How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
05-09-2011
  61
V.I.P.
 
Not Plain Jane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Gender: femme
Posts: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarina View Post
In general pop stars are very bad musicians with very poor skills so they need to do something with their looks to make people buy their music. The music means almost nothing.
Simulacra! The "pop" world is full of it.

There is plenty of emptiness circulating around, shadowing likenesses. So many of us are in Plato's cave watching the shadows, and we don't even know it. Only crawling out and being blinded by the sun - something real - will help. But would we even recognise it? :p

  Reply With Quote
 
05-09-2011
  62
trendsetter
 
Melisande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Paris/Tokyo
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,401
Gaga is the attention whore par excellence. Not only that, but she is freaking pretentious. "I am Brechtian...I am Warholian...I am, my art is..." she clings desperately at other people's talents to give meaning to herself (besides, how embarrassingly ignorant and oooold to quote Warhol whose very "artistry" itself was questionable). We all know that true artists allow their work to speak for themselves and are more often than not very reticent about promoting it or speaking about it (often their difficulty to communicate outside their art gives them the impetus to create in the first place), and an immediate big red flag goes up when I see artists and musicians talking too much about the meaning of their work.

Who would she be, what would her songs be without her clothes and videos? Sure, she has a good voice, but so do millions of others. Her so-called "sociopolitical statements" are merely excuses added later to justify her whoring, not the motivation for her work...if that was her real motivation, why not explore these issues in her songs???? Let's just be real already!

I enjoy her music and it's fun and catchy, and her videos and outfits provide cheap and sugary distraction, but without the pretentious personality drama please. The thing about Madonna on the other hand, is that one gets the sense she is genuine...genuine in her egocentricism, megalomania, and rather touchingly, her sometimes misguided but nonetheless earnest search for meaning in life and her work. Anyway I'll get off my huge ranting high horse now. :p

  Reply With Quote
05-09-2011
  63
windowshopping
 
Lalique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Gender: femme
Posts: 32
And there are too many attention whores with no talent for acting, singing, modeling, or what have you.
They dress desperately badly, hoping against hope they'll end up in some magazine for their outrageousness- and they usually do-- it the back of a National Enquirer in the "don't do this" line up!

  Reply With Quote
05-09-2011
  64
backstage pass
 
Fewormany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Europe
Gender: homme
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
i think it's all backfiring now...
it seems that people have gotten pretty accustomed to this over-the-top, attention-seeking way of dressing...
and they aren't that interested anymore...
It's inevitable this would happen, you can't keep 'shocking' people.

I think slowly more and more people are getting tired of people crying out loud for attention, be it in singing, dressing or any other way. Not just with celebrities but also with people around us tweeting or facebooking about every meaningless thing they do.
So many people seem to busy projecting an image to the world of who they are and what they do that they're becoming caricatures of themselves.

The louder you scream, the fewer people will listen..

  Reply With Quote
05-09-2011
  65
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
Gaga is the attention whore par excellence. Not only that, but she is freaking pretentious. "I am Brechtian...I am Warholian...I am, my art is..." she clings desperately at other people's talents to give meaning to herself (besides, how embarrassingly ignorant and oooold to quote Warhol whose very "artistry" itself was questionable). We all know that true artists allow their work to speak for themselves and are more often than not very reticent about promoting it or speaking about it (often their difficulty to communicate outside their art gives them the impetus to create in the first place), and an immediate big red flag goes up when I see artists and musicians talking too much about the meaning of their work.
True artists come in different forms. It might not appeal to you with someone who is boisterous, but it might work for others.

Actually, her education is one of the few things I like about her. The fact that she can string sentences together and drop a few references is a step up from the air heads.

  Reply With Quote
05-09-2011
  66
V.I.P.
 
Not Plain Jane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Gender: femme
Posts: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
....I don't have a problem if someone wears a loud outfit but I do have a problem when they try to get as much publicity from it as they can and that I think lies in the differences of the Anna Piaggi's and the Anna Dello Russo's of the world. Piaggi isn't looking for publicity for her looks whereas Dello Russo most certainly is.
Agree on ADR. While I admire some of her outfits and chutzpah, it seems to be all about the photos and attention for her (i mean an album?! A doll of herself?!!). She seems incredibly narcissistic. It helps that she has millions of dollars, x-number of closets and thousands of shoes, I suppose. But how superficial to be preening for attention all the time just based on "street" appearances.

I like looking at editors' street styles, but I get the sense that while they all love fashion, while most of them like to style & play with clothes, it seems like only some of them are talented and work really hard.

  Reply With Quote
05-09-2011
  67
trendsetter
 
Melisande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Paris/Tokyo
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
True artists come in different forms. It might not appeal to you with someone who is boisterous, but it might work for others.
.
You're right, boisterous is fine, and even self-promoting and egoic is fine of course.

