How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-04-2005
V.I.P.

i love that collection.

28-04-2005
a dim capacity for wings

wonderful.

maybe the table did overshadow the clothes but i still liked this as a whole, including the table. i love chalayan for these kind of things, too.
there was a wonderful statement about chalayan made by droogist in another thread ...i'm just too tired to write in english today

28-04-2005
Swim Upstream

aaaw anna but its good to hear what you say!

28-04-2005
a dim capacity for wings

thank you dear

29-04-2005
spoilt victorian child

Oh, thank you anna karina, I'm very flattered Do you mean the blurb I wrote in the S/S 2004 thread? (Don't worry, I won't stoop to quoting myself )

As for this collection, I don't think I'll say much, because it would be all deranged fanatical babble like "blah blah blah genious blah blah best collection ever blah blah Chalayan=god blah" and no one really needs to hear that.

29-04-2005
spoilt victorian child

This is text from the catalog of the Chalayan exhibibt at the Groninger Museum, it might give people a better idea of what's going on than the pictures alone:
Quote:
At the time that alarming pictures from Kosovo were flooding the world, Chalayan showed his Afterwords collection, which focused on having to flee one's home in times of war. To Chalayan, born in the Turkish part of Cyprus, these current events referred to his own past, the time of the conflict between the Turkish and Greek populations in Cyprus. The subsequent Turkish intervention resulted in a division of the island in 1974.

Chalayan linked the refugee theme to the idea of hiding and camouflaging valuable possessions or carrying them along in flight. The show was presented in a stark, white setting with chairs and a round 1950s-style coffee table. Behind this set, viewers could vaguely see a Bulgarian female choir through a semi-transparent screen. Their singing was penetrating and the choir was clearly visible on a monitor in the 'living room.'

After the appearance of an average family, consisting of a father, mother, grandmother and children, a strange transformation took place at the end of the show. Models dressed in simple underslips removed the covers from the chairs and wore them as dresses. The chairs themselves folded up and became suitcases and the coffee table was turned into a skirt, with the result that eventually the room remained behind empty and lifeless.

29-04-2005
a dim capacity for wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by droogist
Oh, thank you anna karina, I'm very flattered Do you mean the blurb I wrote in the S/S 2004 thread? (Don't worry, I won't stoop to quoting myself )

As for this collection, I don't think I'll say much, because it would be all deranged fanatical babble like "blah blah blah genious blah blah best collection ever blah blah Chalayan=god blah" and no one really needs to hear that.

yes, that was what i was referring to.

17-10-2005
daisy in my lazy eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by droogist
This is text from the catalog of the Chalayan exhibibt at the Groninger Museum, it might give people a better idea of what's going on than the pictures alone:
He is the absolute master of genius constructions and symbolisation This show should be performed again, I have to see how it works in practice.

Thanks for the read.

17-10-2005
rui
front row

one of the best collections fashion has ever seen!!!! down right shocking !!!!!! amazing!!!!!

17-02-2006
a dim capacity for wings

does anyone possibly know if there's a video of the afterwords collection available online?

thanks

17-02-2006
front row

joining the chorus here...totally agree with rui..this is the timeless factor missing in his menswear for some reason. my teacher couldnt stop going on about that cofeetable and how it gives her goosebumps(int he really good way).. downright shock genius.. but my only doubt is about that cofeetables practicality..wouldnt that be heavy? and since its to do with refugees i presume it better be light..otherwise i think we would have some serious problems... still crazy tho..i loved this collection

Last edited by new_dawn_fades; 17-02-2006 at 05:08 PM.
17-02-2006
scenester

I'd love to see a video of this. Brilliant concept.

17-02-2006
flaunt the imperfection..

dude...
i would SO wear that table skirt...
i don't find it gimmick-y at all...
i find it brilliant...

which makes it only more depressing to see the stuff he is doing these days...

***will the REAL hussein chalayan please stand up!!!....
i want him BACK!!!...now!!!

17-02-2006
V.I.P.

This is a really nice collection..too bad im just now seeing it LOL!

17-02-2006
backstage pass

I saw Devon Aoki in some of the pictures......she's awesome!!!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2000, chalayan, f or w, hussein, london