How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-01-2011
fashion elite

It is very sad about Russh I used to love it so much and I haven't liked the last three issues at all

15-01-2011
scenester

Thank you all for the valuable information discussed/ mentioned in this thread.
We are relocating to Brisbane soon and after reading this thread, most of my
questions were answered.

** My thoughts and prayers for the people of Queensland.

fashion icon

<3 Queensland.

Australia fashion is very into the hipster look.

16-01-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicciolina View Post
<3 Queensland.

Australia fashion is very into the hipster look.
It is. To be honest, I'm kind of over seeing camel toes while walking around. I went out the other weekend and I was hoping to see some cool style but that didn't happen. The guys that were mildly stylish were just wearing shirts with buttons done all the way up and girls... well, I was either flashed or they looked like they had been reading Russh.

19-01-2011
windowshopping

I'm finding everyone's comments really funny - everyone in Australia has such a negative view on ourselves. I am Australian but have lived in London for 5 years, and travel to NY, Paris, etc for work often. It's only once you remove yourself you realise actually Australia does a lot of things very well.

I miss not only the labels, but also the independent boutiques. Perhaps because it is a smaller market, and we are physically isolated, but I think there is more creativity and smaller labels and boutiques have the opportunity to thrive.

I get pretty sick of mass-market, mass-produced high street fashion, and independent stores and brands just aren't as accessible - if they even survive at all (here in the UK). And everyone here does 'look the same', it's just its a different 'same' to the 'same' in Australia. I think you'll find you get that in any country! In London it's all Topshop-fashion-victim look.

Like Cicciolina said, sure perhaps NY or London has a reputation of stylishness, but you don't hear about how fashionable Texas or Birmingham is! And does it really matter if you don't have a Balenciaga shop near you, how many people were -really- going to buy it anyway? I'd trade that for having access to Claude Maus, Willow or anyone else!

And to everyone who thinks Aust. is 6 months behind, I know of many ppl who work at big labels and forecasters who actually look to the catwalk and street style in Aust and Brazil in the southern hemisphere to get 'inspiration' for their collections. I definitely saw cycling shorts in Aust. long before the catwalks over here.

The sooner Australia gets over its inferiority complex, the better! The grass isn't always greener. Inevitably the high street chain-stores will take over and squeeze out all the creativity of the independent labels and boutiques, but until that happens I urge anyone living in Australia to savour every good moment you have!

19-01-2011
Brooklyn, baby!

I'm not from Australia, but I like a few Aussie brands a lot... LOVER, Willow, Milk from a Thistle, etc. Not highly original but perfectly wearable and fun!

21-01-2011
front row

Everyone here walks around in full length leggings with white socks pulled up over them and white canvas shoes/sneakers with a cropped top and leather jacket D= really ugly... and then you see those girls in Sportsgirl dresses thinking they love vintage *sigghhh*
Do you think the arrival of Zara to Melbourne and Sydney will improve streetstyle? (And slowly and hopefully the arrival of H&M Topshop etc...)

22-01-2011
tfs star

We have some incredible designers, an absolute wealth of creativity, but our streetstyle is painful. Especially now it's school holidays and every little girl is out wearing a cropped tshirt and carrying a Country Road tote bag. It's like you really have to hunt down people who make you look twice.

front row

^ you do indeed. Sydney is not as bad as Melbourne and Brisbane in my opinion. But there are some people with incredible style who catch your eye twice, sometimes!

23-01-2011
V.I.P.

In terms of "street style", I think there are some incredibly stylish women and men in Australia but we never get to see them because their style is not necessarily attention grabbing if you know what I mean. A lot of what we see of Australian street style is awful because the photographers seek out a very edgy, young and "avant-garde" style. We need someone with a The Sartorialist-like classicism. I see people that are impeccabley dressed every day, but they are not trendy, hence not being noticed by the fashion set.

In terms of designers, I think that the stand outs (for me) are Josh Goot and Dion Lee. I'm not too convinced by designers like Willow and Sass&Bide etc. For me, the latter group of designers are more trendy and prepared to cut costs in order to make profit. The former group is more focused on pure design aesthetic (even though Josh Goot has a diffusion line) and on creating a vocabulary between the local and international design aesthetic (if that makes sense).

27-01-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspistol View Post
Especially now it's school holidays and every little girl is out wearing a cropped tshirt and carrying a Country Road tote bag. It's like you really have to hunt down people who make you look twice.
Also what you see here in New Zealand. I kind of die a little when I see tanorexic girls wearing denim cut-offs, crop tops, black hi-top chucks and the floppy country road tote.

I'm sure Australia is beyond better than what you would see here in New Zealand.

27-01-2011
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
In terms of "street style", I think there are some incredibly stylish women and men in Australia but we never get to see them because their style is not necessarily attention grabbing if you know what I mean. A lot of what we see of Australian street style is awful because the photographers seek out a very edgy, young and "avant-garde" style. We need someone with a The Sartorialist-like classicism. I see people that are impeccabley dressed every day, but they are not trendy, hence not being noticed by the fashion set.
This is so true. The 'street style' bloggers here are infatuated with a certain look.

28-01-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicciolina View Post
I used to love Russh, but their current issues are so too-cool-for-school. I have a whole heap of their old issues which I still love to flick through.
i really do agree with this to be honest, which saddens me. I think the last issue i truly loved of Russh was the one with tony ward and ieva laguna, and even some of the issues before that were a bit hit and miss... Stevie Dance and the team is awesome but i also agree it has become a bit hipster of late.

in terms of designers, and i feel really unpatriotic when i say this, but nowadays i don't really bother to look when new australian collections come out - i just feel a lot of it is a just recycled from the overseas collections shown only weeks before. Is this just me, i feel quite bad about this?

I do however have an appreciation for Wheels and Dollbaby, which i think is lovely [the 50's girl is coming out in me], and the brand was started in perth also which makes me happy, but honestly thats all really. Not that i can afford it however. These days i mainly tend to shop at Sportsgirl which i do really like, i do think you can find some good gems in there but sometimes i also think its a bit pricey. As for temt / valley girl - i do like these shops but seriously could the dresses be any shorter or the sizes be more out of whack?

Ahh anyway, i feel like i am winging [i was trying to be unbiased in this post] and i don't want to get started on the festival outfit trend / cotton bags and elmo shirts... but i seriously do love australia, i think its like "you want what you haven't got" kind of thing if this makes sense...

Last edited by dazzledbyedward; 28-01-2011 at 08:34 AM.
09-02-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by therawpower View Post
Alannah Hill ahhhhh
it kills me......i cant even walk into the store....
you people really have great opinions on australia fashion....
im going to melbourne in 10 days time....so...lets see what they wear....im excited, although its not my first time visiting melb.
Totally agree. I have no idea what the appeal is with Alannah Hill, it's really horrible..

But I do love Josh Goot and Dion Lee.

13-02-2011
windowshopping

I'm not overly excited about the Australian fashion industry. In my experience as a fashion blogger, I was (basically) ignored by them for years. I think unfortunately they have the 'too cool for school' attitude which is a real pity. Australians, in my opinion are too quick to rip you down. Not good. I find )generally speaking) that there aren't too many 'true' designers here, instead the institutions are spewing out production line designers who look like everyone else. How can this be rewarded? It makes my stomach turn. Europe nurtures creativity, Australia doesn't know what it is ...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
australia, australian, fashion, feel, members