How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-05-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by banana@May 6th, 2004 - 12:03 am
Aldo Rossi- Architecture of the city. I don't really feel like looking for my book right now but maybe tomorrow.

Also, Frank Lloyd Wright's prairie houses weren't extremely functional. His clients would often complain about the roofs leaking and his response was "move the dining room table".
I don't think you're interpreting Rossi's position on this quite correctly:

I happen to have the book right beside me and I found the following excerpt on page 48:

"So conceived, function, physiological in nature, can be likened to a bodily organ whose function justifies its formation and development and whose alterations of function imply an alteration of form. In this light, functionalism and organicism, the two principal currents which have pervaded modern architecture, reveal their common roots and the reason for their weakness and fundamental ambiguity. Through them form is divested of its most complex derivations: type is reduced to a simple scheme of organization, a diagram of circulation routes, and architecture is seen as possessing no autonomous value. Thus the aesthetic intentionality and necessity that characterize urban artifacts and establish their complex ties cannot be further analyzed."

It would take far too lengthy an explanation (not to mention out of topic) to translate his theoretic discourse into common English, but Rossi's views, along with those other theorists termed "rationalists" by critics, are simply an effort to resolve the seemingly dichotomous nature of form and function (something which almost all architectural academics try and try to do...). In absolutely NO WAY is he stating that form is of a higher priority than function in architecture.

As for Wright, he belonged to an entirely different era, and while he was a staunch opponent to the International Style and modernism in general, he was one of the first architects to raise the issue of the need for a structure to be of, and reconcile with, its site. That was a distinctly functional notion, and paved the way to modern architecture's concern with environmental sustainability. The incident you described simply reflects a construction defect on his houses, and his notorious aversion to any form of criticism to his work.

06-05-2004
backstage pass

The prairie house leaking was not result of a construction defect but of his design. The prairie house is known for having a flatter roof which allows water to collect and rot out the material causing it to leak.

Obviously everything is created with an intended use. Even monuments that have been built solely to be admired serve a purpose. Rossi critiques the classification of built forms by their functions. From my perspective having (if one compares architecture to urban planning), the rejection of classification implies that a well designed form can serve various functions without serious alteration to the structure of the building itself. But yes, this is going WAY off topic and I don't agree with Rossi's views on urban design anyway.

06-05-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

without journeying into the theoretical (bc i think everyone here can acknowledge your obvious [and ostentatious] display of architectural jargon), can you clarify your position?

you say that the issue of a shower head fashioned in the shape of a lion is an ornament, but the larger structure is design? where do aesthetics fit in for you? most interior designers i know use art quite liberally to shape the idea of a room -- not only the classic arts but use aesthetics of a situation to guide wall placement and how pipes will look and where doors should go -- instead of the simple functionality of it. the functionality limits the art much in the same way a canvas limits and artist. i've seen engineers hired and design projects take several months bc the designer has rejected the pragmatic approach and decided against things that have obvious function (removing a load bearing column for example) simply because it didn't fit into the picture they made.

leaving the scholarly (and pedantic) out of your discourse, what do you suggest inspires unique design outside of mere function?

front row

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@May 6th, 2004 - 6:57 am
without journeying into the theoretical (bc i think everyone here can acknowledge your obvious [and ostentatious] display of architectural jargon), can you clarify your position?

you say that the issue of a shower head fashioned in the shape of a lion is an ornament, but the larger structure is design? where do aesthetics fit in for you? most interior designers i know use art quite liberally to shape the idea of a room -- not only the classic arts but use aesthetics of a situation to guide wall placement and how pipes will look and where doors should go -- instead of the simple functionality of it. the functionality limits the art much in the same way a canvas limits and artist. i've seen engineers hired and design projects take several months bc the designer has rejected the pragmatic approach and decided against things that have obvious function (removing a load bearing column for example) simply because it didn't fit into the picture they made.

leaving the scholarly (and pedantic) out of your discourse, what do you suggest inspires unique design outside of mere function?
You're a funny guy. You asked for me to draw a line in a theoretical issue as a trained and practicing architect, and you actually expected me not to draw from my training in my explanation?

What I said wasn't even strictly architectural design terms - anyone familiar with art and architectural history would be able to comprehend them.

But clearly you're not getting the key difference between an ornament, a superficial form of sculptural practice with cues and shapes taken referentially, such as a lion shower head (or a French dormer window, or a Corinthian column), and the result of conscious, original design, with forms derived specifically from the subject's role and function.

