How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
27-11-2006
  1
trendsetter
 
zamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: new york
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,096
The consequences of affordable collections
i have been thinking about something lateley.........
As more and more designers are doing collections for mass market retailers, and this seems to be the norm nowadays........
what do we think will be possible long term consequences of this trend. with respect to high fashion. (prices, quality, salability, excusivity etc.)
feel free to post negatives and positives

  Reply With Quote
 
27-11-2006
  2
backstage pass
 
belletrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Aix-en-Provence, French Riviera
Gender: homme
Posts: 521
Quality = good fabrics + workmanship = money
Democratic design = mass market = Helmut Lang and Jil Sander drama (and more designer to retire soon )
you CAN'T make something democratic that would still have a sense, that's impossible
Tarkovski once said "if classical music could be understood by anyone that doesn't belong to an elite, then it wouldn't have any quality or interest"
Remeber also what Marcel Proust answered to someone rude who asked him how to get invited to the marvellous parties to the Duchesse de ...: "Well... in fact these parties are fabulous precisely because you aren't invited"

+ the "second" line thing is blah. We have never seen a good second line, good design + good quality. D&G, See by Chloe, blah blah blah. And it destroyed the image of the brand. Burberry Prorsum will never be fully respected as long as everyone will be wearing those Burberry London scarves/etc

__________________
"Human Stupidity consists in having lots of ideas, but stupid ones" Henry de Montherlant
  Reply With Quote
27-11-2006
  3
Stitch:the Hand
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Among the trees
Gender: homme
Posts: 12,812
well,I think designers have been playing the masses for a long time anyway. i mean,look at the impact of Prada and Dior and the like. And celebrity. It's really been going on long before these endeavours so I don't believe doing something for some kind of retailer will make much difference on higher-fashion.


Last edited by Scott; 27-11-2006 at 10:46 AM.
  Reply With Quote
27-11-2006
  4
rising star
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: a shadow gallery
Posts: 140
Did Tarkovski really say that? He must be an idiot then.

What is it to "understand" classical music? To be moved by it? In that case many do. Even the lowliest peasant could appreciate the majesty of a divine mass and be moved by it. Is he then part of the "elite"? Sheesh!

It's like saying "if Jane Eyre could be understood by anyone that doesn't belong to an elite, then it wouldn't have any quality or interest." Really? How about Dumas then. His serialised novels have zero literary quality by this measure - since they were clearly meant for a popular audience. Is this what Tarkovski wants us to believe? Utterly perplexing.

The greater affront lies in his assertion that a work would be devoid of quality or interest if more people understood it - lol! What kind of drivelous nonsense is that?? Surely a work of art, or music, or literature or whatever is what it is by virtue of its own merits. Not because it is generally incomprehensible. This silly conceit is rendered in such breath-taking arrogance by Tarkovski it would be laughable were it not responsible for so much obscurantism in the arts today ("the less understood, the better it must be"). Self-serving nonsense.


Last edited by Karl.Popper; 27-11-2006 at 11:59 AM.
  Reply With Quote
27-11-2006
  5
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Popper
Did Tarkovski really say that? He must be an idiot then.

What is it to "understand" classical music? To be moved by it? In that case many do. Even the lowliest peasant could appreciate the majesty of a divine mass and be moved by it. Is he then part of the "elite"? Sheesh!

It's like saying "if Jane Eyre could be understood by anyone that doesn't belong to an elite, then it wouldn't have any quality or interest." Really? How about Dumas then. His serialised novels have zero literary quality by this measure - since they were clearly meant for a popular audience. Is this what Tarkovski wants us to believe? Utterly perplexing.

The greater affront lies in his assertion that a work would be devoid of quality or interest if more people understood it - lol! What kind of drivelous nonsense is that?? Surely a work of art, or music, or literature or whatever is what it is by virtue of its own merits. Not because it is generally incomprehensible. This silly conceit is rendered in such breath-taking arrogance by Tarkovski it would be laughable were it not responsible for so much obscurantism in the arts today ("the less understood, the better it must be"). Self-serving nonsense.
Well, perhaps an idiot/snob

Btw, don't believe drivelous is in the dictionary, but it should be ... what a delicious word

What the original remark seems to overlook is that unfortunately, anyone who exhibits any understanding of/appreciation for anything is automatically elite I don't know if that's just human nature, or the depths to which we have fallen (I rather suspect the latter), but it's certainly the place where we find ourselves ...

But I agree with you ... I continue to believe that anyone who's a fan of exclusivity for its own sake, or who believes it's a measure of anything, is really just an insecure snob with something to prove

__________________
Luxury is living a simple, elegant, and responsible life. Luxury is a reduction.
--Steven Volpe

  Reply With Quote
27-11-2006
  6
flaunt the imperfection..
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,503
i must not be part of the elite cause i have no idea who Tarkovski is...
...

