How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-07-2010
V.I.P.

Yeah ... it get's very tiring if you are around an attention whore for very long. At first they are fun and interesting ... I find them entertaining. Then it becomes tedious and repititious and I just loose interest in them altogether.

Also, it's very hard to stay a friend of an attention whore. A good friend makes sure that you are granted some special attention too ..... it has to work both ways or the freindship is never that worthwhile.

18-07-2010
Noblesse oblige

I don't like to judge why people dress their way. Some might dress in order to get attention, others dress in order NOT to get attention. Some clothes will give you attention in certain environments but not in others. I don't care much about how other people dress and why they do it. Of course I have my opinions but I keep them for myself unless they are positive and I rarely start to make theories about people's reasons to dress the way they do.
As for myself, I certainly sometimes dress to get attention. I am a musician and perform as a soloist, so in these situation I should have attention. But of course the clothes doesn't do it alone! Probably some people think that some of my more crazy outfits are hiddeous, but others really like it - not only because of the clothes, but also because they like to see that someone dares to differ.

18-07-2010
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarina View Post
I don't like to judge why people dress their way. Some might dress in order to get attention, others dress in order NOT to get attention. Some clothes will give you attention in certain environments but not in others. I don't care much about how other people dress and why they do it. Of course I have my opinions but I keep them for myself unless they are positive and I rarely start to make theories about people's reasons to dress the way they do.
As for myself, I certainly sometimes dress to get attention. I am a musician and perform as a soloist, so in these situation I should have attention. But of course the clothes doesn't do it alone! Probably some people think that some of my more crazy outfits are hiddeous, but others really like it - not only because of the clothes, but also because they like to see that someone dares to differ.
I really agree with that last bit.

lol @ Luxx

20-07-2010
front row

Well, there are attention whores everywhere, I just think it's fun to see them trying so hard.

V.I.P.

The worst ones are facebook whores...

But satisfaction brought it back
21-07-2010
flaunt the imperfection

^^what's a facebook whore?...

you mean if they post loads of pics of themselves on their profile...?

21-07-2010
fashion icon

I can't stand attention whores, they always make everything about themselves when sometimes it really isn't about them, its about others. On one hand I feel sorry for these types of people, obviously something is lacking in their life so they feel the need to always cry for attention. Yet, on the other hand some just always want to be the center of attention, whether its by wearing crazy getups or by being loud and obnoxious.

22-07-2010
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
^^what's a facebook whore?...

you mean if they post loads of pics of themselves on their profile...?
oh god... i think the facebook whores are a breed unto themselves...
posting about every unnecessary status update in their day
posting an obscene amount of self pics where they are "sexily" mugging for the camera
i'm thinking of one girl in particular that i know who posted an entire album of a vacation she took by herself..
which included copious full body photos of her on the beach... that she set the timer on her camera to take.. so awkward!

obviously she got my attention and i don't feel good about it

but fashion-wise i think the whole anna dello russo and carine comparison is really interesting...
anna is definitely an attention whore and i think she looks like a clown most of the time but somehow i'm curious to see what she'll show up in...
carine just always sort of looks like herself no matter what she's wearing or how on-trend her outfit is...
you can't say the same about anna dello russo...
except that she almost always looks like a caricature...
she has those fleeting moments where she wears age appropriate, stylish clothes that flatter her... but alas, those moments are rare

i for one, am most definitely NOT an attention whore...
i like for my clothes to be stylish and perhaps a bit more daring at times than what others would choose to wear, but on the whole i'm not going to be stopping traffic and causing a big reaction
i think on the whole i can be rather shy/reticent among people i don't know, so i like for my clothes to reveal a little bit of my true personality -- meaning that i'm not as much of a wallflower as i initially project

Last edited by ChrissyM; 22-07-2010 at 04:52 PM.
22-07-2010
front row

^^ Also ones who post statuses that are aimed at boyfriends or ex's and are just complaining about stuff.
I hate that, i just think um.. don't you have them on facebook, as if them reading that is going to do any good for the situation!
And people complaining just to get sympathy and attention.

23-07-2010
Noblesse oblige

In fact, I don't think the problem of being an "attention whore" has very much to do with dressing. You can dress outrageously and still be very conscious of other people. And you can wear a simple tee and jeans and dominate a whole group of people.

23-07-2010
trendsetter

i agree but i think that applies more in terms of the 'real' world, not fashion. there are SO many extrovert people in fashion because in the end of the day, it's all about the people you know, so the more 'life of the party' you are, the best for you. so i think people like anna della russo that dress up for photogs and to get attention during fashion week feel like they HAVE to take it a step further because there are so many 'dominating' people that they must stand out in the obvious way. i don't know if in the end it all boils down to insecurity but there's definitely a lot of 'wanting all the attention for yourself' in there...

24-07-2010
unspecified

I think the relation with fashion is when people use a certain style that isn't true to themselves in order to get attention, and they yell for it while wearing it as an instrument to enhace the loudness. And then, other people relate non-conventional fashion=attention seeking even if it is not necessarily true.

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
24-07-2010
Amour Comme Hiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie123 View Post
agreed completely. anna dello russo has openly admitted that now she dresses for the photographers and bloggers, doing various clothes changes a day. she obviously loves the attention, otherwise she wouldn't go out of their way to please them.

i read an interview with tommy ton (jak & jil), in the new Industrie mag i think, where he said that last fashion week carine actually wore the same coat to every show, making it impossible for the street photogs to get any fresh shots of her. she's obviously not in it to be papped or get attention, in fact, it looks like the opposite!
That seems to be a trend... often times the most talented, powerful people in fashion (Carine, Anna Wintour, Grace Coddington, Emmanuelle Alt, pretty much every designer) rarely make a scene with the way they look- their work speaks for them. It's the bloggers and the, er, personalities that tend to overcompensate for a lack of authority by becoming these fashion caricatures, in a way. Or maybe it's just their way of expressing creativity- on themselves as opposed to on the pages of a magazine or in a collection.

24-07-2010
don't look down

A person in a position of power doesn't need to spend their time playing a pantomime horse.

Yet there are people who have made a career out of dressing eccentrically in ways that have involved a lasting commitment, which I rather admire - Anna Piaggi has been doing her thing for decades, long before the internet ever materialised, never mind the rise of blogging as an excuse for an endless cavalcade of visual extroversion. Regardless of fashion or public opinion, Anna has continued to dress as she does, and to share her thoughts. I doubt many people possess her sort of stamina.

V.I.P.

I can't believe that there would be anyone who would love an attention whore...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
attention, em, hate, whoreslove