How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-05-2012
front row

As it happens the other day I went to a conference about the importance of the label.
I think, as other people said, that labels are important and we buy some product or another because of that, even unconsciously.

There's another thing that I find really curious: the "perfect price". Think if you would buy a t-shirt with some printing for 3€ or for 12€? The 3€ T-shirt is exactly the same but most people would prefer to buy the other one. I would buy the 12€ T-shirt. Something inside me makes me think that price is better, so the T-shirt is also better. I don't know if I explain myself (as you can imagine, English is not my mother tongue). So I think the same happens with labels.

25-05-2012
rising star

^For that particular example, I'll throw my 2 cents as I did design, print, and sell t-shirts myself. The shirt alone, say Fruit of the loom quality, costs something like 2€. What you pay for after that is the artwork, time of production - and the brand. I'm very well aware that there's a huge difference between artists & small companies like me and huge brands, but the point is that a 3 € shirt cannot be a good shirt.
I think up to 40 € is okay (depending on the material and design), but I'd never buy a shirt more expensive than that, even if it read "Miuccia's BFF".

25-05-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Agreed. "Fruit of the Loom quality" is an oxymoron.

I discovered the importance of the label this week when I found that the cleaners had ripped a label out of the back of my sweater, leaving 4 small holes and I suspect ruining the sweater ...

23-06-2012
trendsetter

I don't know, maybe I'm being dishonest with myself, but I don't think I much care if people who see me know what brand I'm wearing. I want them to think I look great, of course, but I feel just as good walking around town in a $40 polo from Gap than I do in a similar looking polo from Lanvin or something that was $300. For everyday clothes that I don't expect to keep wearing for years, a decent brand with reasonably stylish and well-constructed clothes is just as good than a more expensive counterpart that, really, is not worth it, consider it's priced several times over what the less expensive one costs. But even when I wear something that's quite expensive, I don't want the label visible, because it's distracting. And when I see people displaying their massive Chanel logo purses I think a) that's probably fake and b) what do you think you're telling the world by wearing something so inconspicuous. It just never seemed stylish to me to wear logos for the whole world to see. It seems like you're trying to make a "look at me I can afford this!" statement. I respect people more when I see them with a great bag I happen to recognize but that doesn't have LV! LV! LV! LV! plastered all over it. You know that saying about wearing clothes, not letting the clothes wear you? I think that's true in terms of labels. When you plaster a giant label on things, you become someone wearing whatever brand it is, but when you wear something subtle and great, you are someone who looks good. I hope that makes sense.

Ère de ℳodernité

For me, it's about the label for myself and not for others.

I buy things because I like how they are cut, how they fit and how they look. This being said, I must admit I am biased when it comes to dressing myself as I can openly say there are some designers whose clothes I refuse to buy (even when I like them), either because I don't like what their brand stands for or because I don't think they suit the person I am. It may be silly but it would feel like cheating on your partner, to me. Therefore, labels have some sort of impact on me and my choices.

Although, I'm not one of those who will buy anything because it is trendy or because it shows people how much you make per month. Nothing is tackier than that, and it shows how little the personality of the individual is.

Almost every single pieces I own are from a designer, but they always have some sort of anonymity to them -- with the exception of an ACNE SS11 sweater I own, but barely anyone knows Acne here; and one of those Burberry SS12 cabas. What matters is what I feel when I dress. I like to put on my favorite Hermès scarf because there is a story attached to it and the quality is more than wonderful. Having it around my neck will remind me of that story, and nothing equals the softness of it. It's a very beautiful piece; and yet barely anyone will be able to tell where it's from. That anonymity adds an important value to the product.

In the end, more people need to learn to dress for themselves and not to seek anyone's approval or attention.

trendsetter

I kind of agree with that. I'm not very wealthy, so every season I've saved up a certain amount that I have to budget. The most expensive fashion-related item I've bought was a $4,000 bag. I didn't feel guilty because I really do love it, I love the designer, it's reflective of my style, etc. That's the kind of wardrobe I hope to have. Unless I soon can afford more pieces, I just want a well-curated small collection of designer items I truly love supplemented by more disposable and affordable brands that produce clothes with good (if not amazing) fit and durability. The designer items I do buy tend to be on things like classically stylish coats/jackets, wallet, bag, scarf, ties, etc. because I know I'll use them often, they will wear well, and they wont be out of style in a few months.

Someone's at the door

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofVERSAILLES View Post
And when I see people displaying their massive Chanel logo purses I think a) that's probably fake and...
It's interesting that a lot of us come to this conclusion when we see a logo since it was all started as a way to prevent fakes in the first place. I remember reading somewhere that the reason why more fashion houses started putting their logos on their items was for protection really, since replicating the design of an item is not illegal but replicating the trademarked logo is.