Quote:
Remeber also what Marcel Proust answered to someone rude who asked him how to get invited to the marvellous parties to the Duchesse de ...: "Well... in fact these parties are fabulous precisely because you aren't invited"
and this kind of crap is exactly why i often turn down invites and prefer to stay home...
if these are the kind of jerks who ARE invited to these parties...
who would WANT to go...??!......

since when is being a rude jackass synonymous with having good taste???

****balderdash!!!

but i digress...
honestly...
i find most of the cheap stuff to be just that...
cheap...and not really very satisfying when it comes to scratching my itch for fashion...
sure- it tickles my fancy for a moment...
but it doesn't provide any sort of lasting satisfaction...
not the way the 'good stuff' does...

gimme the good stuff...!!...


:p

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
27-11-2006
  7
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,408
PS I find that "democratic" fashion tends to be targeted to the very young ... so if you don't want a mini-skirt or something that looks like it should be accessorized with a lollipop :p you're kinda forced to go for the "good stuff" ...

__________________
Luxury is living a simple, elegant, and responsible life. Luxury is a reduction.
--Steven Volpe

  Reply With Quote
27-11-2006
  8
flaunt the imperfection..
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,503
...
true---they know the grown ups have deeper pockets and they are still digging into ours...:p

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
27-11-2006
  9
trendsetter
 
zamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: new york
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,096
well, ive never been a part of the elite , dont care for the elite

  Reply With Quote
27-11-2006
  10
Stitch:the Hand
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Among the trees
Gender: homme
Posts: 12,812
I dunno about your last comment,fashionista-ta. In this sea of mass market and sameness,what's wrong with something exclusive? There's a huge difference between making something exclusive and being an elitist. Let's get that straight. Because,by creating something one-of-a-kind and rare,one doesn't actually disallow anybody not to enjoy it.

  Reply With Quote
27-11-2006
  11
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I dunno about your last comment,fashionista-ta. In this sea of mass market and sameness,what's wrong with something exclusive? There's a huge difference between making something exclusive and being an elitist. Let's get that straight. Because,by creating something one-of-a-kind and rare,one doesn't actually disallow anybody not to enjoy it.
Well, I'm not at all sure that you have to escape the mass market to escape sameness ... my whole life I've shopped the relative mainstream and never, not once, have I seen anyone wearing anything I have that I can recall. So I think personal style/taste is the route to uniqueness rather than exclusivity.

Not saying there's anything wrong with exclusivity ... but that in my mind anyway, an object has the same intrinsic value whether there's one or 10,000 of them. Yes, rarity has its appeal (and monetary value), but if you take away the rarity and nothing's left, the object was intrinsically worthless to start with.

I remember my aunt once discarded a blouse because she saw someone of another race wearing it ... I thought that was the action of a weak and narrow mind.

__________________
Luxury is living a simple, elegant, and responsible life. Luxury is a reduction.
--Steven Volpe

  Reply With Quote
27-11-2006
  12
front row
 
elschic111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 432
i definitely think the rise of demi-couture could be related to the increase in democratized design we've seen in recent years...

__________________
My blog, recently featured on Vogue.fr...
http://aestheticspluseconomics.typepad.com/aesthetics_economics/
  Reply With Quote
27-11-2006
  13
V.I.P.
 
lucy92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 12,070
i think everyone can apreciate something that's designed well. i think informed consumers are starting to want items designed by real people instead of just a faceless brand.

i think some people would argue here that some folks are just buying into a cult of personality thinking that their lagerfeld for H&M item is on par with lagerfeld's designs for chanel, which i would disagree with.

i also think designers are looking towards designing for function as well. target is selling a camera case designed by alice temperley this week. i'm sure that middle aged men that buy the camera + case goes with arent purchasing the item based on the design merits of the case.

i hope that companies like limited brands and the gap continue to sign up with designers. their survival might depend on it.

  Reply With Quote
27-11-2006
  14
chaos reigns
 
ultramarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Costa Rica
Gender: homme
Posts: 6,480
the consequences of democratic design?

"X designer" for Target ... Ralph Lauren being able to buy Club Monaco ... and P&G buying french labels just to make $$$ for perfume ...

In a nutshell... all the stuff that ruins fashion for me.

__________________
Have you rated this thread yet?
  Reply With Quote
27-11-2006
  15
trendsetter
 
zamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: new york
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine
the consequences of democratic design?

"X designer" for Target ... Ralph Lauren being able to buy Club Monaco ... and P&G buying french labels just to make $$$ for perfume ...

In a nutshell... all the stuff that ruins fashion for me.
well i would love for us to look at the future consequences, as i know this kind of thing ( high fashion designers designing for the mass market) has been around for a while, but it has never been as popular as it is now. i think it may create new challenges for us designers in the future, i am also predicting that it will create some unforeseeable (forgive me, i dont know if that is a word, as i am not among the literary elite ) negative consequence,
such as: ruining the image and prestige of brands, also possible closure of higher end collections with such designers going solely mass market.
feel free to examine the possible outcomes/ scenarios and post your comments..................

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
affordable, collections, consequences
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.