How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-03-2012
windowshopping

Is it all about the label?
In a recent book i read by Jess Blanchard Fashion & Graphics, she discusses how the label holds all the power, money, aspiration, sex appeal and status. Also that increasingly fashion brands are relying on the packaging and presentation rather than the product itself. It is very obvious without graphic design the brand itself would likely not be what it is today. A simple label can mean the difference between a plain white t-shirt selling for £5.99 or £59.99. So what do we think? is a well designed brand and identity what sells the product? Are people buying into this brands lifestyle and aspiration?

21-03-2012
front row

I wish I could speak English a bit better to really express well my opinion, but all I can say it that for me, when I buy a bag, I don't buy it because it's a LV or Chanel bag or whatever, I buy it like a unique piece that I enjoy the design, material or spirit. I hate when brands put there logo all over the piece just because people want to show that they have the money to buy it ...
A few famous example:
onetwostyleuk.com
I truly hate these king of things who just shout : HEY LOOK AT ME! I HAVE A D&G BELT !

journaldesfemmes.com

Last edited by EnModeArtiste; 21-03-2012 at 12:11 PM.
22-03-2012
front row

^ I don't doubt you for a second, but I think a lot of people who say this are after brands as well. They're just after a different kind of brand. Trading obvious LV logos for a "subtler" sofia coppola lv bag(which if i'm honest is a brilliant bag but way overpriced. come on. it's a leather duffle. get over yourself) or a ps1 or celine or alexander wang or whatever is the hot new thing in their circle. You don't need logos to be identifiable. Or rather, you don't need always need logos because some items are designed in such a way that anyone in the know (by that i mean anyone who reads fashion blogs) will know it's an expensive bag because the design is that obvious.

There are certain "subtle elegance" or "minimalist" or "i don't care about brands" brands out there that people buy into. APC for one. Isabel Marant is another one. JCrew is especially bad. Sure their quality is marginally better than H&M and Forever21 in that they don't use 100% acrylic for their products, but they're also charging at least 10 times the price. Their quality is really nothing to shout about. They tend to use 100% natural material, sure. But I always felt like they used the lowest quality of that material they can find (JCrew). The stuff is either thin or scratchy or doesn't hold its shape well and poorly made. Usually all of the above. But you see them mentioned over and over and over again on supposedly minimalistic and quality driven blogs all the time.

I just think there is a lot of hypocrisy going on. How buying logo products to flaunt their wealth different from blindly going after "good quality" and "understated" labels that charge even more but are neither of good quality nor understated to flaunt their "discerning taste" any different?

Last edited by xing; 22-03-2012 at 10:14 PM.
23-03-2012
rising star

Actually, it is all about the label. I tend to go for brands that are renowned for excellent quality and craftsmanship and for products that showcase the brand's logo. I have noticed the difference in customer service and all around treatment I receive from strangers when I am carrying my Dior bag and when I go sans Dior.

backstage pass

I think it goes back to what you like portraying in life. For the most part I am one of those people who eschews labels but like artiste said the items are still in some regard easily recognizable. I think the case this most easily falls under is my desire to own a Comme Des Garcon wallet. Most other things I own are very contemporary or vintage. Like shoes from Opening Ceremony or a Steve Mono bag (which in my opinion are very unknown.) The only labels I show regularly are on tees from brands like obey or stussy.

backstage pass

Oh and I feel my best when I feel like a bougie skater art punk.

rising star

Personally, I would never buy an overpriced white t-shirt by, say, Rick Owens. What's the point? I wouldn't even be able to wash it as much as I want to. So I stick with Zara tees and they are fine.

I can understand, however, wanting to buy a designer bag because its quality is good and not because of its logo. But a designer label does not always guarantee good craftsmanship. I used to own the Marc Jacobs Carter Jr but it fell apart pretty quickly, yet I have a Lamarthe tote which is brilliant and looks new even after so many years.

I can understand wanting the label but only when the product is excellent.