24-06-2012
trendsetter

It's sad, but I see them selling fakes all over the place. I don't think it's enforced enough by local law. There's a farmer's market I go to sometimes and there are more than one "booths" selling fake merchandise with (seemingly) exact logo replicas. Of course I also see items with slightly moderated logos as well.

fashion insider

When i'm buying the designer labels of my choice, or something very expensive I'm paying for a concept, i'm not just paying for the clothes. And it's fine with me, the fact that you have a massive team just to create a certain concept that will make you dream and be inspired has to be paid. And yes i will equate that when i decide if something is worth it or not. But regardless, it is not just about the label, the materials, the cut, the fit, the attention to detail is indeed different when you are buying luxury brands, it is fair to ask if they are different enough to justify the price they are asking for, but that's where the label comes to play. A fake destroys the concept.

Last edited by Les_Sucettes; 25-06-2012 at 06:52 AM.
04-07-2012
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnModeArtiste View Post
I wish I could speak English a bit better to really express well my opinion, but all I can say it that for me, when I buy a bag, I don't buy it because it's a LV or Chanel bag or whatever, I buy it like a unique piece that I enjoy the design, material or spirit. I hate when brands put there logo all over the piece just because people want to show that they have the money to buy it ...
A few famous example:

journaldesfemmes.com
Hate that too! it´s just annoying! they dont know anything about the name of their clothes, there´s a piece of history in every single thing, and most people don´t care about that, they are just dumb, personally, i don´t care about the label, i care if that really likes me, not the label, just because what it means to me.

Last edited by Psylocke; 05-07-2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Please remove image codes when quoting a post with pictures.
04-07-2012
you soft and only

^ Why should a consumer know the history of the company before they wear/buy their clothes? Who cares if someone with a Chanel bag doesn't know the entire history of Chanel? I'm kind of just playing the devil's advocate here, but why should someone care about the history of these fashion houses in order to wear a belt or a shirt?

You don't expect someone who buys a Black & Decker toaster to know the entire company history of Black & Decker or the entire history of Apple if they buy an iPhone. Why is this level of "knowledge" required for clothes, but not other things we buy?

Last edited by blueorchid; 04-07-2012 at 11:41 PM.
04-07-2012
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
^ Why should a consumer know the history of the company before they wear/buy their clothes? Who cares if someone with a Chanel bag doesn't know the entire history of Chanel? I'm kind of just playing the devil's advocate here, but why should someone care about the history of these fashion houses before they wear their clothes?

You don't expect someone who buys a Black & Decker toaster to know the entire company history of Black & Decker or the entire history of Apple if they buy an iPhone. Why is this level of "knowledge" required for clothes, but not other things we buy?
well i think its important, well at least for me, i dont mean the whole history, the thing here its that people buy those kinds of things just because they want the be spotted wearing that, because they have money, they dont see it as an invest and Fashion should be seeing like that (in my own personal opinion)

Last edited by Excentrique; 04-07-2012 at 11:50 PM.
04-03-2013
rising star

I think im on the other end of that label thing and I must admitt its probbably as bad as the "look im wearing a label". I tend to buy stuff that I like (and can afford at the time), regardless of the label. But, if the logo is unavoidable and doesnt mess up the look butis still is present I usualy cover it in one way or another. Acrylic paint, sewing something over it or just really hoping its small enough if covering it up would ruin the design.

If I buy something that´s a bit more expensive,something that can seem like bragging (which is so rare btw...) I feel some embarrassment. Idealy for me it would be not worrying about the label/brand at all, but I must admit I do, even if its the opposite to the way label-whores worry about it.

04-03-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
^ Why should a consumer know the history of the company before they wear/buy their clothes? Who cares if someone with a Chanel bag doesn't know the entire history of Chanel? I'm kind of just playing the devil's advocate here, but why should someone care about the history of these fashion houses in order to wear a belt or a shirt?

black & decker ...

actually i wish people were buying chanel for utilitarian reasons ... 'best darn ballet shoes out there, even if they do have those funny white curves plastered on ...'

06-03-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofVERSAILLES View Post
I kind of agree with that. I'm not very wealthy, so every season I've saved up a certain amount that I have to budget. The most expensive fashion-related item I've bought was a $4,000 bag. I didn't feel guilty because I really do love it, I love the designer, it's reflective of my style, etc. That's the kind of wardrobe I hope to have. Unless I soon can afford more pieces, I just want a well-curated small collection of designer items I truly love supplemented by more disposable and affordable brands that produce clothes with good (if not amazing) fit and durability. The designer items I do buy tend to be on things like classically stylish coats/jackets, wallet, bag, scarf, ties, etc. because I know I'll use them often, they will wear well, and they wont be out of style in a few months.
This is exactly where I am in terms of building my designer wardrobe. It takes a long time because I know the style I want to reflect, I save up yearly and tirelessly sit thru fashion shows (on my iPad) and check certain items I want from the collections of my favorite design houses, and while I am so far from rich ( hair stylist) I eat breath & sleep fashion and style and its something I do for me and the love I have for it. I will not lie and say labels dont matter, of course it does, but only to me, when I get dressed for dinner with my husband, unless your in the know like us, 99% of people in the restuarant will not know Im wearing a Gucci runway dress or a Stella Mccartney dress. I know and I feel fabulous I don't want Zara or jcrew, there is nothing wrong with it, because I own some and thats my off day wears ( and old navy jeans :p) but when I get dressed up, I want to feel like a million bucks ( cause I paid it)

Last edited by high maintenance; 06-03-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
label