To put it in even more simplistic terms, a lion head does not affect the hardware's function - it may actually very well hinder it. A "designed' shower head would possess a form integral to its function - a larger base would result in a wider distribution of water streams, a thicker depth might yield a higher water pressure.

You can't be more wrong in stating that function "limits" the potential for fruitful, constructive design. On the contrarty, it fuels it. The yearning for better functioning archifacts, and our ever changing needs, are the sole reason why the discipline of design exists in the first place.

06-05-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by banana@May 6th, 2004 - 1:01 am
The prairie house leaking was not result of a construction defect but of his design. The prairie house is known for having a flatter roof which allows water to collect and rot out the material causing it to leak.

Obviously everything is created with an intended use. Even monuments that have been built solely to be admired serve a purpose. Rossi critiques the classification of built forms by their functions. From my perspective having (if one compares architecture to urban planning), the rejection of classification implies that a well designed form can serve various functions without serious alteration to the structure of the building itself. But yes, this is going WAY off topic and I don't agree with Rossi's views on urban design anyway.
Flat roofed structures have existed ever since the dawn of the modern age. What we call a "flat roof" is actually invariably very gently sloped to faciliate the drainage of water. A leakage problem in a flat roofed house is much more likely a problem on behalf of the drainage system, and not that of the design of the house itself. A "flatter" roof does not inherently result in such problems - because if so the International Style would've been known as a leaking nightmare from hell, not the design icon (for better or for worse) it has become.

12-05-2004
backstage pass

I believe that certain frms of fashion such as couture, embriodery work, even hand tailoring can be considered fine art. The fact that these things are done by hand are one thing but the outcome can be simply amazing. Yes there is a huge degree of skill needed and the end result has to be functional to some degree, but i say these things can be works of art. Manipulating fabric, surface design, draping, pattern making- some people can do these things and others are pure genius at it. I am fashion designer and I have seen things that i could never in a million years do. Just take a look at couture from the last century and if you do not see art anywhere you must be blind.

15-05-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Orochian@May 6th, 2004 - 2:26 pm
You're a funny guy. You asked for me to draw a line in a theoretical issue as a trained and practicing architect, and you actually expected me not to draw from my training in my explanation?

But clearly you're not getting the key difference between an ornament, a superficial form of sculptural practice with cues and shapes taken referentially, such as a lion shower head (or a French dormer window, or a Corinthian column), and the result of conscious, original design, with forms derived specifically from the subject's role and function.
quite the contrary, i think that your training and practice as an architect has limited your view on the artfulness of many different aspects of life ....my point is that when objects (including garments) are designed not for their function but purely for their artfulness and aesthetic and happen to have a function (a verdura gold bracelet that has a watch charm...a watch which happens to actually function as a real time piece)...they do fall under the umbrella of art. we're not talking about embellishing something functional with ornamentation or adorning it with other objets d'art; we're talking about things thought up for no other reason than their appearance and then trying to bring those into the real world.

front row

What is art?
Again, answer however you like...

03-07-2005
fashion icon

Its a way to express yourself. To tell things you cant in other aspects of life.

03-07-2005
backstage pass

It is a way of expressing your deep and inner feelings and emotions. Many people do this throuhg different kind of art. Andy Warhol turned to painting, Christina Aguilera does it through her music. Poetry, sculpture, writing, design, fashion, etc. are all examples of art.

A man sees in the world what he carries in his heart.
- Johann Wolfgang Goethe, from "Faust"
03-07-2005
fashion icon

it can be performance too.

03-07-2005
front row

In keeping with the "What is beauty?" thread... where I felt that beauty was something that connected meaningfully with our own experience, art is simply the manifestation in an object of that "beauty."

In other words, taking the experience of beauty and making it into something, crystalizing it materially and thus making it last. It is an object, but it is also a "copy", once removed, of an intangible experience. So, it is "artificial"... or art.

This is certainly true for actual objects like paintings or poems, but this also holds for performances, songs, etc. Anything "rendered."

John

03-07-2005
fashion icon

Everyone can express himseld through different aspects of art.
"That" could be "art" for me and not for "you"

I think that if someone "sees himself" in an object, song, poem, thats art!

03-07-2005
front row

Agree completely. Since no two people's experience (or experience of beauty) is the same, by necessity their art would always be different and expressed in different ways. As you said, if someone doesn't see himself/herself in something... then it certainly isn't art. It is just any other object.

John

Last edited by rach2jlc; 03-07-2005 at 07:04 PM.
03-07-2005
fashion icon

Indeed

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, design, fashion, meet