01-04-2012
tfs star

i can't say yes but i can't say no too, i think it depends on the people itself
i do understand people in "high society" do wear brands, thousand and thousand dollars of dress they can wear only once in public event cause media are taking picture of them and bash them if they're caught wearing the same gown twice.

personally i mostly only buy high end labels bags like chanel, balenciaga or vuitton because the quality stand and they're like an "investment" to me.
i did bought a medium price bags between 100-200$ but most of the quality are not as good and when i;m bored with them i couldn't sell it again so they ended up as a junk whereas with labels like chanel whenever i'm bored with them i can sell them again and gain some money back to buy other stuff. you can say that yeah it's still a loss cause maybe i'll lose 200-300$ maybe even more when i sell it again, what's the difference than buying a 100$ bag but i really don't as much bags if they're 1000$ than when i just buy any 100$ bags that i like

i don't buy high end labels clothing though, maybe just once every blue moon, i prefer to buy from mass product labels like zara or topshop and vintage clothings
i can justify with 2000$ bag but i can't justify with 5000$ coat as labels do tag their clothings far more expensive than bags
so maybe yeah if i'm gonna buy designer's clothing it have to be one of their statement item or i don;t mind with obvious label on it

some simple stuff are worth to buy though, like a perfect cut simple white shirt or white t-shirt i wear a lot of times, if i can wear them so many times in so many varieties then it worth the price imo. i own this 1 great plain white helmut lang t-shirt i just love to death, i wear it so many times, i can wear it in so many different outfits and it holds so much better than my 20$ zara t-shirt

02-05-2012
scenester

My philosophy has always been that brand doesn't make the style. And even if you have money, if you don't have the sense of style, that ain't gonna help you (Look at Kim Kardashian for example-It's a French point of view-, for us she's just too much). I'm not saying that you are not stylish if you wear luxury brands from head to toe, I just mean that even if you don't have all those luxury stuffs, you can always make it. It depends on how you stylise your look. French people definitely are not into show off luxury brands. We like to mix accessible price items with luxury ones. So am I.

06-05-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xing View Post
^ I don't doubt you for a second, but I think a lot of people who say this are after brands as well. They're just after a different kind of brand. Trading obvious LV logos for a "subtler" sofia coppola lv bag(which if i'm honest is a brilliant bag but way overpriced. come on. it's a leather duffle. get over yourself) or a ps1 or celine or alexander wang or whatever is the hot new thing in their circle. You don't need logos to be identifiable. Or rather, you don't need always need logos because some items are designed in such a way that anyone in the know (by that i mean anyone who reads fashion blogs) will know it's an expensive bag because the design is that obvious.

There are certain "subtle elegance" or "minimalist" or "i don't care about brands" brands out there that people buy into. APC for one. Isabel Marant is another one. JCrew is especially bad. Sure their quality is marginally better than H&M and Forever21 in that they don't use 100% acrylic for their products, but they're also charging at least 10 times the price. Their quality is really nothing to shout about. They tend to use 100% natural material, sure. But I always felt like they used the lowest quality of that material they can find (JCrew). The stuff is either thin or scratchy or doesn't hold its shape well and poorly made. Usually all of the above. But you see them mentioned over and over and over again on supposedly minimalistic and quality driven blogs all the time.

I just think there is a lot of hypocrisy going on. How buying logo products to flaunt their wealth different from blindly going after "good quality" and "understated" labels that charge even more but are neither of good quality nor understated to flaunt their "discerning taste" any different?
Hmm ... it's a theory.

I personally buy for quality and avoid recognizable logos. One reason why this approach is better is that it's more environmentally responsible.

No one in 'my circle' recognizes the 'subtle' designers I wear. When someone asks, I nearly always sidestep the question, naming the mall where I bought the item rather than the designer. My motivation is about personal aesthetic satisfaction, not what anyone else thinks.

Inevitably when trying to buy for quality, you are sometimes disappointed, but hopefully you've chosen your retailer well and can correct your 'mistake.' Everything is a learning experience.

07-05-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Hmm ... it's a theory.

I personally buy for quality and avoid recognizable logos. One reason why this approach is better is that it's more environmentally responsible.

