How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes / Sneakers/Trainers
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-09-2011
Ère de ℳodernité

Ashley & Mary Kate Olsen Appointed Creative Heads of Superga
There's a WWD.COM article for it, but I don't have access to it.

Quote:
They’re always looking for new ways to expand their horizons, and Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsenrecently inked a deal as creative directors of Superga, an Italian sneaker label.

According to a report, the “Full House” hotties/high-end designers made quite an impression on the Steve Madden Ltd execs, who own the licensing rights to Superga in North America.

Of the arrangement, honcho Steve Madden told press, “We do a lot of business with Mary Kate and Ashley. They’ve become friends.”

Ashley added, “We were at a meeting with Steve, and we were wearing Supergas — two years later, it kind of fell into our lap. I really don’t think there’s anything like this brand. It’s a tennis-shoe brand with 100 years under its belt.”

And Mary Kate explained, “Superga is really a luxurious brand. We are really hoping to bring it back to its roots. We’re just concentrating on our brand and Superga for the time being.”

- GOSSIPCENTER.COM

12-09-2011
tailored

Quote:
Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have expanded their fashion empire yet again.

Steve Madden Ltd., which inked a deal in February with BasicNet SpA for the exclusive North American license of Italian sneaker brand Superga, has tapped the Olsens as creative directors.

“We do a lot of business with Mary-Kate and Ashley. They’ve become friends,” said creative and design chief Steve Madden, explaining that it was the Olsens who first approached him about doing something with the heritage athletic brand.

“We were at a meeting with Steve, and we were wearing Supergas — two years later, it kind of fell into our lap,” Ashley Olsen told WWD. “I really don’t think there’s anything like this brand. It’s a tennis-shoe brand with 100 years under its belt.”

Superga, whose North American license was previously owned by R.G. Barry Corp., said its sales were just under $5 million last year. With the help of the Olsens, Steve Madden plans to quadruple that sum in the next 24 months. The licensing deal lasts three years and is renewable for four additional years.

According to Franco Spalla, chief executive officer of BasicNet, Superga’s parent company, the collaboration with the Olsens will allow the company to “better meet the tastes of the American customers.”

Indeed, as creative directors, the Olsens will not only use their clout as celebrities, but also as successful designers of luxe brand The Row and contemporary sportswear collection Elizabeth and James.

Within the last two years, the Olsens have broadened their reach, expanding into eyewear, as well as shoes for Elizabeth and James courtesy of a licensing deal with Steve Madden.

For Superga, the Olsens will launch an upscale spring 2012 sneaker collection that will be co-branded with The Row and will be available in stores where The Row’s clothing and accessories are sold.

Beyond this collaboration, the designers will develop all creative and marketing initiatives for Superga, as well as oversee retail lines of distribution. Currently, the sisters are aiming to get Superga in high-end department stores and specialty footwear boutiques at a price point of between $60 and $150.

“At first, Superga just needs to start off in the right stores and be on the right people’s feet,” said Ashley Olsen. “We look at a million opportunities a day; it’s very personal for us.”

That may be true, but the girls were adamant that there were no plans in the works to either expand their own mini fashion empire or add apparel or new accessories offerings to Superga’s collection.

“Superga is really a luxurious brand. We are really hoping to bring it back to its roots,” added Mary-Kate Olsen. “We’re just concentrating on our brand and Superga for the time being.”
wwd / september 12, 2011

backstage pass

looking forward to see how this goes, and the price doens't seem to be very high.

12-09-2011
Ère de ℳodernité

These girls are such crazy workaholics , not to mention savvy businesswomen. As if being in charge of The Row, Elizabeth and James, Textile Elizabeth and James, Stylemint and Olsenboye (is that still on?) wasn't enough, they're now adding Superga. They are on pretty much every segment of the market now, non? I wonder what will be next?

Quote:
For Superga, the Olsens will launch an upscale spring 2012 sneaker collection that will be co-branded with The Row and will be available in stores where The Row’s clothing and accessories are sold.
That's quite interesting.

flaunt the imperfection

an interesting development...to be sure...
i didn't even know that steve madden had bought the US rights for superga?!...

superga is a great brand...
i don't think it's going to be so difficult to make them hot and trendy again like they were in the early 90's...
keeping them hot is the trick with this kind of thing really...

though i do kind of wish they would concentrate on their own label the row...
i'm looking forward to seeing how this develops...

02-11-2011
Ère de ℳodernité

First look at the The Row x Superga...

TWITTER.COM/MEENALMISTRY

fashion elite

^ ah thanks for that! are those cashmere I wonder? I used to have a wool mix pair before...absolutely love the colour and the detailing..the gold hoops etc. I wonder if there will be any way of buying them across the pond in Europe? I don't think so though, think the collaboration is just going to translate into the US market...

Ère de ℳodernité

^I suppose they're made of cashmere, yes. I really want the beige/sand-ish pair. I hope we'll find a way to have them shipped to Europe.

flaunt the imperfection

I think Barneys is going to start carrying superga now...
so crazy how politics works...

02-12-2011
V.I.P.

i saw them in tj maxx the other day.

15-03-2012
V.I.P.

so here they are at Colette..made of linen and cashmere, price 175 euro
http://www.colette.fr/#/eshop/articl...w-sneakers/90/

V.I.P.

the row versions are now for sale at barneys online in cashmere...and they are dreamy. also online at the row store but the grey are sold out. i got mine through barneys with gift cards total was $80! yay.

harveynichols
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Row-Superga-ss12.jpg (109.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Superga-the-Row-ss12.jpg (96.3 KB, 9 views)

31-05-2012
Ère de ℳodernité

Quote:
At the Crosby Street Hotel to celebrate Superga, Steve Madden says that the cashmere and linen styles for The Row have already sold out.
- TWITTER.COM/womensweardaily

When in doubt, wear red.

Everything these girls create always ends up sold out. It's astonishing.

Ère de ℳodernité

Taking the collaboration with The Row a step further with these pairs in python, croc and ostrich

TWITTER.COM/lapantin

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
appointed, ashley, creative, heads, kate, mary, olsen, superga