Still, I think that art and music should speak for themselves and be able to stand on their own, and artists who put any amount of care in doing that rarely take pleasure in needing to talk about it...because it only implies that the work is not doing its job. Or that it's more about you than the work.

Anyway, in the end it's a matter of taste and opinion... Lady Gaga is a topic of endless annoying and undeservedly heated debate among my artist friends.


Last edited by Melisande; 05-09-2011 at 02:04 PM.
  Reply With Quote
06-09-2011
  68
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
You're right, boisterous is fine, and even self-promoting and egoic is fine of course.

Still, I think that art and music should speak for themselves and be able to stand on their own, and artists who put any amount of care in doing that rarely take pleasure in needing to talk about it...because it only implies that the work is not doing its job. Or that it's more about you than the work.

Anyway, in the end it's a matter of taste and opinion... Lady Gaga is a topic of endless annoying and undeservedly heated debate among my artist friends.
I love attention whores who have something to show for it and detest the ones who are only driven by the desire to be seen and have nothing worth seeing.

Saying they shouldn't talk about their "art" is to restrict the type of person who can be an artist. Some are more temperamental and I wouldn't like to rule those out as sub par just because they're not able to conform to the artist's code of honor or something...

  Reply With Quote
06-09-2011
  69
V.I.P.
 
MyNameIs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,971
Lady "the meaningful artist" Gaga arguments always crack me up. Her picture should be in the dictionary next to "Attention Whore", case closed.

__________________
SNEJANA ONOPKA
  Reply With Quote
07-09-2011
  70
rising star
 
Kayote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Gender: homme
Posts: 169
Tctra, that is a bit harsh put together but I agree. There is nothing I admire about any of these girls yet they continue to get coverage after coverage. I just dont find any of them (espeically Kim) attractive or interesting.

However, I disagree with most of the comments here about Lady Gaga. Even if she is pretentious, the length she is willing to go to stay true to her image deserves something... whether its praise or ire is upto each of us & for her to bear.

__________________
Salman Khan, Kingpin @ CoutAllure, A startup about individualising fashion.
Google+: gplus.to/SalmanK
  Reply With Quote
07-09-2011
  71
trendsetter
 
Melisande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Paris/Tokyo
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
I love attention whores who have something to show for it and detest the ones who are only driven by the desire to be seen and have nothing worth seeing.
That is a good point. The problem is that pop culture today is so rampant with cheap attention whores, in comparison to whom Gaga, who is at least fun and talented, seems a veritable Beethoven.
(Which is, in my opinion, rather sad...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Saying they shouldn't talk about their "art" is to restrict the type of person who can be an artist.
I certainly hope so!

Just to clarify, I never said they shouldn't though.

  Reply With Quote
08-09-2011
  72
rising star
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Gender: homme
Posts: 147
Like others have said, what I feel for them is more pity than hate...usually. Now there's a woman I work with who dresses like a slutty 16-year-old even though she's 37 and always talks very loudly and has nothing intelligent or remotely interesting to say. There, I get annoyed, because I have to deal with her 5 days a week. Attention whores on the streets or in the media, meh, whatever...

I have never met an attention whore that was actually talented or had anything interesting to say. On the other hand, I have met a bunch of great artists over the years and there were a few "eccentrics", but mostly people that like to keep a low profile.

As for me: I don't dress for the attention, I dress according to how I feel and how the clothes or shoes will make me feel.

  Reply With Quote
08-09-2011
  73
Looking Up
 
Squizree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Gender: homme
Posts: 18,545
I think those who don't work for attention are those who deserve it.

  Reply With Quote
08-09-2011
  74
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
I think those who don't work for attention are those who deserve it.
But if that was the norm then the way to get attention was to seem like you don't want attention.

No. The people who should get attention are those who have something to show or say that is out of the ordinary or has an irresistible allure. Unfortunately, a lot of people either overestimate or underestimate themselves. The former is the case for most attention whores....

How many haven't encountered people like the one Katharrrina describes....you just want to throttle them, really. But it's not their fault. They're idiots and they mistakenly think if they can get close to looking like the girl on the Glamour cover they're somehow interesting.

  Reply With Quote
09-09-2011
  75
front row
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayote View Post
Tctra, that is a bit harsh put together but I agree. There is nothing I admire about any of these girls yet they continue to get coverage after coverage. I just dont find any of them (espeically Kim) attractive or interesting.
i honestly don't know why my post was deleted. this thread talks about fame whores and that lot are the very definition of it. For me, they suffer a trait worse than pretension (even though they are) and that is false modesty. I don't even know how or why they are famous. None of them have any talent whatsoever except one. - the talent for attention whoring, which they have mastered. They are a sad representative of young women today and an even worse role model for younger girls. Shallowness and vapidity coupled with pretense for 'caring' about issues are traits i absolutely despise and so so unattractive


Last edited by tctra; 09-09-2011 at 11:30 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
attention, em, hate, whoreslove
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.