No one in 'my circle' recognizes the 'subtle' designers I wear. When someone asks, I nearly always sidestep the question, naming the mall where I bought the item rather than the designer. My motivation is about personal aesthetic satisfaction, not what anyone else thinks.

Inevitably when trying to buy for quality, you are sometimes disappointed, but hopefully you've chosen your retailer well and can correct your 'mistake.' Everything is a learning experience.
I also try to buy things without logos that are not really recognisable and I know a couple of people who do the same when they buy high fashion. So some people obviously buy the product for the product.

But then again when you go into luxury stores there are a lot of places with people who just want the luxury bag, often Chinese, Arabian, Brazilian and Russian tourists who often tend to get pleasure out of displaying their wealth through expensive clothes/bags. And even the usual "quite labels" like Celine and Hermes have easily readable logos on their bags, so they obviously attract people who are just in for the status as well.

07-05-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejarc View Post
I also try to buy things without logos that are not really recognisable and I know a couple of people who do the same when they buy high fashion. So some people obviously buy the product for the product.
I'll be completely honest here: While I don't ever buy any designer fashion with recognizable logos on it I totally care about what brands and designers I purchase from. I'd be lying if I said I bought something "just for the product".
I would never buy anything that flaunts the logo because I tend to find such pieces automatically tacky. But for me there are several reasons I like saving up for and buying designer items. First of all it's about the fact that I spend hours and hours swooning over collections during Fashion Week that I would feel like a cheater if I then went on to buy a Zara knock off rather than the original. If I admire a designer and love their work I make it my goal to buy something from their line, as a way of showing support to the designer as well as knowing I own a piece from a collection that I loved so much. Another aspect is the trust that I have in a brand when I've purchased something from them and have been satisfied with the quality.
And I also agree with the reason fashionista-ta named about it being more environmentally responsible to choose quality over quantity.
So I guess in a way you could say that if I buy something from Balenciaga then it's both because it's fabulous and I love a particular piece but also because it's Balenciaga. Both factors make an item desirable to me. At the same time the brand can make me not want to buy an item, but when that happens it's usually for ethical reasons, like when I know a designer exploits their workers, spends $8million for props in their runway show but doesn't pay their models (Marc Jacobs/LV) or something of the like.

Last edited by Psylocke; 07-05-2012 at 05:50 AM.
07-05-2012
Power to the 99%

^ I agree that who the designer is does matter ... also agree that positive past experience can be a good predictor of future quality, and that's true for every label, not just designer. Once I've had success, I almost always go back for more (or try to--sometimes the designer or pattern maker or last changes, and there's no more of what you want).

I also like to buy from designers whom I like personally, and whose philosophy (or at least parts of it) I agree with. If I know they treat their employees well (artisanal houses), so much the better!

I have come across knockoffs of many of the designer shoes I own, but typically the design is 'dumbed down,' sometimes in what I consider a very bad way. Plus, the quality is highly unlikely to be there.

It's certainly possible to find bad quality with a designer label stuck in. But it is highly unlikely IMO to find both the aesthetic quality and the construction and durability of the best designer items (by which I mean, the cream of the crop chosen by a discerning customer) at a low price point. If you have found it, I want to know where!!

22-05-2012
front row

It can be all sbout the label, not always but sometimes. Many teenagers will buy things like Juicy Couture sweatpants that say Juicy on the bum that I personally find quite tacky.

24-05-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolaa View Post
Personally, I would never buy an overpriced white t-shirt by, say, Rick Owens. What's the point? I wouldn't even be able to wash it as much as I want to. So I stick with Zara tees and they are fine.

I can understand, however, wanting to buy a designer bag because its quality is good and not because of its logo. But a designer label does not always guarantee good craftsmanship. I used to own the Marc Jacobs Carter Jr but it fell apart pretty quickly, yet I have a Lamarthe tote which is brilliant and looks new even after so many years.

I can understand wanting the label but only when the product is excellent.
My opinion too.

One of my sisters would buy ANYTHING just because of the brand, or if she's seen it in a magazine. She also doesn't say much about a piece of clothing until she sees that "OMG it's Chloé, you bitch!".

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
label