Now, they can choose between 60 interchangeable apparel and accessories options, from a navy dress cinched at the waist with a dashing red bow to a slim pantsuit with a long, elegant jacket.

The Air France wardrobe is but one among many extracurricular projects for Lacroix. The designer really let his exuberant, whimsical style fly to decorate guest rooms at the Hotel du Petit Moulin, which opened in January in Paris's popular Marais district. He's also working on interiors for the TGVs, France's high-speed trains, and French cinema giant UGC has tapped him to rethink the décor of multiplexes throughout the country.

"What interests me is to be able to be act on the environment, on the urban landscape, and in daily life, which touches everyone," Lacroix said. "When one is not satisfied by the world in which you live, then you try to rebuild it to your wishes." Prepare yourself for a lot more organza.

–Katie Weisman

29-04-2005
V.I.P.

That's cute but nothing will beat the Pucci airline uniforms, those were so cool in thier pointlessness. A airline company should make a line of Pucci airplanes with a Pucci print on the outside, that would be soo cool.

Im glad LaCroix isn't going poor, although I dont think he's very talented.

Last edited by Diorling; 29-04-2005 at 02:51 PM.
29-04-2005
V.I.P.

They're alright. ^ Do you have a pic of the Pucci uniforms?

29-04-2005
fashion insider

Anyone could ahve designed that...

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo21
agreed.... ...

but maybe the insides of the uniforms are lined in pucci-print silk...

29-04-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo21
well it's a uniform! :p
from what i gather..it wasnt about being innovative but just having a well-known french designer doing their little french-looking uniforms..

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinuviel
They're alright. ^ Do you have a pic of the Pucci uniforms?
Pucci actually did several lines for Braniff Air, they were all fantastic.

I can't find many more pictures. But appearantly this Braniff Air was a high-fashion airline featuring brightly colored and themed planes, probably Pucci planes like I was thinking.

Last edited by Hanne; 23-10-2006 at 12:44 PM. Reason: please see tfs guidelines - Image size/Page format
29-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

wow!!...colette windows!!...
that's pretty cool for an airline uniform...
thanks for the thread and the pics ella...

the uniforms are pretty basic..but nice enough...

diorling...that link and those pucci uniforms are beyond cool!!....
thanks for sharing that..!!...

29-04-2005

the puccis are hot... agree with everyone saying anyone could have designed that, not even the scarf bears a little resemblance to typical lacroix

17-08-2005
windowshopping

The Lacroix uniforms are very elegant but I agree that they don't look anything out of the ordinary.

V.I.P.

I like them, they look so elegant on the models in the pic but in real life they dont look as fab.
I love the middle eastern airline .. i forget the name .. but they were haram pants and a tall pointy hat ... so ellegant imo. :p

17-08-2005
trendsetter

lol that's awesome/

17-08-2005
V.I.P.

That is sooooooo cool!

17-08-2005
fashion elite

awesome thread
the aesthetics of air travel have always fascinated me

18-08-2005
backstage pass

The Pucci uniform is great! Anything is better than what Air France was wearing!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
attendant, flight, uniforms