How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-07-2010
clever ain't wise

^I think that depends a lot on how you define it...attention whore indicates a person that would do anything in order to get attention. I would not put someone with as refined style as Anna Piaggi in that bracket.

24-07-2010
trendsetter

Maybe Karl is talented, but I hate him. Fashion designer shouldnt be a celebrity, u know that.

24-07-2010
Amour Comme Hiver

^ Just out of curiosity, why not? What he does directly effects our day to day lives much more than, say, an actor, and I would argue that it takes more talent- a combination of artistic talent and business savvy. I think he merits being a celebrity more than most "celebrities" do...

25-07-2010
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma View Post
That seems to be a trend... often times the most talented, powerful people in fashion (Carine, Anna Wintour, Grace Coddington, Emmanuelle Alt, pretty much every designer) rarely make a scene with the way they look- their work speaks for them. It's the bloggers and the, er, personalities that tend to overcompensate for a lack of authority by becoming these fashion caricatures, in a way. Or maybe it's just their way of expressing creativity- on themselves as opposed to on the pages of a magazine or in a collection.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I've personally never seen any of those women you mentioned wearing something that seems to have been planned for the cameras, and yet someone like Anna is still heavily photographed. Same with Carine. She could wear nothing but a black pencil skirt, a jacket and some heels and she'd still be photographed to death. I don't even think it's their work alone that gets them attention, it's they're presence, or style, or whatver you'd like to call it. They simply don't need to make any effort to be noticed.

To me, Anna Piaggi is a great example of somebody who dresses in an extremely attention grabbing way but doesn't seem to be doing it for the sake of getting attention. For some reason she strikes me as someone who is most concerned with pleasing herself, almost as if she's oblivious to the attention she no doubt receives. I also don't doubt that she dresses like that whether the cameras are on her or not.

25-07-2010
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain1914 View Post
Maybe Karl is talented, but I hate him. Fashion designer shouldnt be a celebrity, u know that.
Fashion designers, or rather talented fashion designers, have been celebrities since Worth started dressing Europe's elite. Why shouldn't someone like Karl, who is that good at what he does and who is as influential as he is be famous for it?

26-07-2010
front row

I'd say I hate attention whores, because I link them with being egocentric and self-centred in general. Plus I don't love anything that's "in-your-face", loud and eccentric just for the sake of it - not that I don't love daring or someone who dares - but people who try too hard just get on my nerves. I love someone who is genuinely spontaneous and effortless.

As for the Carine-Anna debate, I love them both, equally, but I don't think Anna is an attention whore, she's always dressed that way, way before the whole blogging & streetstyle thing: colorful, sexy, sometimes not age-appropriate. I love her because she's so madly in love with fashion and clothes, I can connect with that so well.

26-07-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
how do you feel about getting attention?
do you care if the attention is positive or negative?
do you seek approval for what you are wearing...?
or do you simply want to get people to look at you and notice you...?
(...)
how do you feel about others who do this as well...?
i think most attention whores are actually the opposite deep inside than they are on the outside. i only get mad when they deny their obvious nature, otherwise i view them as people who need help. they're only desperate for any kind of attention because i don't think they see who they are. they rely on others to judge them and to provide them feedback so they can 'build' a personality & matching looks from that. then they start to see themselves as that built picture.... and it's hard to turn back from that.
yeah, i used to be in their shoes some time ago, but i'm not proud of it...

Last edited by kriszti.md; 26-07-2010 at 07:10 AM.
26-07-2010
Looking Up

"The only people who deserve attention are the ones who don't work for it."
This rules out a large portion of the fashion industry.

As for everyday life, attention whores are everywhere. And they're increasing. The world is becoming more and more self-centred. Everything is always about me, me, me. It's never about putting people before you anymore.

Anna Dello Russo is only the tip of the iceberg. And it's a big iceberg.

15-08-2010
scenester

I think it's quite harsh to jump to suchs conclusions when as of yet noone in this thread has mentioned the word FUN. I don't know about any of you but to me that's what fashion is all about; I don't see the dressing-up-box claim as an insult, i think fashion can be a wonderful escape from monotony and stress in everyday life. I'm sure im not alone when i say that i find great pleasure it putting together outfits i love, outfits that to me, tell a story; are a character, and i look forward to going somewhere, even somewhere unexciting, if its an excuse to wear such outfits.

I think a lot is down to personal taste, I for one admire Daphne Guinness and her style, though im sure many of you would consider her an 'attention whore'. Daphne has said of her style "I do it for the old people who laugh at me in airports", a quote which makes me smile and i can really relate to, in both my rural hometown and cities i get strange looks, comments and s******s from people for my 'over the top' outfits but in some ways this encourages me, not as a desire and thrive on the attention, but however strange this may sound, i sort of like to think im annoying some of those close-minded people!
also, i agree with the old ladies comment, on the occasions i recieve compliments, they often tend to be from old ladies with smiles on their faces.

