How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
23-10-2010
  61
front row
 
SoBlonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: homme
Posts: 458
I feel like someone who has such a high position in the field would be able to say, "You know there's 3 limbs there?" or "She looks fake."

  Reply With Quote
 
23-10-2010
  62
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBlonde View Post
I feel like someone who has such a high position in the field would be able to say, "You know there's 3 limbs there?" or "She looks fake."
Yes, indeed. It's hard to remove responsibility from retouchers when they actually produce ads where women have three legs.

  Reply With Quote
23-10-2010
  63
don't look down
 
tigerrouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Béal Feirste
Gender: femme
Posts: 12,215
Perhaps they develop a sort of myopia where being trained to focus on tiny details leads them to literally fail to see the big picture.

__________________
You're perfect, yes, it's true. But without me, you're only you.
  Reply With Quote
23-10-2010
  64
rising star
 
Jared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Gender: homme
Posts: 147
Whoever has the 'creative' input into how the final image should look, holds a lot of responsibility. It would be impossible to totally eradicate the level of retouching that is done, but they should try and find a happy medium where the essence of the original shot is retained and it portrays a more 'realistic' image.

  Reply With Quote
24-10-2010
  65
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Whoever has the 'creative' input into how the final image should look, holds a lot of responsibility. It would be impossible to totally eradicate the level of retouching that is done, but they should try and find a happy medium where the essence of the original shot is retained and it portrays a more 'realistic' image.
Well, one simple thing would be to save intermediate copies from the retouching process...

  Reply With Quote
25-10-2010
  66
backstage pass
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: surf/ski
Gender: femme
Posts: 549
i don't think it would hurt to put the word "retouched" (or variations thereof) to images that have been so. i know some people argue that it doesn't make a difference, because everyone knows that they're all retouched anyway, but speaking for myself--someone who has grown up loving fashion and reading fashion magazines and known pretty much from the start that all the pictures of beautiful models and celebrities are photoshopped to death--sometimes that knowledge just doesn't make it to the forefront of my brain when i'm looking at a gorgeous photo of the latest fashion darling. It's like, you know it but at the same time, you don't, or you forget. I hope this makes a bit of sense....it still happens to me all the time and even though I remind myself as I'm looking through magazines/online photos that "it's all fake, they're all retouched to look perfect" a lot of times I still feel the blows of low self-esteem, despite my knowledge of the work that was put into making the images look as perfect as they seem.

anyway just my opinion. maybe it wouldn't hurt.

__________________
fashion. styling. art. thoughts.
  Reply With Quote
25-10-2010
  67
V.I.P.
 
sethii's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Gender: homme
Posts: 19,788
Wouldn't it be more damaging to self esteem if people saw images of someone like Lara Stone or Miranda Kerr with 'Unretouched' tagged on at the bottom of the page?


newstoob.com

__________________

  Reply With Quote
25-10-2010
  68
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Well, one simple thing would be to save intermediate copies from the retouching process...
I don't think you quite 'get' the process of retouching... of course there are intermediate copies saved...

Sethii: If you were to see high-res photos of Miranda Kerr, she's human, she has pock marks, scars, little deposits of fat like any normal person. She's not this airbrushed creature of perfection. She has a body that 99% of the world cannot get, but she's still human.

Compare that to the overretouching in today's publications, and there's a huge difference.

  Reply With Quote
25-10-2010
  69
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVeed View Post
I don't think you quite 'get' the process of retouching... of course there are intermediate copies saved...
Either that or I could be applying the concept of irony to the conversation. Any point before Anja became three-legged would have been preferable, really, pox-marks or not.

Some of those ads that have come out from the likes of Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger would have been better with 10% of the retouching that was in fact done.

  Reply With Quote
25-10-2010
  70
you soft and only
 
blueorchid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethii View Post
Wouldn't it be more damaging to self esteem if people saw images of someone like Lara Stone or Miranda Kerr with 'Unretouched' tagged on at the bottom of the page?
No, I don't think so, because it would harken back to the days of the "supers" when people knew that only a few people "naturally" looked like a model. Nowadays with photoshop every model and celebrity can look unnaturally gorgeous and flawless.

  Reply With Quote
25-10-2010
  71
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Either that or I could be applying the concept of irony to the conversation. Any point before Anja became three-legged would have been preferable, really, pox-marks or not.

Some of those ads that have come out from the likes of Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger would have been better with 10% of the retouching that was in fact done.
Completely agree but again, those ads probably (not certain, but probably) were the art director's direction. Nothing a retoucher does can go past a director; the client is the one who dictates what to do and how far. Nothing can be published without the approval of the client.

There are tons of bad retouchers out there, as in any occupation, but nothing can go to press without the consent of the client.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
No, I don't think so, because it would harken back to the days of the "supers" when people knew that only a few people "naturally" looked like a model. Nowadays with photoshop every model and celebrity can look unnaturally gorgeous and flawless.
EXACTLY. This is also one of the reasons why it is next to impossible for another supermodel to emerge. Celebrities have taken their place, and why? Because they can look just as good as models now. Julianne Moore, gorgeous 40-something, retouched (very well, I might add) to look younger than Karen Elson on Vogue Paris. Any US Vogue cover you look at, you see these flawless celebrities with their beautiful bodies and their glowy skin.

Models once represented a small genetic pool of women who had an out-of-world presence, of beauty. When every single person on a magazine cover can look like that now, well... there's no need for a model spokeswoman anymore.

Drew Barrymore for Cover Girl anyone?

  Reply With Quote
25-10-2010
  72
V.I.P.
 
agee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Gender: femme
Posts: 6,113
I am totally OK with the idea of the retoucher getting a credit along with the photographer, makeup artist and other contributors to the photo on the grounds of fairness if nothing else.

I don't object to the tagging although I suspect that when all is said and done, almost every photo with a human is going to carry the tag which brings us back to square one. The bestest shot on the roll representing the model and photographer werkin' it may have to be retouched because of a wayward lock of hair or an untucked shirt.

I am going to re-ask a question that I asked earlier and that is, is less time being allotted for photo shoots and if so, are the editors and other clients relying on post-production wizardry to make up for having (made up numbers) 250 photos to choose from rather than 500. I think that I have heard that less time is being allotted, especially for location shoots but can that be confirmed as well as if that has changed the role and importance of the post-production process?


Last edited by agee; 25-10-2010 at 06:17 PM.
  Reply With Quote
25-10-2010
  73
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
I am totally OK with the idea of the retoucher getting a credit along with the photographer, makeup artist and other contributors to the photo on the grounds of fairness if nothing else.

I don't object to the tagging although I suspect that when all is said and done, almost every photo with a human is going to carry the tag which brings us back to square one. The bestest shot on the roll representing the model and photographer werkin' it may have to be retouched because of a wayward lock of hair or an untucked shirt.

I am going to re-ask a question that I asked earlier and that is, is less time being allotted for photo shoots and if so, are the editors and other clients relying on post-production wizardry to make up for having (made up numbers) 250 photos to choose from rather than 500. I think that I have heard that less time is being allotted, especially for location shoots but can that be confirmed as well as if that has changed the role and importance of the post-production process?
Maybe a little less time allotted because everything is shot digitally nowadays, but I'm not sure that's the reason. I think it's awareness, and clients learning more and more what Photoshop can do and how they can use it to sell their brand. Clients definitely rely more on post-production now. Even production designers, lighting, make-up artists, and stylists are lazier and more lax than they once were. Lazy models don't properly shave any more or beautify because... well, it can be taken care of in post-production now.

  Reply With Quote
27-10-2010
  74
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Romania
Gender: femme
Posts: 48
Ok THIS is toooo much: http://cocoperez.com/2010-10-26-just...ng-like-a-girl

  Reply With Quote
27-10-2010
  75
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Romania
Gender: femme
Posts: 48
Photoshop has gotten to a point where its laughable...and its disgusting to see

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
effects, photoshop, society
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.