How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-11-2010
front row

Any Australian members?? How do you feel about Australia's fashion?
Which Australia brand is your favorite?? How do you feel about australia fashion??
I have a feeling that Australia is a bit left out in the fashion world...is it just me?

25-11-2010
Once King

Is a lot of mid-priced brands for men still on that Goth Ninja tip (ex. Chronicles of Never) or flashy sportwear?

I used to follow Australian menswear a couple years go. Still on the mailing list for a handful of shops.

27-11-2010
scenester

I love Dion Lee and thats about it. I don't think Australian fashion design is particularly "bad" or anything, but I find his aesthetic appeals to me quite a lot. And its nothing derivative of New York fashion week thank god.

27-11-2010
rising star

I'm not too familiar with many of Austrailia's brands, but there is one Claude Maus that has a few interesting items....though it's rather hard to find. Only a few online stores carry it.

27-11-2010
front row

I'm with 50two, I only like Dion Lee. Oh and sass & bide. I don't really like Australian fashion very much, and Australian Vogue is horrendous!

27-11-2010
tfs star

A lot of Australian brands doesn't really suit my aesthetic... I like Bassike and that's all I can think of but I'm sure I have odd pieces here and there from brands I don't usually buy.

27-11-2010
scenester

What about Josh Goot!

backstage pass

^ yea dion lee, josh goot, romance was born, friedrich gray, are some of my favourites

rising star

Street style is unbelievably bad.

Labels I like are: Claude Maus, Romance Was Born, Lover, Dion Lee and Tina Kalivas.

29-11-2010
front row

^I think it depends where for street style, Melbourne (where I live) has amaaazing street style sometimes, and sometimes it's just everyone being clones as each other *sigh*.
Ohh can't believe I forgot about Josh Goot! And yeah Romance Was Born is very nice too.

01-12-2010
less is more

When I was much younger, I followed the Australian scene and read Vogue Australia (and had little contact international fashion) and thought it was great then. Nowadays, after so much exposure to international fashion, so much of Australian 'high' fashion looks derivative and amateur.

There are a few gems, as people have mentioned (Josh Goot, Dion Lee), but for the most part, designers who show in the fashion weeks here are so influenced by overseas sometimes you can barely see any originality.

I have to disagree about Romance Was Born though, who are one of the most over-hyped designers in recent years. I find most of the stuff they make horrendously ugly. I remember some Kirstie Clements quote from after she'd just seen their show: something like (and I'm paraphrasing) "oh, they're ready for Paris, so extremely talented". Woman, are you blind?

As for cheaper, everyday clothes. I struggle to find things I really like.

02-12-2010
front row

I agree with senorgemma that people tend to clone each other's style....aussie tend to wear the SAME THING, and i rarely see people wearing high heels during the day...
perhaps the only aussie magazine i found inspiring is RUSSH at the moment....
as for brands, i like LOVERS and Tristan Blair.

02-12-2010
windowshopping

I find Australian fashion so draining and dissapointing. I don't shop online so I just basically get what I can at the stores and that bums me out because the choice (especially for guys) is so limited. I find shopping to be the most draining thing and I tend to get really quite grumpy during it. I love fashion but Australia really isn't the place for it. As much as it tries, it's just always a bit cringe worthy. The worst thing about it is, it's so uninspiring.

02-12-2010
tfs star

I think Australian fashion is bland compared to every other fashion cities simply because-I'm just generalising- most people don't really care about fashion and high end brands. This is probably why Aus is noted to be 'laid back' hence why not a lot of people wear heels during the day(referencing previous post) and in conjunction it can be seen with the LACK of availability of high brands or simple retail stores (H&M, Topshop etc). I mean if there was a huge demands for designers than stores would have happen ages ago. I.e even Vietnam has Balenciaga store or and Australia doesn't... though there has some improvement with Sydney's Westfield opening some new stores.

02-12-2010
windowshopping

I think there a handful of Australian designers that are fantastic- the ones that come to mind and that are my personal favourites at the moment are Arnsdorf, Tina Kalivas, Akira Isogawa, Karla Spetic, TV, Josh Goot, Dion Lee, Dress Up and Gary Bigeni.

Australia is a small country though (by population) and we are far away so it's not surprising that we have less exposure internationally. But I think slowly but surely interest in Australian labels is growing, both in Aus and overseas. And yep generally most people are pretty laid back with dressing but I also think that is slowing changing too, but then I'm from Melbourne where there are lots of really wonderfully dressed/fashion conscious people so I can't really comment on other cities.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
australia, australian, fashion, feel, members