I agree that there seem to be many out there how to just dress for attention; the 'scenesters', some bloggers, the Lady Gagas of the world, but i can't help but have some respect for these people for one reason alone, I LOVE to see someone make an effort. I am nostalgic of times of dappa gentlemen with shiny shoes and their hair slicked back, and when women wouldnt be seen without their dramatic hats and rouged lips. I am thankful for the freedom of choice and expression we have nowadays, i just wish more people would choose to express. I would favour a so called 'attention whore' over someone in jeans and trainers anyday.

16-08-2010
fashion icon

^ I have to agree with you on one aspect, that I love seeing someone make an effort with the clothes they wear. I do respect that they can continually dress up for an occasion, it seems like so few people do now days, however overall attention whores annoy me to no end. I think its not so much the clothes they wear but their attitudes, they think they are all that when in reality they aren't. I don't have a problem if someone wears a loud outfit but I do have a problem when they try to get as much publicity from it as they can and that I think lies in the differences of the Anna Piaggi's and the Anna Dello Russo's of the world. Piaggi isn't looking for publicity for her looks whereas Dello Russo most certainly is.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 16-08-2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: spelling error
16-08-2010
Fashion Designer

i love ADR, she is fun to watch and hear but the website dedicated to only her personal style, the elaborated frames on every picture and the jewerly, the posing it just seems too narcissistic to me. She doesnt need all that, she has a cool job and is actually good at it, so why bother? for the attention that is.

05-09-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
^ I have to agree with you on one aspect, that I love seeing someone make an effort with the clothes they wear. I do respect that they can continually dress up for an occasion, it seems like so few people do now days, however overall attention whores annoy me to no end.
I agree- I think the pursuit of an "effortless" look is overrated if it automatically leads to anyone who's actually made an effort getting called names for "trying too hard". How much "trying" is "just right", anyway? And what's wrong with people having some fun with what they wear?

And not everyone who dresses differently from the average person looks like an attention whore- Anna Piaggi is one great example, Iris Apfel is another, and on the younger side, I've always had tremendous admiration for Susie Bubble. All three ladies have a rather offbeat sense of style, but whenever I see a picture of one of them wearing something that's a little quirky, I don't get the feeling they wear it because it's weird- they wear it because it's them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I think its not so much the clothes they wear but their attitudes, they think they are all that when in reality they aren't. I don't have a problem if someone wears a loud outfit but I do have a problem when they try to get as much publicity from it as they can and that I think lies in the differences of the Anna Piaggi's and the Anna Dello Russo's of the world. Piaggi isn't looking for publicity for her looks whereas Dello Russo most certainly is.
At least ADR is up front about it- I still remember feeling absolutely boggled when she spoke of planning outfits six months beforehand, even though I knew that streetstyle for fashion editors isn't 100% spontaneous.

But I agree with you on attitude being what determines whether someone is an attention whore or not. Like I said earlier, Susie Bubble might dress off-kilter sometimes but she really doesn't come off as an attention-seeker, it's just the way she likes to dress and it's intrinsic to her. Or the girls in FRUiTS magazine, it's rather brilliant to see people who really do seem to dress a certain way because that's what suits them and not just because they know it'll catch a photographer's eye.

06-10-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellat View Post
i love ADR, she is fun to watch and hear but the website dedicated to only her personal style, the elaborated frames on every picture and the jewerly, the posing it just seems too narcissistic to me. She doesnt need all that, she has a cool job and is actually good at it, so why bother? for the attention that is.
I guess the fact she is good at her job is subjective, but every editorial of ADR's I've seen is pretty much a carbon copy of looks she would/could do for herself. Whatever, if you like that look, but her work definitely isn't about creating a character or telling a story...that character is HER.

06-10-2010
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
I agree- I think the pursuit of an "effortless" look is overrated if it automatically leads to anyone who's actually made an effort getting called names for "trying too hard". How much "trying" is "just right", anyway? And what's wrong with people having some fun with what they wear?
first, let's hope everyone is having fun!...

as far as trying too hard...
i think that it is trying to hard when one has obviously put a lot of effort into a look and fails to pull it off...
that is when it's not cool...
it's like...
you tried so hard to look cool by wearing something VERY trendy or VERY weird...
and you just end up looking silly...either because it doesn't suit you or doesn't flatter...
or simply isn't authentic...

that's what i think anyway..
:p

07-10-2010
fancypants

who's really to know what's too much? we all have different tastes. the attention whore to you may not be so to the next person. I really neither love them or hate them.. I'm usually like, "huh... interesting." live and let live

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
attention, em, hate, whoreslove