How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / History of Style : a remembrance of things past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-08-2010
V.I.P.

Bretagne

eponitour.com

08-08-2010
V.I.P.

Macedonia, 1912

makedonika.wordpress|

08-08-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post

this is taken summer 1913, Ulan Bator, Mongolia

mongolian noblewoman
boston.com |
Love the Mongolian tribal pics, especially the hair. it's why I love the costumes from Last Emperor (the movie about the last Chinese emperor, not the Valentino movie).

08-08-2010
V.I.P.

Claddagh, Galway

Quote:
|....| these were taken in Galway, ....of people in the Claddagh, and while they are posed, they are important documents of social history. The first of our pictures today was of a young Claddagh woman wearing "A unique specimen of a very beautiful costume which already has not been worn for several years. The women abandoned it because it was very heavy and they don't want to hear about it anymore. The young girl who posed for this photo was considered in Galway as one of the most perfect girls from "The Irish Colleen". She is wearing a beautiful red cloak under which is a patterned Paisley print wraparound possibly made from cashmere. Indeed, some old Claddagh women used to refer to this garment as "Me Cashmere". She is also wearing a red flannel petticoat over which is a rough apron known as a "Praiscin" which protected the petticoat when the women were working or carrying baskets of fish. The second photograph is of 2 Claddagh women dressed in beautifully patterned fringed shawls. The lady on the left is wearing a red crochet shawl underneath, the one on the right has a "Shawleen" made out of a very soft material under her main shawl. They are both wearing working aprons made from check material. They were selling fish.
The lady in our third picture is probably wearing the same costume as the first.

kennys.ie |

09-08-2010
V.I.P.

A larger picture of one of #136

described as Bigouden in bridegroom costume
29 February 1920

hotels-paris-rive-gauche |

12-08-2010
V.I.P.

I watched the Grudge last night and during the exorcism there was this costume. Never seen it before like this, if it's a kimono. In Japan there are women called 'miko' at the temples, though wearing mostly red+white with occas gold ornament

There is also writing on the back of the costume

imdb & caps by me
theGrudge3

Last edited by gius; 12-08-2010 at 02:45 PM.
12-08-2010
V.I.P.

The editing function is annoying I can't get in fast enough.. Anyway^ just want to add that not only red+white but also the 'jacket' not full-length as opposed to here and worn with what seems to be a kind of trouser (Sailor Mars anyone? ). Also here is more of the writing on the back. So it is quite different.. I'm going to ask around if the costume is 'real' but if anyone here knows.. ^^

caps by me|

Last edited by gius; 12-08-2010 at 03:04 PM.
12-08-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
..during the exorcism there was this costume. Never seen it before like this, if it's a kimono |....|
Meant to say 'japanese costume' ,not kimono

Miko -

the red is called 'hakama'
their cassock, a chihaya
Quote:
miko

A general term for a woman possessing the magico-religious power to receive oracles (takusen) from the kami in a state of spirit possession (kamigakari). Nowadays the term generally refers to a woman who assists shrine priests in ritual or clerical work. The word may be written with various characters (巫女、神子、巫子). Among miko there is a significant distinction between those female priests who have historically been attached to a shrine and those who are separate from shrines and either are settled in a village or travel the countryside as magical kitōshi (see kitō). Under the ritsuryō system, in the Jingikan female priests were called mikannagi, while they were called mikanko in the Shoku Nihongi. In the Wakun no shiori, miko is described as the general term, while female norito performers are referred to as mikanko, and it further explains that miko can be written with different characters. The etymology of the word is unclear, but it may be an abbreviated expression of kamiko, the substance (monozane) in or upon which the kami manifests itself. It can also be thought of as a transformation of the honorific term miko (御子), indicating spiritual power and high birth.
In the past, a variety of related positions were found at different shrines: miyanome at Ōmiwasha, sōnoichi at Atsuta Jingū, itsukiko at Matsuno'o Taisha, monoimi at Kashima Jingū, naishi at Itsukushima Jinja, waka at Shiogama Jinja, and nyobettō at Ideha Jinja (Hagurosan). In ancient times miko acted as ritualists for the kami who possessed magical capabilities, as in the examples of Amenouzume no mikoto, Yamato totohi momoso hime no mikoto, Yamato hime no mikoto, and Empress Jingū. Eventually, however, male kannushi, hafuri, and negi took their place, and miko came to be placed in roles assisting these male ritualists, according to one theory. Peregrinating and settled miko may be seen historically nationwide, performing magic and kitō (invocations of divine power) or transmitting the words of the dead. These unaffiliated miko exerted a great influence on folk religion and the verbal arts. Such women who serve miko-like functions may still be observed in some areas, and women performing similar functions may also be found in Shinto-derived new religions.

— Nishimuta Takao
eos.kokugakuin.ac.jp
wikipedia for image|

20-08-2010
V.I.P.

color photos of fashion from russia from more than 100 years ago

this is an extraordinary collection of color photographs taken between 1909 and 1912. In those years, photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863-1944) undertook a photographic survey of the Russian Empire with the support of Tsar Nicholas II. He used a specialized camera to capture three black and white images in fairly quick succession, using red, green and blue filters, allowing them to later be recombined and projected with filtered lanterns to show near true color images. The high quality of the images, combined with the bright colors, make it difficult for viewers to believe that they are looking 100 years back in time - when these photographs were taken, neither the Russian Revolution nor World War I had yet begun. Collected here are a few of the hundreds of color images made available by the Library of Congress, which purchased the original glass plates back in 1948 (boston.com)

V.I.P.

continued (boston.com)

fashion icon

^Whoa! This is so neat... I've never seen anything like these photographs (100 years!!!). The colors are so crisp and beautiful, plus the clothes are stunning as well. Thanks for sharing this with us Lucy92!

31-08-2010
windowshopping

^ That's amazing - I can't get over how true to life the colours are. Prokudin-Gorskii must have gone through several arduous procedures to get that one just right!

31-08-2010
V.I.P.

I agree, it must be labour intensive or else the technology would have been made the norm back then... Or maybe even, perhaps it was kept a trade secret. After all the art history classes I've been in, this is the first time I've heard of t his. I love that although it's so clear, there is still something 'old' in the tone of the picture. Can't quite put my finger on what it is. The colours go so well together like some types of polaroid. Thanks for the photos, lucy!

22-09-2010
backstage pass

The Dirndl
I am still surprised that there was no post about the german traditional dress, the dirndl (wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirndl). there are some threads about traditional clothing in general.

so here i am presenting the dirndl, as a piece of tradition, culture and couture. the dirndl is very popular in germany and mainly in bavaria. it's not only worn for the oktoberfest but most dirndl designers show there new collections shortly before oktoberfest.

i am a huge fan of the dirndl, because it's a beautiful, feminine way to dress. and i like the traditional aspect of it... every year in september i am gathering all current dirndl collections to publish in my dirndl fashion guide and i want to show you this years favorites:

Anina W.

Lola Paltinger

Schmitt & Schäfer

Sportalm

backstage pass

Jeans Dirndl by Bogner

Gott sei Dank

Lena Hoschek

you can read my entire dirndl fashion guide 2010:
http://nay-k.de/creative/?p=2184

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags